Cotleigh House

THYLACINE

Does anyone have any memories of Cotleigh House at Hackenthorpe. It stood somewhere near the junction of Cotleigh Avenue (?) and Birley Spa Lane, near a row of shops. My memories are quite vague and it was demolished sometime in the sixties. But there were strong rumours that it was haunted, my sister had a rather terrifying tale to tell about the place.

Does anyone have any memories of Cotleigh House at Hackenthorpe. It stood somewhere near the junction of Cotleigh Avenue (?) and Birley Spa Lane, near a row of shops. My memories are quite vague and it was demolished sometime in the sixties. But there were strong rumours that it was haunted, my sister had a rather terrifying tale to tell about the place.

Hi Phil,

Stuart0742 has taken some photos of what's left of Cotleigh House,

and vox has added his memories of the house.

A link here .. Only the gate posts are left

Hi Phil,

Stuart0742 has taken some photos of what's left of Cotleigh House,

and vox has added his memories of the house.

A link here .. Only the gate posts are left

Thanks SteveHB, the gateposts are a wonderful reminder of a byegone age. It could have been Hackenthorpe's answer to Buckingham Palace.

I don't think you can leave it at that Phil, - we would all love to hear the terrifying tale about the place.

Here we go then Phil. Not just about Cotleigh House but Hackenthorpe village in the 50's in general. Bear in mind that very little of this is proven historical fact. Rather just memories from my childhood and other hearsay evidence.

Cotleigh House was owned by the Hounsfield family who also owned Hackenthorpe Hall. It was in a poor state when I moved to Hackenthorpe (24th march 1953) but there were still people living in it. It was split into some sort of flats. I'm also pretty sure that one of the Hounsfield family still lived there until moving into one of their cottages near the church. I'm not sure exactly when it was demolished but I remember watching it happen. That must have been very late 50's. During the couple of years between when it became empty and when it was demolished, it (and it's Gate House) were an adventure playground for us kids.

Do you remember the orchard above the house, and the conker trees on the drive? The "New Gates" which went to nowhere were originally going to be a smart new entrance to a long driveway down to the house. It seems this plan was shelved at the outbreak of WWII and never came about. I say they went to nowhere, in fact they lead into the Daisy Field. You must remember that place. A mass of meadow flowers in Summer.

Well Lane, called by some "Pig Lane" (probably because of the pigs in the field at the side I suppose) is still there, but paved now.

Spencers Farm is now smart dwellings, The Village school is gone and a row of new houses have taken it's place. I, as you do, remember my first day there. We sang "Roll a Bobbin Up" and played with measuring jugs and water. That place had such a profound influence on me that when I moved into my present old Victorian house (20 yrs ago) I decorated the kitchen/diner in the same scheme as the Village School. Bottle green with cream above and a red pinstripe between them. I did all the woodwork in re-claimed pitch pine and stained it to what my memory told me was the same colour.

Remember the little green wooden sweet shop (Rippons News Kiosk) on the village green outside the school. This was moved to Birley Sa Lane (at the top side of where the shops are now) for a few years. It was there until the Newsagents shop was built on the new parade. I think Rippons had the new shop for a while before it was taken over by Harry Elam.

Brook Lane is still there in part. It used to lead down to Camps Bottom and the Bluebell woods. It's now got houses all the way down and is bisected by one of the new dual carriageways which seem to be every where round there now.

Howards shop. - Nobody else I speak to seems to remember this, but before Howard moved into the building next to the Village Shop, he used to have a little wooden hut up the yard opposite. I remember my dad talking to him as he sat outside mending bikes. I was only 4 or 5 then but it's quite clear in my mind. I've marked it on the map. The pictures are from my Mom. I've got quite a few scanned from what, I think, she took from a book about the area.

Staniforths - I remember seeing the workmen going to and from work. All dressed in 3 piece suits and mufflers, carrying their "Mashing cans" and clattering down the street in their hob nails. I read somewhere else on this site, very recently, someone's comment about a photo where all the workers were dressed alike. Well that's how it was then. People had a suit for best, then when it needed renewing, that became their work suit. "They always seemed to be navy blue serge as well."

