Montgomery Hall

Sheffield History

Montgomery Hall

Here's a building with a past !

Take a look at this - another fantastic engraving thanks to Neddy for submitting to us and taking the time to scan it in

Great stuff

Guest tsavo

Montgomery Hall

Here's a building with a past !

Take a look at this - another fantastic engraving thanks to Neddy for submitting to us and taking the time to scan it in

Great stuff

I did an equipment hire for a show there some time ago and I'ts a nice little theatre. Only problem was that the stage slopes from back to front and the large 32inch tv monitors I took needed to be chocked very firmly or would have ended up among the audience.

Wasn't Tuckwoors Resturant in this building at one time?

Guest plain talker

The restaurant is still there, on Surrey street. It's no longer called Tuckwoods. It's now an italian restaurant.

The restaurant is still there, on Surrey street. It's no longer called Tuckwoods. It's now an italian restaurant.

Photos taken a few weeks ago

And apparently on this day 11th March in 1931 Edgar Wallace, the thriller writer opened a Liberal bazaar at the Montgomery Hall ( from Peter Harvey)

Guest Falls

Two things:

1 Montgomery Hall used to be the headquarters of the Sheffield Sunday School Union (SSSU). They may also have been the owners of the building. Does the SSSU still exist ?

2 There was another hall (not a theatre) further along the street - closer to Norfolk Street. They used to havethings like carpet sales there. Can't remember the name but it may have had some connection with Upper Chapel, which was right behind it. Is that still there?

I ask these questions because I'm only an occasional visitor to Sheffield, although I do spend a lot of time looking around when I'm there.

Regards

Two things:

1 Montgomery Hall used to be the headquarters of the Sheffield Sunday School Union (SSSU). They may also have been the owners of the building. Does the SSSU still exist ?

2 There was another hall (not a theatre) further along the street - closer to Norfolk Street. They used to havethings like carpet sales there. Can't remember the name but it may have had some connection with Upper Chapel, which was right behind it. Is that still there?

I ask these questions because I'm only an occasional visitor to Sheffield, although I do spend a lot of time looking around when I'm there.

Regards

Question #2 Channing Hall is still there

Guest plain talker

the local Christian Education Council also were based there.

When I was a child, there was a yearly exam, across the schools in the city, which ascertained the level of success of the teaching of RE. One year in the exam,, I got top in my school, Third in Sheffield!

THE MONTGOMERY HALL - from the Sheffield Independent May 3rd 1884

This building of which we present a view to-day, has been commenced by the Sheffield Sunday School Union with a view to meet a long-felt want. The objects are set forth as follows in a circular which has been issued by the Committee:-

The Sheffield Sunday School Union, which now numbers 108 schools, 3340 teachers, and 27,751 scholars, has long felt the want of a large hall and other rooms in a central part of the town. The greater attention now given to education, the growing importance of Sunday teaching, and the necessity for improvements in practice, have so emphasized the need, that if the religions education of the young is to continue to make the progress hitherto obtained in Sheffield, suitable accommodation must be provided for the meetings of the organizing and working committees, the conferences and preparation of teachers, and the instruction, training, and proper recreation of scholars. Other religious and philanthropic societies in the town have also realised the want of rooms, large and small, at a nominal charge, for their several meetings, the cost of a large ball or the difficulty of obtaining committee rooms frequently crippling their efforts to a serious extent.

"The Christian Poet" James Montgomery was one of the founders of the Sheffield School Union, many of his hymns were originally written for its gatherings, and up to the time of his death he was its honoured president. It has therefore been decided to erect a building which shall at the same time be a Sunday School Institute and a Montgomery Memorial. The scheme is a long cherished one, it has been postponed for various reasons, but the apparent delay has enabled the Committee to mature and formulate the opinions of various friends as to the best way of providing the much needed accomodation.

A most eligible site in New Surrey street has at length been secured. and the building commenced. It will contain a hall, capable of seating 1000 persons; a smaller hall, for 350 with ante-rooms, retiring rooms, and suitable kitchens. There will also be a committee room for 120 persons, smaller committee rooms, class-rooms, ladies' room, library, and reading rooms. The ground floor fronting to the street will be appropriated for sale shops, with a view of securing the income, which will be required for maintenance. The committee and class-rooms are urgently required for the ordinary work of the Union; and when not so used, will be available, as well as the larger rooms, for other institutions.

