Castle or Sheaf

DaveH

I have recently been continuing to sort out my negative collection and have started working on my Minox subminiature negative.

For the uninitiated Minox was a very small spy camera which used 9.5mm film instead of 35mm film. The negatives are only 9mm x 11mm and require a lot of enlargement. The camera makes very inconspicuous candid photography possible but the picture quality is much lower than conventional film for obvious reasons of negative size, so apologies for the poor quality but often any historic picture is better than none ;-)

I have come across 4 pictures taken in May 1982 inside the market.

I can't remember if this is Castle Market or, as it was open at the time, Sheaf Market but from the views I suspect they are the Castle meat and fish market.

Any comments on these pictures are welcomed.

As anyone got any other (better) pictures of the inside of these 2 markets?

If so why not post them in this thread.

The Sheaf market is long gone and the opportunities to take pictures of this type have passed us by.

The days of Castle market are numbers so here we have an opportunity to record images like this before the chance dissapears forever.

Picture Three

M. ATKIN, - again very Castle meat & fish market.

The miracle of the Minox camera, - that woman on the left staring directly at me had no idea she was being photographed :o

Picture Four

A bit blurry here, - that small lightweight camera isn't that easy to hold steady when using it discretely, and the high level of magnification required in enlargement only exagerates the slightest imperfection.

The market stall can be made out as CAR??? (Carter?)

But where is it?

Picture Four

A bit blurry here, - that small lightweight camera isn't that easy to hold steady when using it discretely, and the high level of magnification required in enlargement only exagerates the slightest imperfection.

The market stall can be made out as CAR??? (Carter?)

But where is it?

I would say they are all in Meat & Fish part of Castle Market.

If I recall there were a few Greengrocers in the Sheaf Market but no butchers, well not in any number if at all

I would say they are all in Meat & Fish part of Castle Market.

If I recall there were a few Greengrocers in the Sheaf Market but no butchers, well not in any number if at all

If we can identify the exact locations in Castle Market (the same stalls are still probably there with the same owners) we could try to "then & now" it before Castle Market finally closes.

If we can identify the exact locations in Castle Market (the same stalls are still probably there with the same owners) we could try to "then & now" it before Castle Market finally closes.

I think Photo 1 is the bottom side looking towards the bottom Exchange st entrance (where Maces Petshop was)

I think Photo 1 is the bottom side looking towards the bottom Exchange st entrance (where Maces Petshop was)

Photo 2

The woman in the centre has 3 legs, though 1 slightly different

I think looking towards photo 1 but at 90 degrees

Photo 2

Photo 3

The opposite end to photo 1 and looking from the entrance in to the market

Photo 4

no idea

Photo 2

Mrs Jake The Peg buying some dinner ingredients for Rolf ?

Thanks for the input so far.

Looks like it is definately Castle Market then, but what a pity we have no pictures of the interior of Sheaf market :(

Must try and take a look around the meat and fish market when I go down (usually Saturday morning) and see if I can match up any of those pictures to their current locations.

Guest transit

...pic 1 is the "back corner" of the fish market where all the traders fetch their goods in on the trolleys from the loading bay. This entrance/exit is not usually used by general public. The clue is the reflection in the left hand door, where the "spiral roadway" is seen and a South Yorks double decker (Park Royal bodied Fleetline !!!) is going along Castlegate towards Lady's Bridge . :o

Guest transit

...pic 1 is the "back corner" of the fish market where all the traders fetch their goods in on the trolleys from the loading bay. This entrance/exit is not usually used by general public. The clue is the reflection in the left hand door, where the "spiral roadway" is seen and a South Yorks double decker (Park Royal bodied Fleetline !!!) is going along Castlegate towards Lady's Bridge . :o

...correcting my own post - the South Yorks bus is actually an Alexander bodied Daimler Fleetline orLeyland Atlantean AN68 (cant tell without seeing engine cover ! SY had both models) and is showing the drivers side (exit/entrance doors on other side) so the bus must be heading along Blonk St towards Park Square roundabout ! ;-)

How come I was using that entrance then??