Our house was one of the first to be completed in that part of the estate, and the builders had their hut in next doors "garden". The neighbours all had kids of my sort of age. At dinner time they would take us kids off down through the village looking for birds nests etc. Carrying us on their backs or shoulders. I don't think that would happen now.

Mr Disney, the village bobby, caught me and Eric, my next door neighbour, in the ruins of Cotleigh House. He wrote our names in his book and marched us home. At our house he said (and I remember it as plain as day) "I caught him in the ruins Fred, I told him last time what would happen." My dad said "Have you given him a clip Mr Disney" He said "No not this time, I thought I'd leave that to you"

Dad thanked him and he left. Then Dad proceeded to give me hell about his reputation, and having had a policeman standing at his door. It certainly made me more careful after that, even if it didn't stop me from committing further offenses. :)

Oh well I could go on for hours but I'm digressing. I'm sure you have similar memories Phil. By the way, I think I do remember you, or rather just the name, but as Philip in those days.

Village School front and rear

Rippons kiosk on the village green and Cotleigh cottages

Map and Key

A - "New" Gates To Cotleigh House 1930's

B - Cotleigh House Orchard

C - Cotleigh House Gate House

D - Cotleigh Cottages (I think old Miss Houndsfield moved there after leaving Cotleigh House)

E - Well Lane (Pig Lane) down to Rainbow Forge School

F - Blacksmith's Shop Next to Post Office

G - Village School

H - Howards Cycle Shop

I - Site of Rippons Kiosk (Later moved to Birley Spa Lane untill the new shops were built)

J - Mom & Dad's

K - Doctor DeDombel's

L - Spencers Farm (Dovecot Farm)

M - Memmots

N - Mother of Pearl works

O - Village Shop

P - Spencers cow fields

Q - The Daisy field

R - Field where the pigs were

S - Thos. Staniforths

T - Howard's hut before he moved to the shop

COTLEIGH HOUSE

(Google Street View)

What was once the entrance from Main Street

The Gate house was bottom left of the picture and there were large "Conker" trees.

It's been gone so long now that the "new" trees are starting to look old, although I think they are relatively recent additions.

Here's the land where Cotleigh House once stood. - now some sort of Sheltered Accommodation.

Taken from Cotleigh Crescent

Here we go then Phil. Not just about Cotleigh House but Hackenthorpe village in the 50's in general. Bear in mind that very little of this is proven historical fact. Rather just memories from my childhood and other hearsay evidence.

Cotleigh House was owned by the Hounsfield family who also owned Hackenthorpe Hall. It was in a poor state when I moved to Hackenthorpe (24th march 1953) but there were still people living in it. It was split into some sort of flats. I'm also pretty sure that one of the Hounsfield family still lived there until moving into one of their cottages near the church. I'm not sure exactly when it was demolished but I remember watching it happen. That must have been very late 50's. During the couple of years between when it became empty and when it was demolished, it (and it's Gate House) were an adventure playground for us kids.

Do you remember the orchard above the house, and the conker trees on the drive? The "New Gates" which went to nowhere were originally going to be a smart new entrance to a long driveway down to the house. It seems this plan was shelved at the outbreak of WWII and never came about. I say they went to nowhere, in fact they lead into the Daisy Field. You must remember that place. A mass of meadow flowers in Summer.

Well Lane, called by some "Pig Lane" (probably because of the pigs in the field at the side I suppose) is still there, but paved now.

Spencers Farm is now smart dwellings, The Village school is gone and a row of new houses have taken it's place. I, as you do, remember my first day there. We sang "Roll a Bobbin Up" and played with measuring jugs and water. That place had such a profound influence on me that when I moved into my present old Victorian house (20 yrs ago) I decorated the kitchen/diner in the same scheme as the Village School. Bottle green with cream above and a red pinstripe between them. I did all the woodwork in re-claimed pitch pine and stained it to what my memory told me was the same colour.