The library, and rooms in connection, will facilitate the accumulation and use of books of reference, valuable to teachers in study for their work but too costly for individual possession. Preparation and training classes, lectures on Biblical subjects, and conferences of teachers, will be brought into active operation; any singing classes, exhibitions, attractive lectures and concerts, will find recreative occupation for young people on week evenings. lt will be understood that nothing of a questionable nature will ever he permitted in any part of the building and the simple fact of a meeting or entertainment being at this place will be sufficient guarantee to parents, teachers, and employers of its harmless character.

The structural arrangements have been carefully considered: all the corridors and staircases are fireproof, all the steps are the full width at both ends, five staircases are provided for exit from the large hall, and the doors open out-wards. The front will present an acceptable addition to the street architecture of the town; it is in the domestic Gothic style of architecture, and entirely of stone. In the centre of the front is the principal entrance, on either side of which are two of the shops referred to above, and at each end of the front is another entrance. In connection with each entrance is a staircase, and there are other staircases at the back which also communicate with the side entrances. Over the shops are large windows which light the committee rooms and class rooms, the hall proper being at the back. There are several large rooms on the same floor as the large hall, and which can be used along with it for conversaziones, bazaars, etc; while the arrangement of the entrances, staircases, etc., is such as to ensure the premises being made useful for almost every purpose for which a public building is required. Over each of the entrances an oriel window, with a slight projection relieves the front and helps to make it more prominent, while immediately over the central door is a medallion bust of Montgomery.

The contract has been taken by Messrs. Geo.Longden and Son, who have erected some of the principal buildings in the town, and they have already commenced the work. The architect is Mr. J. J. Innocent, of 17 George-street. It is expected that the entire cost will not be less than £15,000.

I think the Sunday School Union (or whatever its name is now) is still in an upstairs office there. I visited it a couple of years ago.

Two things:

Regards

The other hall you refer to is Channing Hall and it's owned by the Upper Chapel on Norfolk St, the hall is connected to the Chapel by way of a hallway, I was taken through it last year.

The Sheffield Sunday School Union had a name change to: Sheffield Christian Education Council sometime in the 1960's. The Hall is now owned by the: Montgomery Arts and Christian Centre Sheffield Ltd... a non-profit making company.

Is this where the market research people take you inside? If so it is impressive inside. If you have time stop and talk to the researchers; there is usually a free gift and/or money for your time. I got £5 for about 15 minutes last week ;-)

Is this where the market research people take you inside? If so it is impressive inside. If you have time stop and talk to the researchers; there is usually a free gift and/or money for your time. I got £5 for about 15 minutes last week ;-)

Thought they used Channing Hall for market research?

All I got was a "Thank you" and a pen, but it was worth it just to see the inside.

The Sheffield Battalion of the Boys Brigade had its shop at Montgomery Hall for some years about 1960's before moving to Victoria Hall. We also used to have Battalion meetings there around the same time..

In the early 1950's I remember being a member of the Jessops' Junior Symphony Orchestra who played at a performance of "Peter and the Wolf" in the Montgomery Hall. It may have been more than just one night but my memory is somewhat hazy on the detail. Rehearsals were held in the Former church hall on Howard Street opposite the Mary Gentle Cafe.

Often wonder how long that orchestra survived. 

A hidden (?) gem of a theatre.  I saw my only ballet there in either 73 or 74.  Not keen on ballet but my girlfriend was. it was called "Orpheus in the Underworld" I think.  I took her to the Stonehouse for a drink beforehand.  I knew how to treat a girl !

Montgomery Hall was used as the Associated Board Examination Centre up to at least 1970 as I did all my piano exams there!

My late Brother, John CE. Worrall (1945-2004) was a member of Southey Operatic Society in the early 1960's and they did their Annual Show at the Mongomery Hall. In those days it was a common ventue for local Operatic and Drama Groups.          I believe Manor Operatic Society also did their shows there? I always understood it had a religious connection?

Wazzie Worrall