The Manor Cinema, Manor Top

DaveH

Although the cinema itself closed in 1969 the building still exists and has been a supermarket of some description since 1970

From its launch as a supermarket in 1970 it was the CHALLENGE

(A supermarket so good that just like New York, - they named it twice, - see picture from October 1971 below)

For many years it was SOMMERFIELD supermarket and recently, within the last month or so it has become a TESCO express.

Now for a little curious mystery

Here is a picture of the back of the old Manor Pictures, taken from Dagnam Crescent, currently this is a customer car park and supermarket stock loading bay.

Now this building has been a supermarket for almost 40 years.

Notice that white painted rectangle on the OUTSIDE of the back of the building

This rectangle would be the same size shape and position of where the screen would be on the INSIDE of the building when it was a cinema.

So why is it there?

What is its purpose?

Is there any connection with the cinema screen? Or is it just a coincidence?

Any ideas?

Although the cinema itself closed in 1969 the building still exists and has been a supermarket of some description since 1970

From its launch as a supermarket in 1970 it was the CHALLENGE

(A supermarket so good that just like New York, - they named it twice, - see picture from October 1971 below)

For many years it was SOMMERFIELD supermarket and recently, within the last month or so it has become a TESCO express.

Now for a little curious mystery

Here is a picture of the back of the old Manor Pictures, taken from Dagnam Crescent, currently this is a customer car park and supermarket stock loading bay.

Now this building has been a supermarket for almost 40 years.

Notice that white painted rectangle on the OUTSIDE of the back of the building

This rectangle would be the same size shape and position of where the screen would be on the INSIDE of the building when it was a cinema.

So why is it there?

What is its purpose?

Is there any connection with the cinema screen? Or is it just a coincidence?

Any ideas?

Was it there whilst it was a cinema?

If it was I think it is one for TSAVO

Maybe to do with the same reason that people use to white wash outside toilet and cellar walls,

also a lot of the back yards of old pubs had white washed walls.

;-)

Maybe to do with the same reason that people use to white wash outside toilet and cellar walls,

;-)

Well reminded Steve, the Rodley had white washed walls in the backyard

Was it there whilst it was a cinema?

If it was I think it is one for TSAVO

Can't say if it was there when it was a cinema, but it's certainly the right shape for a CinemaScope screen, but I can't see why it would be on the outside! Two thoughts. It may have been used to cover a painted sign or advert. Or....to reflect light into what looks like a pretty dark loading bay.

Can't say if it was there when it was a cinema, but it's certainly the right shape for a CinemaScope screen, but I can't see why it would be on the outside! Two thoughts. It may have been used to cover a painted sign or advert. Or....to reflect light into what looks like a pretty dark loading bay.

Or maybe one of the old projectionists lives in a house on Dagnam Crescent ..

Was the Manor Cinema ever taken in by that American fad, - the "drive in movie"?

Those 2 spotlights (Tsavo's point about lighting noted) and that bit of cable do rather obstruct the screen area for the sort of projection suggested by SteveHB.

Makes me wonder how Steve managed to put that projected image on without covering up the lights and cable?

Those 2 spotlights (Tsavo's point about lighting noted) and that bit of cable do rather obstruct the screen area for the sort of projection suggested by SteveHB.

Makes me wonder how Steve managed to put that projected image on without covering up the lights and cable?

Magic our Maurice

Magic our Maurice

A quote from the TV programme "Oh No its Selwyn Frogatt", circa 1969, starring Bill Maynard (Greengrass out of Heartbeat) asSelwyn Frogatt

Back projection may be !!!!!

I am sure it's been there some time but why?

jigiinc

Don't know what Steve uses, but the 'transparency' button can give this effect. Love the idea of an open air cinema, but doubt it would ever be possible due to the climate!

Back projection may be !!!!!

I am sure it's been there some time but why?

jigiinc

Back projection through a brick wall <_<

I'd like to see the projection equipment that could do that lol

Well reminded Steve, the Rodley had white washed walls in the backyard

Not on this subject, but on the whitewashing of walls etc, during my wifes very extensive research into our family history she consults Census returns, as is well known the details of employment are shown and one which keeps cropping up in this column is"Whitewasher", and one my ancesters had the grand title of "Corporation Lamplighter"

Nothing to do with the Manor Cinema, but what is I saw my first film there way back in the thirties, the original, and best version of King Kong, with Fay Wray

;-)

My dad was a painter and decorator and he always referred to the whitewash paint as "distemper", he didn't "whitewash" a wall, he "distempered" it.

