Charles Law - any info gratefully received!!!

Guest kerry08

Guest kerry08

charles law was my great grandad. his wedding cert to my great gran (dated 4.3.1907 st marys church walkley) he was aged 28 however on his death cert (dated 8.1.1934) he is aged 53. so one is slightly out!?!? :unsure:

he lived at daniel hill st at the time of his marriage and also at 119 hammond st at time of death but that all i know. i cant trace him in any census :( i know his father is william law from his wedding certificate.

Also on his daughters birth cert (my nan) he was living at 119 hammon st

any information any one can come up with would be extremely well received! my dads side of the family are having a party at the weekend and i promised to take the tree so would love to make it longer! lol

i have just located a census return for 1891 lol

Can you give us the reference or the details? - it will help the search in 1881 and 1901 :)

Hugh

Guest kerry08

hi sorry the reference at the bottom of the census is RG12/3794 is that the reference you need? if not where would it be?

kerry

hi sorry the reference at the bottom of the census is RG12/3794 is that the reference you need? if not where would it be?

kerry

That's part of the reference (the volume number). A complete reference is:

RG12/3794 folio 89 page 34 (the folio number is only shown on every other page and is on the page before this one)

I am having great difficulty spotting Charles William in 1881 or 1901.

I can say that Annie E LAW, shown as a 1 year-old daughter of William, is, I think, listed in the birth index as Annie E SELLERS, who I believe is the daughter of the housekeeper.

Hugh

Guest kerry08

That's part of the reference (the volume number). A complete reference is:

RG12/3794 folio 89 page 34 (the folio number is only shown on every other page and is on the page before this one)

I am having great difficulty spotting Charles William in 1881 or 1901.

I can say that Annie E LAW, shown as a 1 year-old daughter of William, is, I think, listed in the birth index as Annie E SELLERS, who I believe is the daughter of the housekeeper.

Hugh

oooooooooo thanks Hugh do you think she was williams child or just an off spring of the housekeeper? we suspected that because there was no wife on this census that william and the housekeper maybe together but its just speculation.

i am at a complete loss as to william in 1881 or 1901. it means that i cannotgo any further with that branch which is a real shame. however saying that i will never give up and keep searching every now and then! lol

thanks again going to pick your brain again very soon.

kerry

I believe I have found them listed as LOWE in 1881:

piece 4659 folios 71&72 pages 24&25

5 Kirkham Place, Pitsmoor

[edit: see images in post #12 below]

This may be more than an error by the enumerator as I think this is the older brother in the birth index (which gave me a hint):

GRO Births DEC Qtr 1873

Lowe John Thomas Sheffield 9c 475

Hugh

The eldest child in 1881, Alice Rebecca:

GRO Births MAR Qtr 1872

Law Alice Rebecca

Ecclesall B. 9c 241

GRO Deaths MAR Qtr 1891

Lowe Alice Rebecca 20

Ecclesall B. 9c 212

Hugh

Given the BOULTON lodger in 1881, I think this is the marriage

GRO Marriages DEC Qtr 1870

BOULTON Martha Emma Sheffield 9c 566

LAW William Sheffield 9c 566

Hugh

Lavinia LOWE married John GASH.

In 1901 Catherine SELLERS (SELLARS) the housekeeper from 1881 and presumed mother of Annie E, is a visitor in the GASH household in Lower Walkley:

1901 piece 4343 folio 159 page 11

Hugh

Guest kerry08

Lavinia LOWE married John GASH.

In 1901 Catherine SELLERS (SELLARS) the housekeeper from 1881 and presumed mother of Annie E, is a visitor in the GASH household in Lower Walkley:

1901 piece 4343 folio 159 page 11

Hugh

Thanks ever so much Hugh I think I have that all sorted on my tree!

wonder if Martha died giving birth to Charles? bit coinsidence that she died and he was born in same year. poor woman.

where do you get all your info from? :blink:

I have been researching my tree for about 5 years and thought i was doing well but you have given me loads of information in 24hrs. am so grateful. lollollol

would you be interested in helping me with my mums side? have gone right back to 1700 with one set its just the other side. :rolleyes: Furniss

kerry

hello Kerry,

That all came from trying different searches at Ancestry, plus the GRO index as transcribed at FreeBMD. I did try and find this family in other records, such as the burials/baptisms/marriages at Sheffield Indexers, but they seemed fairly invisible. I was hoping for more evidence of them in Walkley (which is my special interest) but no such luck.

I would be happier if I could find Charles William in 1901 :angry: Maybe it's time to say what I try and avoid saying (because it usually turns out to be wrong) - maybe he volunteered to go and fight in South Africa?!

By all means tell us about your mother's side of the family.

Hugh

My great grandfather was also a Charles Law, but not this one. I have quite a lot of information about the ones in the family but do not recognise any of Kerry's ones, but I will have a look through my stuff. Charles and William turn up as Christian names in every generation of the family, which doesn't help, a;so the mis-spelling of Law and Lowe.

Guest kerry08

hello Kerry,

That all came from trying different searches at Ancestry, plus the GRO index as transcribed at FreeBMD. I did try and find this family in other records, such as the burials/baptisms/marriages at Sheffield Indexers, but they seemed fairly invisible. I was hoping for more evidence of them in Walkley (which is my special interest) but no such luck.

I would be happier if I could find Charles William in 1901 :angry: Maybe it's time to say what I try and avoid saying (because it usually turns out to be wrong) - maybe he volunteered to go and fight in South Africa?!

By all means tell us about your mother's side of the family.

Hugh

Thanks hugh i use sheffield indexers alot its really interesting!

i shall find out what i have missing on mums side would you like me to start a new thread for it?

kerry

Guest kerry08

My great grandfather was also a Charles Law, but not this one. I have quite a lot of information about the ones in the family but do not recognise any of Kerry's ones, but I will have a look through my stuff. Charles and William turn up as Christian names in every generation of the family, which doesn't help, a;so the mis-spelling of Law and Lowe.

i know its so annoying - the same names crop up constantly in my family. :angry:

the mis spelling of law/lowe explains alot as to why i couldnt find them i am so grateful to hugh