Hillsborough Corner

Stuart0742

Reading the current topic about the Co-Op at Hillsborough ...Link I realised I know nothing about the area except I worked for a few weeks at Owlerton Telephone Exchange some years ago. (The telephone exchange has now moved to Claywheels Ln)

As the Topic Title states "The Four corners" we have the possibility of at least 3 more Then & Nows, 1 has already appeared in the Then & Now Topic courtesy of DaveH & Ukelele Lady

Here are some more single photo's courtesy of Google Street View, can we complete the the Four Corners as Then & Nows, current Now photo's would be great as using Google is a bit of a cheat.

Reading the current topic about the Co-Op at Hillsborough ...Link I realised I know nothing about the area except I worked for a few weeks at Owlerton Telephone Exchange some years ago. (The telephone exchange has now moved to Claywheels Ln)

As the Topic Title states "The Four corners" we have the possibility of at least 3 more Then & Nows, 1 has already appeared in the Then & Now Topic courtesy of DaveH & Ukelele Lady

Here are some more single photo's courtesy of Google Street View, can we complete the the Four Corners as Then & Nows, current Now photo's would be great as using Google is a bit of a cheat.

As you look at a map, the corner we have completed is the northeast corner.

The 2 western corners both go round onto Holme Lane and the southeastern corner is on Langsett Road as it comes back to town past the barracks.

Unfortunately Stuart, like you I don't live in or know this area too well.

Furthermore, as the Google picyures are fairly recents (so they are NOW pictures) where are we going to get some THEN pictures from?

In 1974 I only took that one picture of the northeast corner. :(

As you look at a map, the corner we have completed is the northeast corner.

The 2 western corners both go round onto Holme Lane and the southeastern corner is on Langsett Road as it comes back to town past the barracks.

Unfortunately Stuart, like you I don't live in or know this area too well.

Furthermore, as the Google picyures are fairly recents (so they are NOW pictures) where are we going to get some THEN pictures from?

In 1974 I only took that one picture of the northeast corner. :(

That's a challenge then, who has some old photo's of Hillsborough Corner we can use

That's a challenge then, who has some old photo's of Hillsborough Corner we can use

I bet me and you are top of the list for finding some ;-)

I bet me and you are top of the list for finding some ;-)

Oh ye of little faith.

Hillsborough Corner from Holme Lane towards Bradfield Road. 1930's

Towards Middlewood Road, Holme Lane on the left. Early 1900's

Oh ye of little faith.

Great stuff vox, well done

Any idea what year they were taken if we are to then and now them?

Also, remembering that me and Stuart are not that knowledgable on this area of Sheffield, which "corners" are they.

My guess is that the first one is taken along Holme Lane towards the corner, similar view to my own but further back along Holme lane and stood more central in the road.

Second one taken from the opposite corner looking towards Holme Lane, in fact it is shown by the western corners.

Am I right?

Great stuff vox, well done

Any idea what year they were taken if we are to then and now them?

Also, remembering that me and Stuart are not that knowledgable on this area of Sheffield, which "corners" are they.

My guess is that the first one is taken along Holme Lane towards the corner, similar view to my own but further back along Holme lane and stood more central in the road.

Second one taken from the opposite corner looking towards Holme Lane, in fact it is shown by the western corners.

Am I right?

First one spot on, you can see the Church where Tesco was which became Wilkinsons (between the Shakespeare and the Old Blue Ball.

Second one looking towards Hillsborough Park, Hillsborough Inn on corner of Holme Lane.

First one spot on, you can see the Church where Tesco was which became Wilkinsons (between the Shakespeare and the Old Blue Ball.

Second one looking towards Hillsborough Park, Hillsborough Inn on corner of Holme Lane.

Thanks Richard, - knowing your bearings makes it a lot easier to match them up with a NOW picture.

The leftmost window visible is the Gents toilets, a little left of that, out of picture is the gate that had to be kept locked one day a year. It took you up past the remains of the Don Bakery on the right and the Church on the left. Unless it was 1969 in which case the Pub was replaced by Tesco (opened by Bo Monkhouse). Carrying on the un-named lane it brought you out between Woolworths and the electrical store; the next corner (50 yards to the left was Burton's shop on the corner.

