Castle or Sheaf

DaveH

Harringtons

I am sure that in another thread, although I can't find it now, someone has enquired about Harringtons clothes shop in Castle Market.

Richard Hawley's album has a picture of the very shop, - so if anyone was looking for one.....

Now closed, Harringtons was for many years a very popular clothes shop in Sheffield.

I took this one on a trip home in 2007.

At least its still "Fashion" lol

Having been in Castle Market shopping on Saturday and taking a few more pictures I am not now sure that the picture in Richard Hawleys album is in fact Harringtons, it may be some other fashion shop in the market, - see link below

Harringtons, - Is it or isn't it?

The exit to Waingate certainly looks empty these days, even compared to the album pull out from only7 or 8 years ago.

All those shops shuttered up. Either they cannot afford to continue to trading or the market closure is imminent.

Also near the Waingate entrance, has anyone noticed this large piece of "History of Sheffield" artwork by a prominent Sheffield artist (the style gives away the artist) and that there is a market history section?

Here are a few from Flickr - 1990's

Thanks vox, nice set of nostalgic pictures of the market similar to the ones I started this topic off with, just what we were looking for.

Took these pictures yesterday while shopping in the market.

Once again appologies for the poor quality, blur and camera shake this time.

I used my mobile phone to take them and I cant get used to holding it sideways, not having the lens in the middle and having to press a shutter button on the front of the phone, - which is the back of the camera!

It is also made more difficult by the hustle and bustle around you, - the market is still a busy place so why they need to close it or move it I don't know.

Finally while shopping I was pulling around with me a bag and a shopping trolley containing meat (from Castle Meats), bread (from Turners), fish (from andrews), fruit and veg (from Bingham & Brownes) as well as other stuff from outside the market.

If that sounds like an advert for these traders then I have to say that I much prefer buying food items from market traders who give good service at reasonable prices rather than going into a supermarket with its own brands, standardised quality and higher prices unless they can get you with a "special offer".

This is probably the best of yestrdays pictures, - the entrance to the meat and fish market from Waingate taken from a location with that artwork behind me, Harringtons to the left of me and the "exit to Waingate" image to the right of me.

In this picture I stood on the ramp from the other part of the market with Turners bakery to my right.

I was trying to get a picture to match that provided by mickjj in post #21 as his picture was the key for me to unravel the locations in my own Minox shots.

Here is mickjj's picture (top) and mine (bottom) together for comparison.

Mickjj said "a couple of years ago" (2007) and mine is 2009, - not exactly a big difference for a "then & now" but a good "spot the changes"

At the diagonally opposite entrance to the meat and fish market from the last shot I was able, after information from transit in post #14 to match my first minox shot with its present day image.

The view is from the trade entrance (but open to the public) into Castlegate at the Blonk street end. It leaves the building at the back somewhere along here

It looks like this today

I was unable to get those doors with the reflections on in the shot as there were a lot of deliveries in the way on pallets and a load of people just beyond them who had gone out for a smoke, but the doors are still there.

For comparison here are both images together, a then and now 1982 - 2009

Bingham and Browne's fruit and vegetable stall

This was in my second minox picture and the same stall is still there today.

For some reason (lack of memory) I took this picture from the opposite end of the stall to where I had been for the 1982 shot.

So for another first here is a "then and now" coupled with a "here and there"

The 2 pictures are separated by 27 years and about 15 to 20 metres!!

I was unable to find locations to match either my 3rd minox picture (M. Atkins) or my 4th minox picture (Carters?) so I can only assume that these traders are no longer in business and their former stalls are now being run by someone else.

The famous Sharon's Snack Bar, as seen on the front cover of Richard Hawley's album "Late Night Final"

For comparison this picture with the 2 views from the album cover.

I love it when topics like this take off. Just look at the quality pictures both old and new that have been unearthed to enrich both our vision and memories and the Sheffield History history site.

I love it when topics like this take off. Just look at the quality pictures both old and new that have been unearthed to enrich both our vision and memories and the Sheffield History history site.

I must admit I am not happy with the quality of my pictures in this topic yet.

OK I can't do much about the Minox shots, but they are historic (1982) pictures so fair enough but I just can't seem to get used to using a mobile phone as though it was a camera in such a way as to not get camera shake, and when your there shopping, not just to take pictures the phone is a lot more convenient, and discrete like the Minox was, than a conventional camera.

I intend going back and taking some more market pictures once I have mastered the art of photography on my current mobile phone.

However, thanks for the compliment mickjj. Its nice to know that the pictures are appreciated in spite of their technical shortcomings.

Guest transit

I must admit I am not happy with the quality of my pictures in this topic yet.

OK I can't do much about the Minox shots, but they are historic (1982) pictures so fair enough but I just can't seem to get used to using a mobile phone as though it was a camera in such a way as to not get camera shake, and when your there shopping, not just to take pictures the phone is a lot more convenient, and discrete like the Minox was, than a conventional camera.

I intend going back and taking some more market pictures once I have mastered the art of photography on my current mobile phone.

However, thanks for the compliment mickjj. Its nice to know that the pictures are appreciated in spite of their technical shortcomings.

...I JUST WISH WE ALL had a camera - or the sense to have one , and take pics of our surroundings/lifestyle ect, back in the day !!!!!!!! Just imagine ......... :rolleyes:

...I JUST WISH WE ALL had a camera - or the sense to have one , and take pics of our surroundings/lifestyle ect, back in the day !!!!!!!! Just imagine ......... :rolleyes:

Now that modern digital cameras are the size of a Minox, can be fitted into a mobile phone, give amazingly good quality pictures, weigh next to nothing so that they can be put into a pocket like your keys and don't tie you down perhaps we don't really have a good reason NOT to carry a camera at all times.

The exit to Waingate certainly looks empty these days, even compared to the album pull out from only7 or 8 years ago.

All those shops shuttered up. Either they cannot afford to continue to trading or the market closure is imminent.

On my most recent visit to Castle market I didn't take any further pictures (yet!) but instead took a walk around the "other" part of the market beyond the meat and fish hall and on the other floors.

I was surprised at how many of the stalls in this part of the market have actually closed and ceased trading.

Only adds further weight to my comments in post #31 quoted above.

Having been in Castle Market shopping on Saturday and taking a few more pictures I am not now sure that the picture in Richard Hawleys album is in fact Harringtons, it may be some other fashion shop in the market, - see link below

Harringtons, - Is it or isn't it?

After a second visit I am now drawn back to thinking that the Richard Hawley cover IS Harringtons, although Iam still not 100% sure.

The other shop which looks very similar to the one on the Hawley cover is exclusively girls and womens clothing when I walked past it again. I can't remember its name but it has a girls name and may even be called "Miss" something or other, whatever the name is.

The clothing on display on the Hawley cover picture does NOT appear to be exclusively female and for this reason I still think it could be Harringtons.