This "distemper" appeared to be a type of whitewash paint and nothing to do with canine diseases.

Of course the fashion wor whitewashing walls is long gone and my father is no longer here to ask.

Has anyone else come across "distempering" as opposed to "whitewashing" or does anyone know what the difference is?

Nothing to do with the Manor Cinema, but what is I saw my first film there way back in the thirties, the original, and best version of King Kong, with Fay Wray

Definately the best version without a doubt hougomont.

In the classic finalle where Kong grabs Fay Wray through her bedroom window and proceeds to climb to the top of the Empire State with her is still a brilliant iconic scene, - and it must have been made, using a model obviously, only a year or two after the real Empire State was completed and was at the time the tallest building in the world. Then of course he is attacked by biplanes, - showing that although monoplanes cames to the fore in the late 1930's and were around in the late 1920's at the time the film was made (I think 1933 or 34) biplanes were still more common.

Certainly to do with the Manor, - we are always interested not just in the cinema itself but what kinds of entertainment they provided throughout their history.

Guest transit

My dad was a painter and decorator and he always referred to the whitewash paint as "distemper", he didn't "whitewash" a wall, he "distempered" it.

This "distemper" appeared to be a type of whitewash paint and nothing to do with canine diseases.

Of course the fashion wor whitewashing walls is long gone and my father is no longer here to ask.

Has anyone else come across "distempering" as opposed to "whitewashing" or does anyone know what the difference is?

...dave , link to distemper paint here (and how to problem solve !) -www.diyfixit.co.uk/painting/distemper.html

...and a link regarding limewashed / whitewashed walls here -www.askthebuilder.com/B366_Whitewash_Tips.shtml

Thanks transit for that interesting set of links

Apparently distemper is not very nice stuff and hasn't been used for years and its not easy to paint or wallpaper over because it won't stick to it

Whitwash on the other hand is made from lime (calcium oxide) which is white but can be "colourised", so not all whitewash is actually white!

Amazing what you can find out, - learn something every day.

Guest transit

...whilst on the subject of paint Dave , it has quietly been one of the most advancing technologys in recent years as regards formula - with the Global Warming probs ect - from the demise of most lead based paints , to a swing to water -acrylic , and the non - drip , non yellowing , quick dry,aerosols , primers for almost any surface , colours matched to samples and mixed while you wait ect ,ect !! Your Dad would be impressed !!! Oh and then there is all the latest hype over car and commercial paints currently undergoing a revolution in using air-dry water-based paints on all brand new vehicles !!!! WOW ! - Yes paint technoligy has come a long way in the past 20-30 years !!!

...whilst on the subject of paint Dave , it has quietly been one of the most advancing technologys in recent years as regards formula - with the Global Warming probs ect - from the demise of most lead based paints , to a swing to water -acrylic , and the non - drip , non yellowing , quick dry,aerosols , primers for almost any surface , colours matched to samples and mixed while you wait ect ,ect !! Your Dad would be impressed !!! Oh and then there is all the latest hype over car and commercial paints currently undergoing a revolution in using air-dry water-based paints on all brand new vehicles !!!! WOW ! - Yes paint technoligy has come a long way in the past 20-30 years !!!

Are you a painter as well transit?

On the subject of paint (moving off topic :) ) I here that oil based paint will be phased out in the next 5 years and with the need to clean brushes in Turps/white spirits.

Guest transit

On the subject of paint (moving off topic :) ) I here that oil based paint will be phased out in the next 5 years and with the need to clean brushes in Turps/white spirits.

....yes correct ! - i heard that also , for domestic use , but surely oil paints will still be available to artists ?

Guest transit

....i worked for Bradburys builders and decoraters as apprentice P&Dec (top of Cemetry rd ,Sharrow) on leaving school '78 for four years . Was a great place to work but got layed off as the company declined and eventually ceased around '84-? We used to travel all over the country on jobs -whch with travelling expenses ,really bumped up my wage 1- and the main highlight being working on NottsForest ground at Trent Bridge Nottingham, with Cloughie in charge in79-80 when thty were the best team in the country ,and European Champions , and had just bought the first ever £1 million pound UK player - Trevor Francis.(who later went on to manage Wed !).

I also worked on some faily prestiges Sheffield landmarks back then - Grosvener Hotel - Mercedes Europa Way showroom, SUFC five -a-side arena during the demolition of the "Pavillion ect,ect . Now repair and paint cars !