The Manor Cinema, Manor Top

DaveH

....yes correct ! - i heard that also , for domestic use , but surely oil paints will still be available to artists ?

I assume so, I heard it on Dragons Den last night, 2 guys wanted to sell a white spirit/turps cleaner, they got nought from the Dragons :)

An interesting but usless bit of information is that the builder of the Manor Cinema a MJ Gleeson used another former cinema Chantry Picture House

Chesterfield Road as there head office and had named it Chantry House.

I wonder if they built that one as well?

Gleesons now have HQ in Surrey http://www.gb-building.co.uk/

jiginc

An interesting but usless bit of information is that the builder of the Manor Cinema a MJ Gleeson used another former cinema Chantry Picture House

Chesterfield Road as there head office and had named it Chantry House.

I wonder if they built that one as well?

Gleesons now have HQ in Surrey http://www.gb-building.co.uk/

jiginc

Presumably named after the sculptor Chantry who lived in the area which is now south Sheffield on the way out to Chesterfield.

The Manor Cinema today, now newly reopened as a Tesco Express

Modern picture is suffering from what Stuart0742 refers to as "too much green, too many trees"

The Manor Cinema today, now newly reopened as a Tesco Express

Modern picture is suffering from what Stuart0742 refers to as "too much green, too many trees"

Manor pictures as a "Then & Now"

Then is October 1971

Now is October 2009

So almost exactly 38 years apart.

Guest wayneybabes

Although the cinema itself closed in 1969 the building still exists and has been a supermarket of some description since 1970

From its launch as a supermarket in 1970 it was the CHALLENGE

For many years it was SOMMERFIELD supermarket and recently, within the last month or so it has become a TESCO express.

somewhere in between CHALLENGE and SOMERFIELD it was GATEWAYS supermarket

somewhere in between CHALLENGE and SOMERFIELD it was GATEWAYS supermarket

Yes it was, - but to be honest as either Challenge, Gateways, Somerfield or even Tesco its not a supermarket I go in.

And NO I don't go in Netto across the road either!

To me, the building is still, and always will be, refered to as "Manor picture Palace"

Guest wayneybabes

come out of the closet Dave, we wont think any worse of you lol

Guest wayneybabes

Yes it was, - but to be honest as either Challenge, Gateways, Somerfield or even Tesco its not a supermarket I go in.

To me, the building is still, and always will be, refered to as "Manor picture Palace"

Used to love going in Gateways as a nipper with my mum around Christmas time. On the top of the fridges on the right hand wall down the first isle there used to be toys all along the wall to the back of the shop. pedal cars, bikes etc.

Happy Days lol

come out of the closet Dave, we wont think any worse of you lol

I don't particularly like supermarkets, tend to use ordinary shops and markets in preference.

For supermarkets I tend to use mainly Sainsburys at Crystal Peaks or the one on the Moor.

Late 1960's photo of the Manor Cinema, when still showing films.

Great picture abcman, although now I have noticed that the film being shown is "privates progress" I am sure I have seen this particular picture somewhere before.

However, its just the sort of cinema picture we are looking for, - not when they were supermarkets and warehouses but when they were actually showing films.

If you have ready the Carlton Cinema Arbourthorne thread you will know that due to circumstances I own 2 of only 3 known pictures of this cinema and that all 3 of them show as a lampworks or a warehouse.

We are desperate to track down other pictures of the Carlton and we would really like one of it open as a Cinema.

Any chance?

Is it actually a cinema here Richard?

It seems to be advertising Bingo :(

Looks like it was taken when it was a Cine-Bingo Hall - films ran certain nights and bingo on others.The frame in the centre of the canopy definitely seems to be advertising a film.

Looks like it was taken when it was a Cine-Bingo Hall - films ran certain nights and bingo on others.The frame in the centre of the canopy definitely seems to be advertising a film.

So can we put a more precise date on it than just 1960's?

So can we put a more precise date on it than just 1960's?

The Manor went full time bingo in July 1963 but films returned part time in the November of that year, so I would say it was taken in the mid-sixties.Sorry I cannot be more precise.The Manor finally closed on 14th June 1969 and one of the projectionists transfered to the ABC as I used to work with him.

The Manor went full time bingo in July 1963 but films returned part time in the November of that year, so I would say it was taken in the mid-sixties.Sorry I cannot be more precise.The Manor finally closed on 14th June 1969 and one of the projectionists transfered to the ABC as I used to work with him.

Seem to remember having discussed this about a year ago but in the Carlton cinema thread.

Manor Cinema closure

Section on Manor starts at post #11

Can't say if it was there when it was a cinema, but it's certainly the right shape for a CinemaScope screen, but I can't see why it would be on the outside! Two thoughts. It may have been used to cover a painted sign or advert. Or....to reflect light into what looks like a pretty dark loading bay.

The back of the manor was never whitewashed while it was a cinema

Obviously tozzin,

the exterior back wall was whitewashed at a much later date,

when the Manor Cinema had become a supermarket.

No it wasn't and it has been whitwashed since.

But I still find it strange that rather than whitewash the entire rear wall, or even the entire building WHY would you want to whitewash just one section of the rear wall that seems to be exactly the same size, shape and position of the original cinema screen inside the building?

No it wasn't and it has been whitwashed since.

But I still find it strange that rather than whitewash the entire rear wall, or even the entire building WHY would you want to whitewash just one section of the rear wall that seems to be exactly the same size, shape and position of the original cinema screen inside the building?

Well it seems that the Manor was not the only Cinema with an area of the back wall marked out as if it was saying where the screen was. Not as large as the Manor or white washed. but still the same idea.

THis is the Odeon in Harlow now closed but still with all it's fittings ect.

Well it seems that the Manor was not the only Cinema with an area of the back wall marked out as if it was saying where the screen was. Not as large as the Manor or white washed. but still the same idea.

THis is the Odeon in Harlow now closed but still with all it's fittings ect.

I am sure that there must be a good reson for these markings but I cannot think what it could be :unsure:

I am sure that there must be a good reson for these markings but I cannot think what it could be :unsure:

Is it possible that the bricks in the square on the back wall had to be taken out , in order to install the large projectors ?

Would they tally with the position of the projection room ????