The little lane that ran from the Blue Ball front yard up to Middlewood Road had, as has been mentioned, a door at the bottom that carried a notice to the effect that is was not a public right of way and would be closed on Good Fridays. At the top of this lane after the bakery was a cleared bit of land where the Hillsborough National School used to stand. I'm not sure when this was demolished but in the 1950's it was just waste ground, perhaps a bombsite as the land-mine that fell on Hawksley Avenue damaged the bakery behind the site.

If you sneaked around the back of the Hillsborough Kinema you could climb over the wall onto the roofs of the old outside toilets that must have served the school. This made a fine vantage point to watch the world go by while eating a "palony" balmcake from Kelseys pork shop on the corner of Taplin Road. The site was eventually utilised to build the new Woolworths store around 1960. At the other side of the lane was Thomas's Electrical store, it moved here from a few doors down towards Hillsborough Corner some time in the mid 1950's. It used to be in the little shop which has a gable facing on to the road. Mr. Thomas was a kindly man who would wait patiently while you decided which Dinky toy you were going to buy.

Running off the lane was a dog-leg shaped alley that ran along-side the church and came out on Bradfield Road between the church and the Yorkshire Penny Bank next door to the Shakespeare pub. All this disappeared when first the Tesco Store (now Wilkinsons) and then the precinct was built.

Along Holme Lane, opposite the then tramsheds, were two narrow entrances into a large yard where Hirst & Sweetings the coach firm used to be based before they went to Wadsley Bridge. Hawleys Tyre Services are based there now. Watching the antics as they attempted to get a large coach in and out of the narrow entry and round into Holme Lane was worth ten minutes of any young lads time.

Between the Langsett Road Bridge and the Hill Bridge (Walkley Lane) were the White Buildings which backed onto the weir on the river. These had shops on the ground floor and a billiard hall then a Chinese restaurant on the upper floors. At some time after the 70's I think, the white cladding was removed

from the frontage and they were eventually demolished to allow Supertram room to get around the corner into Holme Lane.

Oh ye of little faith.

Hillsborough Corner from Holme Lane towards Bradfield Road. 1930's

Towards Middlewood Road, Holme Lane on the left. Early 1900's

Bradfield Road photo taken looking towards Hillsborough Corner.

Thankyou Steve. If you have a minute, could you do the same with the smaller photo and put it in a appropriate post. In the 1930s my paternal grandparents lived at Southey Hall, the photo was taken by my dad as they were setting off on a tour of Devon. Thanks. W/E.

Thankyou Steve. If you have a minute, could you do the same with the smaller photo and put it in a appropriate post. In the 1930s my paternal grandparents lived at Southey Hall, the photo was taken by my dad as they were setting off on a tour of Devon. Thanks. W/E.

Have PM'd you the photo W/E

The Church is where Tesco's was; last I knew it was a Wilkinsons next door to the Old Blue Ball.

The Carriage and Van builders was there in the late 70's along with the cobbled side street.

That would be Samuel Wilson's on the right then at 70 Owlerton Green.

Listed as Wheelwright in 1911, Samuel Wilson and Son, Motor car body builders in 1919 and two entries from 1925 :

Samuel Wilson (S. Wilson and Son) &

Slater Wilson & Son - both listed as Motor Car body builders of 70 Owlerton Green.

The Shoeing and General Smith was :

Mrs Hannah Watson, Bootmaker (1893) 70 Bradfield Road

Benjamin Watson, Bootmaker & Beerhouse (1911) 70 Bradfield Road & 185 Walkley Road

& Alfred Thomas Boot repairer (1919 & 1925) 70a Bradfield Road

What do we know of the impressive building in the centre please ?

What was the Church called ? When was it demolished, I'm guessing 1968-1969; Tesco's store opened, I think, in September/October 1970 - opened by Bob Monkhouse.

1950's Hillsborough Corner, not a tram gate in sight

Looking back along Langset Rd towards Sheffield

No but plenty of tram lines lol

What do we know of the impressive building in the centre please ?

What was the Church called ? When was it demolished, I'm guessing 1968-1969; Tesco's store opened, I think, in September/October 1970 - opened by Bob Monkhouse.

No names, but I would say that both can be seen on O/S map #241

Along with 70 Owlerton Green

No names, but I would say that both can be seen on O/S map #241

Along with 70 Owlerton Green

Number 70 has moved !!!

The number 70 in the original picture is the building numbered 92-94 on the O/S map.