Greystones Picture Palace

dunsbyowl1867

from Ecclesall by ELHG

A bit of Background

'It was built by Henry Boot and Sons. The top entrance wa to the cinema and the bottom entrance took would be revellers down to the ballroom beneath. The premises were originally owned by Mr Rodgers whose daughter Ethel played the piano for the silent films. After her father's death she ran the cinema with her husband Harry. The building was badly damaged by fire in later years and is now transformed as Napoleon's.

Guest snodgrass

The Greystones was a classic flea-pit cinema prior to closing on Saturday, 17th August 1968; it had been sadly neglected for some years. I attended the last screening but saw little of the films:

A Challenge for Robin Hood (1967) & Ringo and His Golden Pistol (1966)

Despite few customers, there was general mayhem with some younger viewers running riot. I remember one individual (Mr N if you read this) being evicted by the long-suffering (and soon-to-be-redundant) staff. However he gained re-entry through the unattended fire door on a number of occasions only to repeatedly get thrown out. There were a number of small fires lit (nothing serious - just confectionery packets) and numerous small missiles thrown in various directions (those Toffee Poppets come keen on a head shot!) but mostly at the screen.

Although it had a comical side, it was nevertheless a sad end to a cinema which had provided plenty of affordable entertainment to the local populace.

I have posted this for our member abcman

================================

Cinemascope was installed at the Greystones in 1955 and a fire closed the cinema for 5 weeks in 1956.Most of the damage was in the basement ballroom, which was later converted to a night club called Napoleons.Bingo followed film shows and a more devastating fire in 1982 resulted in the building being demolished.