Remember the little green wooden sweet shop (Rippons News Kiosk) on the village green outside the school. This was moved to Birley Sa Lane (at the top side of where the shops are now) for a few years. It was there until the Newsagents shop was built on the new parade. I think Rippons had the new shop for a while before it was taken over by Harry Elam.

Brook Lane is still there in part. It used to lead down to Camps Bottom and the Bluebell woods. It's now got houses all the way down and is bisected by one of the new dual carriageways which seem to be every where round there now.

Howards shop. - Nobody else I speak to seems to remember this, but before Howard moved into the building next to the Village Shop, he used to have a little wooden hut up the yard opposite. I remember my dad talking to him as he sat outside mending bikes. I was only 4 or 5 then but it's quite clear in my mind. I've marked it on the map. The pictures are from my Mom. I've got quite a few scanned from what, I think, she took from a book about the area.

Staniforths - I remember seeing the workmen going to and from work. All dressed in 3 piece suits and mufflers, carrying their "Mashing cans" and clattering down the street in their hob nails. I read somewhere else on this site, very recently, someone's comment about a photo where all the workers were dressed alike. Well that's how it was then. People had a suit for best, then when it needed renewing, that became their work suit. "They always seemed to be navy blue serge as well."

Our house was one of the first to be completed in that part of the estate, and the builders had their hut in next doors "garden". The neighbours all had kids of my sort of age. At dinner time they would take us kids off down through the village looking for birds nests etc. Carrying us on their backs or shoulders. I don't think that would happen now.

Mr Disney, the village bobby, caught me and Eric, my next door neighbour, in the ruins of Cotleigh House. He wrote our names in his book and marched us home. At our house he said (and I remember it as plain as day) "I caught him in the ruins Fred, I told him last time what would happen." My dad said "Have you given him a clip Mr Disney" He said "No not this time, I thought I'd leave that to you"

Dad thanked him and he left. Then Dad proceeded to give me hell about his reputation, and having had a policeman standing at his door. It certainly made me more careful after that, even if it didn't stop me from committing further offenses. :)

Oh well I could go on for hours but I'm digressing. I'm sure you have similar memories Phil. By the way, I think I do remember you, or rather just the name, but as Philip in those days.

Village School front and rear

Rippons kiosk on the village green and Cotleigh cottages

Map and Key

A - "New" Gates To Cotleigh House 1930's

B - Cotleigh House Orchard

C - Cotleigh House Gate House

D - Cotleigh Cottages (I think old Miss Houndsfield moved there after leaving Cotleigh House)

E - Well Lane (Pig Lane) down to Rainbow Forge School

F - Blacksmith's Shop Next to Post Office

G - Village School

H - Howards Cycle Shop

I - Site of Rippons Kiosk (Later moved to Birley Spa Lane untill the new shops were built)

J - Mom & Dad's

K - Doctor DeDombel's

L - Spencers Farm (Dovecot Farm)

M - Memmots

N - Mother of Pearl works

O - Village Shop

P - Spencers cow fields

Q - The Daisy field

R - Field where the pigs were

S - Thos. Staniforths

T - Howard's hut before he moved to the shop

COTLEIGH HOUSE

(Google Street View)

What was once the entrance from Main Street

The Gate house was bottom left of the picture and there were large "Conker" trees.

It's been gone so long now that the "new" trees are starting to look old, although I think they are relatively recent additions.

Here's the land where Cotleigh House once stood. - now some sort of Sheltered Accommodation.

