Sheffield Union Workhouse, Fir Vale

JoeG

Just a piece of information for all those out there that may or may not have had ancestors in the old workhouses - I found out today that the address put on Birth Certificates (and, presumably, Death Certificates) for births in the Sheffield Union Workhouse, Fir Vale (now the Northern General Hospital) was 2, Smilter Lane.

So, check all those birth certificates you have for the 'When and where born' box and if it says 2 Smilter Lane then I'm afraid your ancestor was born in the workhouse! :(

Just a piece of information for all those out there that may or may not have had ancestors in the old workhouses - I found out today that the address put on Birth Certificates (and, presumably, Death Certificates) for births in the Sheffield Union Workhouse, Fir Vale (now the Northern General Hospital) was 2, Smilter Lane.

So, check all those birth certificates you have for the 'When and where born' box and if it says 2 Smilter Lane then I'm afraid your ancestor was born in the workhouse! :(

Was that the same for Death Certs ? I'm sure I posted about "The Most Common Address in Sheffield" ages ago, it was certainly a low number; blowed if I can remember where I posted it, carried on long after the workhouse days, certainly into the 1950's.

Welcome to the Site and Thanks for posting JoeG.

Was that the same for Death Certs ? I'm sure I posted about "The Most Common Address in Sheffield" ages ago, it was certainly a low number; blowed if I can remember where I posted it, carried on long after the workhouse days, certainly into the 1950's.

Welcome to the Site and Thanks for posting JoeG.

Yes, it was the same for death certificates.

However, for deaths the death occured not at the Workhouse itself but at the attached Union Infirmary which was the forerunner of the Northern General Hospital.

I don't know for certian as my last death cert with Smilter Lane on is from 1920 but would suspect it is the same as it seems too much of a coincidence.

If you really want all the info on the history of the NGH and Workhouse you should look at Lyn Howsam's books " Memories of the Workhouse & Old Hospital at Firvale" & "Life in the Workhouse & Old Hospital at Firvale". On this site there is a short section on these books and Lyn's contact mail .

http://www.judandk.force9.co.uk/workhouse.html#FIR

I would have thought there are copies in the Library/Archive but don't live in Sheffield so can't confirm that.

John

As a closing message on this topic (there are lots of places, I have found, that give information on workhouses) it seems very unfortunate that most of the records for Fir Vale were destroyed during WWII - I have discovered that my Grandmother was in there in 1911 and actually gave birth to my Uncle the same year but, sadly, I cannot retrieve any records of these events or how and when she managed to leave the workhouse (she lived on Garden Street in 1918 when my Mother was born). :(

Guest Leipzig

For anyone interested in viewing who was living at the Workhouse at the time of the 1911 Census, do an address search for Smilter Lane, Sheffield. The Workhouse is schedule number 9999 on the results page.

Regards

Leipzig

For anyone interested in viewing who was living at the Workhouse at the time of the 1911 Census, do an address search for Smilter Lane, Sheffield. The Workhouse is schedule number 9999 on the results page.

Regards

Leipzig

Do you have a link to the 1911 Census site please Leipzig ? Just so newer Members have all the information they need, Thanks.

Guest Leipzig

Do you have a link to the 1911 Census site please Leipzig ? Just so newer Members have all the information they need, Thanks.

The 1911 Census site (Pay per view):

http://www.1911census.co.uk/

or the sister site

Findmypast:

http://www.findmypast.com/home.jsp

where you can take out a subscription to view the 1911 Census records, or buy pay-per-view credits.

Regards

Leipzig