Would YOU walk this path....

Sheffield History

"> " type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340">

Guest carlie167

Hell, NO!!

Who built this, and what for?

Did you see the holes and cracks in the path, ooh mother! :o

I had to go for a lie down after watching this :unsure::blink: maybe it wasn't as scary through the camera lens - who am I kidding!!!

Do you have to come back the same way?

Not sure Phil,

and I don't think this fully explains it either .. link to 28dayslater

I would say there has be access to the Dam for maintenance reasons,

or do they fly in by helicopter ?

Not sure Phil,

and I don't think this fully explains it either .. link to 28dayslater

I would say there has be access to the Dam for maintenance reasons,

or do they fly in by helicopter ?

On the video you did not see anybody coming the opposite way. In my experience of paths with little room etc you always meet somebody coming the other way

On the video you did not see anybody coming the opposite way. In my experience of paths with little room etc you always meet somebody coming the other way

Is that on little Alpine paths in Switzerland you are talking about?

You are driving cautiously along a winding alpine road and some idiot Italian driving way too fast around blind corners in a Lambourghini is always coming the other way and can't get past. If he has to stop either he or his sieniorita will start ranting on and wildly jesticulating at you (as Italians are prone to doing) as though it was YOUR FAULT!!!

Nearly as scary as missing the last bus :o and having to walk home through Bungreave.

Nearly as scary as missing the last bus :o and having to walk home through Bungreave.

No Dunsby, missing the last bus and having to walk through certain areas of Sheffield at night is much more scarey than going along a narrow pass with a sheer drop on one side. :o

Is that on little Alpine paths in Switzerland you are talking about?

You are driving cautiously along a winding alpine road and some idiot Italian driving way too fast around blind corners in a Lambourghini is always coming the other way and can't get past. If he has to stop either he or his sieniorita will start ranting on and wildly jesticulating at you (as Italians are prone to doing) as though it was YOUR FAULT!!!

that reminds me of a story some years ago. Someone who drove the alpine roads regularly in a little 3 wheeler was so fed up with being shoved around by everyone else, he fitted his car with an air horn as used by the big lorries and buses, and thereafter delighted in sounding it when he came to a blind corner and sweeping round to find all the traffic hugging the side of the road in anticipation of something huge!

that reminds me of a story some years ago. Someone who drove the alpine roads regularly in a little 3 wheeler was so fed up with being shoved around by everyone else, he fitted his car with an air horn as used by the big lorries and buses, and thereafter delighted in sounding it when he came to a blind corner and sweeping round to find all the traffic hugging the side of the road in anticipation of something huge!

Now WHY didn't I think of doing that in my 3-wheeler days? :unsure:

It would have been great driving it around Sheffield with a large, loud air horn to sound lol

No Dunsby, missing the last bus and having to walk through certain areas of Sheffield at night is much more scarey than going along a narrow pass with a sheer drop on one side. :o
In the early hours as far back as 1989 there were no go areas in Sheffield. I worked at Geenland Road at that time and had to be there for 3 AM. We had 24 hour public transport then but one morning having missed my connection in town I started walking, I got as far as the Wicker when a police car pulled along side me and after the usual `where are you going at this time` I was told in no uncertain terms that it was not safe for me to be walking there and to get in the car and they would drop me off. The things I was told that went off in those early hours you would not belive. Needless to say I thanked the two officers very much and was very grateful. I wonder if they would do that today ? W/E.

In the early hours as far back as 1989 there were no go areas in Sheffield. I worked at Geenland Road at that time and had to be there for 3 AM. We had 24 hour public transport then but one morning having missed my connection in town I started walking, I got as far as the Wicker when a police car pulled along side me and after the usual `where are you going at this time` I was told in no uncertain terms that it was not safe for me to be walking there and to get in the car and they would drop me off. The things I was told that went off in those early hours you would not belive. Needless to say I thanked the two officers very much and was very grateful. I wonder if they would do that today ? W/E.

Burngreave, Pitsmoor, Darnall, Attercliffe, Wybourne, The Manor, etc, etc......

There are a whole list of these "no go" areas and there has been for a long time

There have been areas which have had no bus service after 7pm at night because the bus driver on a one man bus was likely to be attacked and robbed of his fares.

Surely it is time something was done about this and the weight of the law brought to bear on those who deliberately make these areas unsafe and give them a bad name.

Burngreave, Pitsmoor, Darnall, Attercliffe, Wybourne, The Manor, etc, etc......

There are a whole list of these "no go" areas and there has been for a long time

There have been areas which have had no bus service after 7pm at night because the bus driver on a one man bus was likely to be attacked and robbed of his fares.

Surely it is time something was done about this and the weight of the law brought to bear on those who deliberately make these areas unsafe and give them a bad name.

I used to live on Earl Marshall Road at Firvale, I loved that place. After 22 years living overseas, me and the missis came back to Sheffield for a holiday. I asked my brother-in-law if he would take us back to the old place for a look around. He said yes, but I can't stop the car and you can't get out. I started to laugh, he said "I'm serious." I said "Knock it off, lets go for a pint in the Cannon Hall like we used to" He drove around but he didn't stop the car and we didn't get out. That was the saddest day of our holiday.

I used to live on Earl Marshall Road at Firvale, I loved that place. After 22 years living overseas, me and the missis came back to Sheffield for a holiday. I asked my brother-in-law if he would take us back to the old place for a look around. He said yes, but I can't stop the car and you can't get out. I started to laugh, he said "I'm serious." I said "Knock it off, lets go for a pint in the Cannon Hall like we used to" He drove around but he didn't stop the car and we didn't get out. That was the saddest day of our holiday.

To requote someone else (can't remember who)

"What happens in America today will happen in Britain tommorrow"

As though we follow what the USA does. Unfortunately may big American cities, and exven the capital Washington DC, have been like this for many years and sadly it does seem that many British cities, including Sheffield are going down that same dangerous path.

{Note the pun on dangerous path to get us back on topic, - "would you walk down this path?}

I've a relative who still lives there. There are still a few of the old residents there, but not many. I visit reularly, and to be honest it's not that bad, during the day at least, but it's easy to feel uncomfortable sometimes.

Call me a cynic...but do you really think that that video has not been digitized for maximum effect??

I am always suspicious of photos & videos lately because of the technology to edit things to make them "appear" totally out of context....if you get what I mean.

Ok...so this "guy" is walking along a narrow path 100's of feet high, sheer drop, the path has MASSIVE holes and is crumbling...but "he" still manages to walk on the very edges of the crumbling surface without a fear of doubt that it would crumble?

Why does the video not "jump" as he has to cross the MASSIVE voids in the path?

Do you really think he could film as he crossed one of the gaping holes by "tightroping" across a pole....with a sheer drop beneath him??

lol makes a good video....but probably shot in a studio or something...

Lozz ;-)

Call me a cynic...but do you really think that that video has not been digitized for maximum effect??

I am always suspicious of photos & videos lately because of the technology to edit things to make them "appear" totally out of context....if you get what I mean.

Ok...so this "guy" is walking along a narrow path 100's of feet high, sheer drop, the path has massive holes and is crumbling...but "he" still manages to walk on the very edges of the crumbling surface without a fear of doubt that it would crumble?

Why does the video not "jump" as he has to cross the massive voids in the path?

Do you really think he could film as he crossed one of the gaping holes by "tightroping" across a pole....with a sheer drop beneath him??

lol makes a good video....but probably shot in a studio or something...

Lozz ;-)

OK, you're a cynic Lozzie ;-)

Looking at the other videos of the path I'm sure it's genuine. Or call me naive lol