Taken from Cotleigh Crescent

Thank you SO much for your wonderful post, I've been a member for a few months and this is just the kind of thing I was hoping for. I spent all last night reading and re-reading your childhood memories, studying the maps and drooling over the pictures - those wonderful pictures of the old village school - did you notice the steps up to the back door?!!! Why did they knock it down, out here a building like that would be a national treasure. I'm ashamed to say that I have little or no recollection of some of the things you assumed I would remember, the conker trees, the orchard, Rippons News Kiosk and Doctor DeDombels. But your story did bring back some great memories for me. We lived near the end of Birley Spa Lane near the HogsHead, most Sundays our whole family would go walking, past Carter Lodge School, across the rec. or past the button factory and through Hackenthorpe Village. Dr Pagdins was on the right, I remember the Post Office but not the blacksmith. Spencers Farm was still there behind the low stone wall then the school and we would head off down Brook Lane, some houses on the left (one of my schoolmates Alan Simmonite lived there) then down a dirt track and across the little brook at the bottom and up the other side past the big house with the cannons out front. This area was heavily wooded and eventually we came out on Mosborough Moor. Sometimes we would even walk to the river at Ford if Dad wasn't too tired. Also I remember the scythe and sickle works on Main Street, I loved your description of the suited workmen with their hobnail boots! Yes, we had a few run-ins with Mr Disney, what a character - he DID used to ride a pushbike didn't he. I got stopped on my motorbike one day at Halfway - a learner rider carrying an unlicenced passenger - Mr Disney got to hear of it and from then on he referred to me as "The Halfway Case" as if I'd commited some heinous crime. I really didn't know Cotleigh House much at all, I just remember walking past the gates and seeing this big dark spooky building. One night my sister came home in a state of shock, she had been exploring the then derelict building and something had scared the pants off her, she said it was a ghost (Sorry DaveH thats all I can remember but I will ask her about it next time she calls). I would be grateful to read any further posts Andrew, I just can't get enough of this stuff. Do you really think you remember me? Surely not. Anyway here's a picture taken at the football field on Drakehouse Lane circa 1960. I am front row far right, the Billy Kasper look alike with the MASSIVE shorts. My brother (who still lives in Sheffield) is standing next to the trainer with the black track pants.

Thanks for everything.

Thank you SO much for your wonderful post, I've been a member for a few months and this is just the kind of thing I was hoping for. I spent all last night reading , ...............

Hi Phil

I lived at Hackenthorpe from 1970 til I got married in 1980, a bit after you and Vox.

You mentioned Dr Pagden, my late father used to call him "Panel Note" Pagden, because he would always sign you on the sick with out to many questions.

Hi Phil

I lived at Hackenthorpe from 1970 til I got married in 1980, a bit after you and Vox.

You mentioned Dr Pagden, my late father used to call him "Panel Note" Pagden, because he would always sign you on the sick with out to many questions.

He was still kicking in 1995, I saw him in the supermarket but didn't have the guts to go up and ask him for a sick note

So how old are you Phil?

And remind me of the year/s you're talking about. As soon as I saw the name Alan Simmonite the bells rang again.

I suppose Simmonite is not such an unusual name, but placing it around Hackenthorpe village in that era, it must be the same family.

Did he perhaps have a brother (Maybe John)

I am going back 55 years now, so some things are a bit woolly.

I'll respond to some more a bit later.

My surname is Hinkler by the way.

So how old are you Phil?

And remind me of the year/s you're talking about. As soon as I saw the name Alan Simmonite the bells rang again.

I suppose Simmonite is not such an unusual name, but placing it around Hackenthorpe village in that era, it must be the same family.

Did he perhaps have a brother (Maybe John)

I am going back 55 years now, so some things are a bit woolly.

I'll respond to some more a bit later.

My surname is Hinkler by the way.

I'm 59, we moved to Hackenthorpe from Mexborough when I was 5, must have been 1955, I don't remember how long I attended the village school but I started at Rainbow Forge in 1958, still have my school reports. Alan Simmonite was a schoolmate at Rainbow Forge, I don't know if he had a brother, my memory is woolier than yours Andrew. I'm afraid the only Hinkler I know is Bert Hinkler, Australia's flying ace who flew solo in a single seater plane from London to Darwin in 1928. He was killed in 1933 attempting to break the England - Australia record.

