More DamFlask

southside

Thank`s to you all for your maps & imput to my enquiry about DamFlask.

A bit more help required.

Most accounts point to the destruction of DamFlask after the flood, but the 1871 census return shows that six of the properties

were still lived in after the flood.

Were these properties part of a compulsory purchas order, if so do any records exist?

The image is page one of the DamFlask Census for 1871 RG10/4659/38 can anyone decipher the enumerators comments in the righthand column.

Regards

Southside

Can't make out all the writing but the last two words are almost certainly 'of Stannington'

I agree with Mike "of Stanninton" but as to the rest I am struggling

Hi Southside

Have you looked at this - are your relatives mentioned here? Sorry if you've already seen it! The maps attached to each claim may be of interest.

http://www2.shu.ac.uk/sfca/search.cfm?srch...p;submit=search

Thanks for your reply Dunsbyowl,

Yes my ancester did make a claim,but as with most of the claims at DamFlask, it appears most claimed for personal property but not for loss or damage to buildings, this made me think a compulsory purchase order was all ready in place at the time ready for the construction of the Dam.

Guest Leipzig

Thank`s to you all for your maps & imput to my enquiry about DamFlask.

A bit more help required.

Most accounts point to the destruction of DamFlask after the flood, but the 1871 census return shows that six of the properties

were still lived in after the flood.

Were these properties part of a compulsory purchas order, if so do any records exist?

The image is page one of the DamFlask Census for 1871 RG10/4659/38 can anyone decipher the enumerators comments in the righthand column.

Regards

Southside

Hi southside ;-)

The clue is to the left hand side, just to the left and slightly above the name Henry WRAGG, where it is written "End of Bradfield Ecclesiatrical District". The comments in the last column look like they are nothing to do with recording a disability, but say "Eccles' District of Stannington". The word Ecclesiatrical having been abreviated.

Kind regards

Leipzig

Hi southside ;-)

The clue is to the left hand side, just to the left and slightly above the name Henry WRAGG, where it is written "End of Bradfield Ecclesiatrical District". The comments in the last column look like they are nothing to do with recording a disability, but say "Eccles' District of Stannington". The word Ecclesiatrical having been abreviated.

Kind regards

Leipzig

Thanks Leipzig