Co-op in Hillsborough

Guest alan_taylor63

Guest alan_taylor63

I wonder does anyone remember how the Co-op in Hillsborough used to look inside, say around 1970 I think. I have a vague memory of a grand (remember I was a child!) spiral staircase. This lead up to a furnishings department and a cafe which overlooked Middlewood Rd. My family did not have much money and I remember feeling quite awed in there and having a lovely hot chocolate.

There seems to be no trace of the staircase now unless, as i suspect, it is hidden behind the partition walling running along the Burtons department. I will have to ask the staff if I can have a look behind the scenes.

I wonder does anyone remember how the Co-op in Hillsborough used to look inside, say around 1970 I think. I have a vague memory of a grand (remember I was a child!) spiral staircase. This lead up to a furnishings department and a cafe which overlooked Middlewood Rd. My family did not have much money and I remember feeling quite awed in there and having a lovely hot chocolate.

There seems to be no trace of the staircase now unless, as i suspect, it is hidden behind the partition walling running along the Burtons department. I will have to ask the staff if I can have a look behind the scenes.

Hillsborough Co-op in the 1970's, not an area I know well so I don't know the exact location

Hidden behind Burtons?

Would that be this Burtons on Hillsborough corner in 1974?

Hillsborough Co-op in the 1970's, not an area I know well so I don't know the exact location

Hidden behind Burtons?

I suspect we're talking about the Burtons section within the Co-op store Dave. Large stores seem to do that nowadays. Devote different sections to shops which would have had their own premises not so long ago.

I suspect we're talking about the Burtons section within the Co-op store Dave. Large stores seem to do that nowadays. Devote different sections to shops which would have had their own premises not so long ago.

Sort of like the "consessionary stores" they have in Debenhams then where different companies have a sales area within a much larger store.

I didn't think the Co-op did that, but obviously they do.

Hidden behind Burtons?

Not overly close, not a consession at all.

Butrtons was on Hillsborough Corner, the Co-op was opposite the bottom of Dykes Hall Road, on the other side.

I lived on Dykes Hall Road so am reasonably sure about this since I passed it every day on my way to School.

I was there for the opening day of Tesco - got ob Monkhouse's autograph - 6d donation to charity.

I worked at Woolies 1978-80 as Saturday Boy.

My Sister managed the shoe shop on the opposite corner from Burton.

Edley's sweet shop, neaxt door to Fred Funk's Pork Butchers directly opposite the Co-op with the paper shop on the corner. Opposite side of bottom of Dykes Hall Road was Victiria Wines (was a Building Society in later days)

Hillsborough Electrical at the bottom of Minto Road and Umbrella Takeaway opposite that - worked there (underage) "rummbling spuds" in a spud rummbled.

Did I mention I was a Hillsborough resident ?

By the way, when you entered the Co-op you turned to the right to reach the bottom of the curved staircase. Qute impressive for an out of town store.

Butrtons was on Hillsborough Corner, the Co-op was opposite the bottom of Dykes Hall Road, on the other side.

I lived on Dykes Hall Road so am reasonably sure about this since I passed it every day on my way to School.

I was there for the opening day of Tesco - got ob Monkhouse's autograph - 6d donation to charity.

Edley's sweet shop, neaxt door to Fred Funk's Pork Butchers directly opposite the Co-op with the paper shop on the corner. Opposite side of bottom of Dykes Hall Road was Victiria Wines (was a Building Society in later days)

Hillsborough Electrical at the bottom of Minto Road and Umbrella Takeaway opposite that - worked there (underage) "rummbling spuds" in a spud rummbled.

By the way, when you entered the Co-op you turned to the right to reach the bottom of the curved staircase. Qute impressive for an out of town store.

Not being a Hillsborough resident, I just pass through on occasion. :)

Now Burtons is an "Underground" sandwich shop, I take it there is a (from Alan_Taylor63) a Burtons shop within the Co-Op which like Richard say's is further up Middlewood Rd.

Courtesy of Google Street View

Has the actual Co-Op department store closed, is this when Burton's moved in?

Didn't Richard do a quiz in another thread about all these things, - now he's given us half the answers.

Didn't Richard do a quiz in another thread about all these things, - now he's given us half the answers.

I'm kind like that - and confused.

I'm kind like that - and confused.

You have previously asked in some site quiz

Which store opened at Hillsborough in ???? (forgot the year)?

Which well known comedian opened it?

and how much did he charge for his autograph?

All answers in your previous past

Hi Alan,

I remember the co-op well. It was where the new co-op is now only obviously not the same building and not Burtons or on Hillsborough corner. It was set much closer to the road all on the flat no steps or ramps. Once through the front glass doors the floor opened out on both side with the stairs ahead which were straight and wide with the shoe department on the left and decorating on the right. Tucked in one corner was the accounts box where the money ran up and down a pipe which travelled all around the shop. I don`t remember any coffee shop and the present shop was built in the late 80`s early 90`s. The post office was on Hillsborough Place.

Julie