I'm 59, we moved to Hackenthorpe from Mexborough when I was 5, must have been 1955, I don't remember how long I attended the village school but I started at Rainbow Forge in 1958, still have my school reports. Alan Simmonite was a schoolmate at Rainbow Forge, I don't know if he had a brother, my memory is woolier than yours Andrew. I'm afraid the only Hinkler I know is Bert Hinkler, Australia's flying ace who flew solo in a single seater plane from London to Darwin in 1928. He was killed in 1933 attempting to break the England - Australia record.

And of course (because he never got back here) he's not celebrated the same here as he is in Australia. Amy Johnson gets all the credit for the "England to Australia run" even though she was only the first woman to do it.

Bert was my grandfather's cousin. It's noted in the family how much I look like him.

You must have followed me through all three schools a year behind. Do you remember the 3 bands, Zachery Thack, The Incognito and The Quilliers. All had members from the same year or so as me at Thornbridge and Birley.

I think Alan Birks would have been in your year. He was in Zachery Thack.

Brian Barker would have been in your year as well.

He was in the Quilliers with me.

Guest carlie167

And of course (because he never got back here) he's not celebrated the same here as he is in Australia. Amy Johnson gets all the credit for the "England to Australia run" even though she was only the first woman to do it.

Bert was my grandfather's cousin. It's noted in the family how much I look like him.

You must have followed me through all three schools a year behind. Do you remember the 3 bands, Zachery Thack, The Incognito and The Quilliers. All had members from the same year or so as me at Thornbridge and Birley.

Oh what a blast from the past this post is!

I remember Zachery Thack and Incognito. I'm sure they played at Carter Lodge youth club and the Scout hut (aka moggy hut) on Linley Lane, but I dont remember the individual names.

Perhaps someone else can enlighten me.

Oh where do the years go? :huh:

Oh what a blast from the past this post is!

I remember Zachery Thack and Incognito. I'm sure they played at Carter Lodge youth club and the Scout hut (aka moggy hut) on Linley Lane, but I dont remember the individual names.

Perhaps someone else can enlighten me.

Oh where do the years go? :huh:

Zachery Thack

Vocals - Alan Birks

Bass - Kevin Stanton

Guitar - Maybe Andy Ellis

Drums - ?

Incognito

Vocals - Kenny Lloy

Drums - His brother (Collin ?)

Bass - Could be Pete Jackson

Guitar - ?

Quilliers

Guitar - Chris Moore

Guitar - Brian Barker

Vocals - Me

Bass - Roger Burbeary

Drums - Bob Ward

You mentioned the Scout hut dances.

The Qilliers played there as resident band at every one at first. It was me who originally got the dances organized.

After a short while we got a proper manager and he moved us on to "better things" Not that much could be described as being better than those nights at the Scout hut. The atmosphere was awesome.

Also Tommy (Fred) Eyre, (later to be a member of Cocker's grease band) used to get up and do the occasional thing.

Tommy later went on to be an international star. Sadly he died a few years ago.

A few years later, Incognito added me on Saxophone and Ginger Freud (can't remember his real name) on trumpet and became a soul band called The Ginger Freud Steam Band.

Zachery Thack

Vocals - Alan Birks

Bass - Kevin Stanton

Guitar - Maybe Andy Ellis

Drums - ?

Incognito

Vocals - Kenny Lloy

Drums - His brother (Collin ?)

Bass - Could be Pete Jackson

Guitar - ?

Quilliers

Guitar - Chris Moore

Guitar - Brian Barker

Vocals - Me

Bass - Roger Burbeary

Drums - Bob Ward

You mentioned the Scout hut dances.

The Qilliers played there as resident band at every one at first. It was me who originally got the dances organized.

After a short while we got a proper manager and he moved us on to "better things" Not that much could be described as being better than those nights at the Scout hut. The atmosphere was awesome.

Also Tommy (Fred) Eyre, (later to be a member of Cocker's grease band) used to get up and do the occasional thing.

Tommy later went on to be an international star. Sadly he died a few years ago.