Oh yes, now I remember, I was with my dad and as he worked for Sheffield Corporation painting the markets, and as he seemed to know everyone in the market he felt free to just walk wharever he liked in "the markets" (At the time this included, for him, Castle Market, Sheaf Market, Wholesale Market and Sheffield Abatoir, - the places he regularly worked).

What a fantastic amount of information and observation you have obtained from such low resolution images transit, - thanks for the information.

Picture Three

M. ATKIN, - again very Castle meat & fish market.

The miracle of the Minox camera, - that woman on the left staring directly at me had no idea she was being photographed :o

That's me but I knew what you were up to. Pervert. he he ;-)

That's me but I knew what you were up to. Pervert. he he;-)

No it isn't you ukelele lady, - I already have a picture of you (provided by yourself) in a 1940's military uniform playing the ukelele with some other George Formby impersonators in the old Blitz museum on the top floor of Banners, Attercliffe.

How come I was using that entrance then??

Oh yes, now I remember, I was with my dad and as he worked for Sheffield Corporation painting the markets, and as he seemed to know everyone in the market he felt free to just walk wharever he liked in "the markets" (At the time this included, for him, Castle Market, Sheaf Market, Wholesale Market and Sheffield Abatoir, - the places he regularly worked).

What a fantastic amount of information and observation you have obtained from such low resolution images transit, - thanks for the information.

I could not even see a bus lol

Here is a more up to date picture taken on my trip back home last year. At first I thought the other pictures may have been the sheaf market because of the high glass roof,but looking at my picture you can see it through the suspended ceiling now there. Which raises the question when was that installed.

Here is a more up to date picture taken on my trip back home last year. At first I thought the other pictures may have been the sheaf market because of the high glass roof,but looking at my picture you can see it through the suspended ceiling now there. Which raises the question when was that installed.

Great picture mickjj, just the sort of thing I was looking for to preserve before Castle Market finally disappears

As your picture includes Binghams, as does mine, but also includes A. Andrews (fishmongers) along side it I now know exactly where my pictures were taken, - at the bottom end of the meat & fish market nearest the River Don / Castlegate entrances.

Your picture is taken looking towards the bottom end from the top end near the ramps down from the other part of Castle Market near the Waingate entrance. the photographer would appear to have been stood with Turners (bakers) bread stall on his right.

Gives me a much better idea where my 1982 Minox shots were taken but I still need to go and have a look, may even get a few pictures.

Another piece of inspiration I had for this thread (other than some old Minox pictures and a desire to preserve a photographic memory of the place) was an album cover on a Richard Hawley CD.

Most people recognise Richard Hawley as a local musician and like most Sheffielders I have most of his work in CD form.

He's a local lad and most of his songs are about Sheffield one way or another. Some of his albums carry names like "Lowedges", "Lady's Bridge" and most famously "Cole's Corner", with a glamourised picture of this location on the front with Richard stood in front of it appearing to be waiting, as people often do, for a girl to arrive.

However the album which I was listening to which inspired me with its cover art was his 2002 offering called "Late Night Final"

(I assume this is either a reference to the City Late issue of The Star or a local derby football match between United and Wednesday)

This album has the following collection of pictures all taken in Castle Market.

Front cover

Castle Market Cafes

Both the front and rear cover pictures show one of the many cafes that are in Castle Market.

This one is "Sharon's" but in the 1960's my mum used to work in one called "Ediths". They all look pretty much the same.

In those days the tea was always strong, the food full of fat and very greasy and the places were thick with cigarette smoke

These days with health awareness, better, healthier living styles and a smoking ban in public places things are much better, but they don't seem to get as many customers.

I hope that when Castle Market finally closes and the move is made to the new Moorfoot market (still to be constructed) that little cafes like this move there with the other traders.

Harringtons

I am sure that in another thread, although I can't find it now, someone has enquired about Harringtons clothes shop in Castle Market.

Richard Hawley's album has a picture of the very shop, - so if anyone was looking for one.....

Now closed, Harringtons was for many years a very popular clothes shop in Sheffield.