The Great Bus Shortage c1980?

GrinderBloke

Guest wayney g

Coming back to me now. We were short of buses as some ass of a DOT inspector had run in with someone at Greenland Rd garage & took most of fleet off the road, because he could!

Then sypte hired in retired buses from all over England.

The ones I remember most were from Manchester.... had loads of overtime making them roadworthy. I was then at herries rd garage

Guest transit

seems like a good place this

anyone remember the MAN bendibuses ?

These ones.........

Guest wayney g

These ones.........

Yup thems the ones !!!! me (at the time was still apprentice) & terry forget (second name) changed flywheels on the lot ! Bloke from M A N said any major work required 50 mile rd test god didnt terry milk that one lol

Guest bus man

One of the Manchester standards while on loan to the pte in around 1979 ish posed on east bank road on a tour

Guest wayney g

hi there busman ! maybe you can help me jog my memory !!!!! goin senile !!!!! worked for SYPTE from 76 to 86 4 years as apprentice 6 as fitter saw many things during my time there !!would like to realy like to contact any engeering staff there during those years particuarly late ones based at herries rd !!any way you could assist ????

Guest rick9525

he he Have to agree with that last comment. The Vanhools really were, and still are superb machines, particularly in semi automatic guise. Handle great, super performance, and if you like it, all the right sound effects to go with it!

I've added a picture of an East Bank Ailsa, on High Street, Sheffield.

My favourite bus. Used to catch them on the 75 Bradway route from Town to Meadowhead. Used to love the sound they made going up the big hill to Meadowhead.

Guest plain talker

Coming back to me now. We were short of buses as some ass of a DOT inspector had run in with someone at Greenland Rd garage & took most of fleet off the road, because he could!

Then sypte hired in retired buses from all over England.

The ones I remember most were from Manchester.... had loads of overtime making them roadworthy. I was then at herries rd garage

I remember the orange Manchester buses very well.

Guest littlemalc

I think the distance of time has blinkered some of you to the qualities of the Van Hool, the driver having to get in from an offside door like days of yore, was a great step backwards, also, although once the turbo cut in as revs went up and power surged, it was very poor and slow at pulling away, an essential requirement of a PSV vehicle, is that it can get off the spot sharpish to allow time keeping on a busy route.

The engine sat at the side of the driver under a fibreglass cover was also a noisy distraction, couple all this with poor quality body work, and you can see why they were no great success. as most routes at this time were also converting to one person ops, it was totaly unsuitable for this use, a strange mismash of design altogether.