A few years later, Incognito added me on Saxophone and Ginger Freud (can't remember his real name) on trumpet and became a soul band called The Ginger Freud Steam Band.

Hey Vox, Here's a photo for your personal profile. I'm sorry, the names you mentioned failed to turn the windmills - with the exception of Zachery Thack of course, what a great name for a band, it must have appeared in the Twikker at some time . . . . and one other name. I wonder if it could be? When I was at Thornbridge, there was a piano round the back, outside the science block if I remember rightly, and there was a guy who used to bang out tunes on it at lunch times and he was good. Definitely more Little Richard than Russ Conway. We knew him simply as Fred but Fred Eyre sounds strangely familiar. Was this Tommy Eyre? If so, can you tell me a bit more about him?

Hey Vox, Here's a photo for your personal profile. I'm sorry, the names you mentioned failed to turn the windmills - with the exception of Zachery Thack of course, what a great name for a band, it must have appeared in the Twikker at some time . . . . and one other name. I wonder if it could be? When I was at Thornbridge, there was a piano round the back, outside the science block if I remember rightly, and there was a guy who used to bang out tunes on it at lunch times and he was good. Definitely more Little Richard than Russ Conway. We knew him simply as Fred but Fred Eyre sounds strangely familiar. Was this Tommy Eyre? If so, can you tell me a bit more about him?

Thanks for the pic, I just tried to upload it but it said try later. I will.

The piano - now there's a story. I don't think anyone would believe it without you being able to verify that the piano existed. :)

It's a long one but I'll cut it as short as I can.

Us who were in bands at the time had permission to use the music room at dinner time. This worked ok for a while until, as lads will do, we overstretched the mark a bit and the privilege was withdrawn. Undaunted we decided to use the bike sheds instead, which we did, but missed having the piano. Fred heard about a piano going free from someone at Basegreen and we decided it would be a simple case of going down there one dinner time and pushing it up the hill to school.

(Strange ideas you get when you're young and foolhardy) Well we got the piano and started pushing. Within the first 50 yards or so one caster came off, then another, by the time we got partway up Birley Lane, we'd lost all the wheels, chucked away every bit of unnecessary woodwork and were carrying it. A couple of lads chickened out because dinner time was over, but 4 of us continued up as far as the fence on the corner of the playing fields and left it there. We got back to school late, took the flack, and waited 'till home-time.

We sneaked - can you sneak a piano?, across the rugby pitch and put it proudly round the corner of the music block. The rest you'll probably remember as we were forced to keep moving it whenever the prefects found us. Bike sheds, Science block, behind the dustbins --. We were told to get rid of it by Paddy McMahon. (Remember him?) Amazingly we managed to keep moving it around and held onto it for a couple of weeks. I can't remember what eventually happened to what was left of it.

It was a great adventure.

Here's a tribute to my school mate Fred Tommy Eyre who died in 2001. It's done by a friend of mine, Bev, who looks after the excelent Phil Brodie Band website.

Tommy's brother Simon is also a fine musician. He was at Carter Lodge with my brother. They formed a band together while they were there.

His dad was a chimney sweep. He had a motorbike and sidecar until he moved up to a Bond 3 wheeler. Fred (Senior) played the piano in the pubs most evenings. He told us lads on more than one occasion "Learn t playt pianer lads, thal never bi short 'n' a pint" :)

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the pic, I just tried to upload it but it said try later. I will.

The piano - now there's a story. I don't think anyone would believe it without you being able to verify that the piano existed. :)

It's a long one but I'll cut it as short as I can.

Us who were in bands at the time had permission to use the music room at dinner time. This worked ok for a while until, as lads will do, we overstretched the mark a bit and the privilege was withdrawn. Undaunted we decided to use the bike sheds instead, which we did, but missed having the piano. Fred heard about a piano going free from someone at Basegreen and we decided it would be a simple case of going down there one dinner time and pushing it up the hill to school.

