Castle or Sheaf

DaveH

Fantastic pictures of Castle Market at its best,

I have always promoted Castle Market on this site from the point of view of the people that work and go there and the atmosphere that it promotes (as well as the bargain prices and quality stuff to be had when compared to high street shops) rather than the actual building itself, which many members of this forum would liked demolished soon rather than later.

Your pictures really convey the atmosphere a happy, thriving market.

I still go there every Saturday morning and still feel some of that atmosphere, especially when talking to some of the traders I have known for years.

I will be going to the new moorfoot market when it opens (it will actually be more convenient and easier to get to for me), but I have frequently stated my concern that the move will loose that atmosphere, - a bit like the small Market at Crystal Peaks has no feeling to it.

I just hope that most of the present stallholders will make the move, will not be ripped off by the Council, that their regular customers, like me, will follow them and that the market atmosphere will move to the new building with them.

Guest Yggdrasil

If anyone does compile a list of stallholders, these are my Mom's recollections from about 1969.

MEAT & FISH MARKET

STALL NUMBER NAME TRADE

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 Bunting Butcher

3 Burkinshaw Butcher

10 Mike McCarter Poultry

11 Smith & Tissington Fish & poultry

18 Colin Simmonite Poultry

23 [no name] Greengrocer

24 [no name] Tripe

25 & 25b William Atkin Fish & poultry

31 [no name] Cheese

32 Mary Oldham Cockles

33 Alan & Richard [no surname] Cockles

39 Sea Land Foods Deli

45 & 54 Bingham & Brown Greengrocer

Guest Yggdrasil

I would say they are all in Meat & Fish part of Castle Market.

If I recall there were a few Greengrocers in the Sheaf Market but no butchers, well not in any number if at all

Picture Four

A bit blurry here, - that small lightweight camera isn't that easy to hold steady when using it discretely, and the high level of magnification required in enlargement only exagerates the slightest imperfection.

The market stall can be made out as CAR??? (Carter?)

But where is it?

Mike McCarter owned the stall at number 10, maybe it was his.

You can almost smell these beauties. My father used to take me in the fish market every Saturday in the early fifties and every Saturday we went to look at the 70year old joint of beef that someone had bought and he promised to pick it up later but he never came back,presunably he got drunk and forgot. So the joint hung there for at least eighty years I dont know when it was taken down but it was still there in the eary sixties.

Hi I had the soda fountain with my mum and dad in those days 1957-1983 and i remember the said joint kept in a glass case at Malcomb Smiths butchers we used to buy rolls of brisket which had been kept in brine for 10days cook it and press it ready for sandwiches to be sold at the snack bar. The old joimt was still there when i left. Thats the way to do it !

You can almost smell these beauties. My father used to take me in the fish market every Saturday in the early fifties and every Saturday we went to look at the 70year old joint of beef that someone had bought and he promised to pick it up later but he never came back,presunably he got drunk and forgot. So the joint hung there for at least eighty years I dont know when it was taken down but it was still there in the eary sixties.

The joint I remember wasnt treated to a glass case it was just hung from a hook from a steel bracket that was used for hanging meat carcases up.That was in the 50s.

Hi I had the soda fountain with my mum and dad in those days 1957-1983 and i remember the said joint kept in a glass case at Malcomb Smiths butchers we used to buy rolls of brisket which had been kept in brine for 10days cook it and press it ready for sandwiches to be sold at the snack bar. The old joimt was still there when i left. Thats the way to do it !

If anyone does compile a list of stallholders, these are my Mom's recollections from about 1969.

MEAT & FISH MARKET

STALL NUMBER NAME TRADE

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 Bunting Butcher

3 Burkinshaw Butcher

10 Mike McCarter Poultry

11 Smith & Tissington Fish & poultry

18 Colin Simmonite Poultry

23 [no name] Greengrocer

24 [no name] Tripe

25 & 25b William Atkin Fish & poultry

31 [no name] Cheese

32 Mary Oldham Cockles

33 Alan & Richard [no surname] Cockles

39 Sea Land Foods Deli

45 & 54 Bingham & Brown Greengrocer

Looking at a floor plan, in the 60s I used to have a Saturday job on my uncles fruit & veg stall which I think is number 44. The name over the stall was Cahill.