(Strange ideas you get when you're young and foolhardy) Well we got the piano and started pushing. Within the first 50 yards or so one caster came off, then another, by the time we got partway up Birley Lane, we'd lost all the wheels, chucked away every bit of unnecessary woodwork and were carrying it. A couple of lads chickened out because dinner time was over, but 4 of us continued up as far as the fence on the corner of the playing fields and left it there. We got back to school late, took the flack, and waited 'till home-time.

We sneaked - can you sneak a piano?, across the rugby pitch and put it proudly round the corner of the music block. The rest you'll probably remember as we were forced to keep moving it whenever the prefects found us. Bike sheds, Science block, behind the dustbins --. We were told to get rid of it by Paddy McMahon. (Remember him?) Amazingly we managed to keep moving it around and held onto it for a couple of weeks. I can't remember what eventually happened to what was left of it.

It was a great adventure.

Here's a tribute to my school mate Fred Tommy Eyre who died in 2001. It's done by a friend of mine, Bev, who looks after the excelent Phil Brodie Band website.

Tommy's brother Simon is also a fine musician. He was at Carter Lodge with my brother. They formed a band together while they were there.

His dad was a chimney sweep. He had a motorbike and sidecar until he moved up to a Bond 3 wheeler. Fred (Senior) played the piano in the pubs most evenings. He told us lads on more than one occasion "Learn t playt pianer lads, thal never bi short 'n' a pint" :)

Thanks Vox, the piano story is fantastic, you have filled a few gaps in my life which I never knew were there. I just read the Tommy Eyre tribute page, I'm in heaven now . . .

Guest mapleneck

Thanks Vox, the piano story is fantastic, you have filled a few gaps in my life which I never knew were there. I just read the Tommy Eyre tribute page, I'm in heaven now . . .

Let me fill in a few more gaps guys.

Zackery Thak guitarist was Andy Ellis

Zackery Thak drummer was Andy Hunt

The scout hut was our first outing about two weeks after Kev finished making his bass guitar and we had thought of a name. I was reading the lyrics from a school exercise book, Kev was still trying to stretch his fingers over a twelve bar and Andy Ellis was trying all night to ring Fred so that he could play rhythm instead of lead

Later, additional members were Kieth Hobson, guitar and Terry Hallis, Keyboards

Incognito bass was Pete Jackson and Colin Lloy was the drummer. Kenny Lloy was both guitarist and vocalist as I remember it

As for the piano we first put it behind the gym which was the only brick wall at Thornbridge School so we couldn't be seen smoking and we could have lookouts at each corner. The prefects eventually caught us by coming over the roof.

Zackery Thak never had use of the music room because Andy Hunt and Kevin Stanton were not at Thornbridge.

Fred didn't get to use the music room either dating from the time he gave Snook the wrong note to tune his violin before he played at Friday assembly. Fred was also banned from the school orchestra for the same reason and that is why we dragged the piano from Base Green for him. The psychadelic paint job we gave it in the bike sheds was amazing, or so we thought at the time.

Guest mapleneck

For a little more gap filling have a look at the Simon Eyre website (www.simoneyre.com) it was the history and Tommy sections that brought on the nostalgia and why I am now on this site

Guest mapleneck

Brian Barker was in the year below me.

I was in the same year at Thornbridge as Bob Ward, Roger Burbeary, Chris Moore, Andy Ellis, Terry Hallis, and Keith Hobson. Kevin Stanton was at Birley and Andy Hunt was at Frecheville

Brian Barker was in the year below me.

I was in the same year at Thornbridge as Bob Ward, Roger Burbeary, Chris Moore, Andy Ellis, Terry Hallis, and Keith Hobson. Kevin Stanton was at Birley and Andy Hunt was at Frecheville

Thanks for the link to Simon's site. I've bookmarked it.

Well - same year as me as well then. Now you tell me, I know you were. You were in Pictou same as me as well.

Wonder why I had you down as in Brian's year. - - The pasage of time.

I used to see Kev and his family quite regularly 'till he went abroad, (I don't even know if he's come back or not) and I see Rog & Chris quite often. We reformed the band for a few gigs, that was over 10 years ago now. That was fun.

Don't suppose you have anything of yours recorded from back then. I'd love a copy if you have.

There was a reel to reel of us at one time, but Bob sent it to some relatives (in Australia I think) and it never came back. I've just got a few posters and a couple of photos left.

You still playing? I've never really stopped.

For a little more gap filling have a look at the Simon Eyre website (www.simoneyre.com) it was the history and Tommy sections that brought on the nostalgia and why I am now on this site

Hi "Mapleneck", thanks for your post, wasn't it just the greatest of times? How can anyone say they hated school? They should have been at Thornbridge in the sixties. So many characters, so many memories. I must admit I feel a little bit left out, I think I was a year behind you and Vox and none of the names are familiar, except the ones common to us all - Snook, McMahon, Doc Haslam, Gould the giant, Spode from Biology, Miss Hannington who taught us French, Lancaster, Clarke the Latin and Miss Cox, who was supposed to have married one of her students? (Any truth in the rumour?) But the piano saga was a classic, I'm stoked that you and Vox were able to tell the story.

We were listening to the radio at work, they were playing Gerry Raferty's 'Baker Street' and my workmate was raving about the sax solo. I quickly printed out Tommy's entire website and showed it to him. (Tommy Eyre played keyboard on that track) I big noted myself by saying I went to school with him. My workmate, the Kiwi, was knocked out. Thanks again, any more Thornbridge memories? Checking out the other website now.

Guest mapleneck

Well - same year as me as well then. Now you tell me, I know you were. You were in Pictou same as me as well.

I used to see Kev and his family quite regularly 'till he went abroad, (I don't even know if he's come back or not) and I see Rog & Chris quite often. We reformed the band for a few gigs, that was over 10 years ago now. That was fun.

Don't suppose you have anything of yours recorded from back then. I'd love a copy if you have.

There was a reel to reel of us at one time, but Bob sent it to some relatives (in Australia I think) and it never came back. I've just got a few posters and a couple of photos left.

Guest mapleneck

Pictou rings a very small bell with me - I wasn't there!

We, Zackery Thak, also had a reel to reel recording at one time but Kev loaned it out and we never saw,or heard, it again. Shame really but what to do we were all moving on at the time and we'd probably have all be pretty embarrassed it it ever resurfaced

Guest CBirks

Hi everybody,

This is amazing reading for me, absolutely fascinating. My name is Chris Birks, Alan Birks' eldest son. Unfortunately, Alan died at the end of February of a sudden heart-attack aged 61. I'm trying to work out as much of his life that I can, namely the bits that I never had time to ask him about. If any of you guys have any *** bits of information or good stories on his school days/band days/Sheffield days I'd really appreciate it if you could post them up or pass them on. Drugs, girls, bands, gigs, arrests, near-misses, you name it and I want to hear it. I was born when Alan was 39 so there's practically a whole lifetime of stuff that I know extremely little about!

Chris

ps: I've got some really interesting photos some of you may all be interested in, where should I put them up?

Hi everybody,

This is amazing reading for me, absolutely fascinating. My name is Chris Birks, Alan Birks' eldest son. Unfortunately, Alan died at the end of February of a sudden heart-attack aged 61. I'm trying to work out as much of his life that I can, namely the bits that I never had time to ask him about. If any of you guys have any tit bits of information or good stories on his school days/band days/Sheffield days I'd really appreciate it if you could post them up or pass them on. Drugs, girls, bands, gigs, arrests, near-misses, you name it and I want to hear it. I was born when Alan was 39 so there's practically a whole lifetime of stuff that I know extremely little about!

Chris

ps: I've got some really interesting photos some of you may all be interested in, where should I put them up?

Hello and welcome to the site Chris,

regarding where to post your photos would depend on their content.

As Alan has been mentioned in this Topic you can post them in here,

they can always be moved on to a more appropriate area of the forum if needs be.

Steve