Marsdens' Dairies

madannie77

From the Summer 1953 ABC Coach Guide, a long and thin advert for Marsdens'.

marsdens_advert.jpg

I assume that the ice cream was made in the factory behind the Plough Inn on Sandygate Road, as shown on Map 285, as the advert gives the company address as 310 Sandygate Road.

A quick peek at Multimap reveals the factory has beeen replaced by a housing estate.

Does anyone have any details or memories of the company and it's products, cafes etc.

Guest Gramps

I remember the one on Change Alley but to us it was 'Marsdens Milk Bar' rather than the Carlton Resaurant. I seem to remember the decor was prominently blue and white, - favourite drinks were 'froffee' coffee and milk shakes and I think they sold the usual curly sandwiches that were so popular in the 1950s he he

From the Summer 1953 ABC Coach Guide, a long and thin advert for Marsdens'.

I assume that the ice cream was made in the factory behind the Plough Inn on Sandygate Road, as shown on Map 285, as the advert gives the company address as 310 Sandygate Road.

A quick peek at Multimap reveals the factory has beeen replaced by a housing estate.

Does anyone have any details or memories of the company and it's products, cafes etc.

A bit too young to remember but I did come across these photos in 'Sheffield in the 1930s' by Peter Harvey - hope they help jog a few!

Gramps said:
I remember the one on Change Alley but to us it was 'Marsdens Milk Bar' rather than the Carlton Resaurant. I seem to remember the decor was prominently blue and white, - favourite drinks were 'froffee' coffee and milk shakes and I think they sold the usual curly sandwiches that were so popular in the 1950s he he

The ad suggests that there is a milk bar on Change Alley as well as the Carlton Restaurant. The two can be seen side by side in these pictures from Picture Sheffield:

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s14250&pos=1&action=zoom&id=17070

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s14251&pos=1&action=zoom&id=17071

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s14252&pos=1&action=zoom&id=17072

and this one helps to put it into context for those people too young to remember Change Alley.

The ad suggests that there is a milk bar on Change Alley as well as the Carlton Restaurant. The two can be seen side by side in these pictures from Picture Sheffield:

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/zo...jpgh/s14250.jpg

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/zo...jpgh/s14251.jpg

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/zo...jpgh/s14252.jpg

and this one helps to put it into context for those people too young to remember Change Alley.

HI All l used to save up to go in Marsdens Milk Bar on Change Alley on Sat afternoons, we used to gather in there to flirt with the girls, of course they were there for the same thing as the lads, this was before the war and we could not wait for repairs to be done after the Blitz, the firm that was there before the Elect; offices was Mudfords the tent and rope makers and the last shop past the milk bar was Wilks the ironmongers shop corner of Norfolk st Oh! to be that age again, [and know what l know now] Arthur

@madannie...yes you're right of course, I doubt I ever noticed the restaurant :)

Arthur, - I was a 'regular' in Wilks in the late 40s. My grandfather was a bit of a handyman - always doing little jobs for his neighbours and he would send me there for the hardware, hinges, locks and gate latches etc. I always thought there would be very little you couldn't buy in that shop ! Bucket washers were a regular item - remember those ??

I assume that the ice cream was made in the factory behind the Plough Inn on Sandygate Road,
Don't remember this as an ice cream factory, but do remember the buildings being used by Sandygate Motors for repairs.

Don't remember this as an ice cream factory, but do remember the buildings being used by Sandygate Motors for repairs.

Taken from 1954 Sheffield Telegraph Street Guide

Taken from 1954 Sheffield Telegraph Street Guide

I think Marsdens still have offices in the building next to the Plough, if not they did a couple of years ago as I had an interview there.

I think Marsdens still have offices in the building next to the Plough, if not they did a couple of years ago as I had an interview there.

Thats right sando, it appears their business has grown over the years. They are (or were?) still into catering.

Here is a couple of links, Marsdens are still listed as 310 Sandygate road as they were in the 1950s, perhaps before?

http://www.alljobsuk.com/sitemap/majoremployer/9390

http://www.thefranchisemagazine.net/franch...-franchise/3271

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source...338.96,,0,10.62

Back around 1963 - 1965 I used to work for Marsdens in Clumber Park.  They used to take a van full (7 or 8 I think) of us lads down to Clumber on Sunday mornings from Easter to August Bank Holiday.  When we got there we were fed then shipped out to individual little wooden kiosks around the park.  Each of us were given (if I remember correctly) a box of ice lollies, two blocks of ice cream (about a foot long and the size of a standard ice cream), a metal marker stamp, a sharp kitchen carving knife, ice cream wafers and a lump of cardice (dry ice; solid carbon dioxide).  We also got some water and a dishcloth for cleaning the knife and stamp.  Each kiosk had a large cool box into which went the cardice, ice cream and lollies.  The idea was that the stamp marked 8 or 10 portions (can't remember now) and these were cut off the block when required.  On a warm day, the van came round on a regular basis and replenished stocks but I well remember, especially when Easter was early, sitting there all day as it chucked it down with rain and you were lucky to see anybody drive by never mind stop off to buy an ice cream.  At about half past four we were all picked up, sales versus income was checked and we were all bundled into the back of the van for the ride back to Sheffield.  Would love to see any pictures of those little cabins in Clumber if anyone has some.      

Our office is still at Sandygate Road and we still exist albeit in a different guise these days, but happy to assist with any queries into our history.

• Like 1

Pictorial ad from Sheff Telegraph Year Book 1962. “Any time, any where”? Maybe that couple are drinking Martini...

E6157396-845F-44E1-949B-FB848048F0B2.jpeg

This was the worst job I ever had during vacation time.

I was responsible to take frozen fruit pops from the ice-cold tanks. I wore wellington boots and a rubber apron and the salty water poured over the apron and hit the top of my boots.

By the end of the day as I walked home and gingerly got into a warm bath. The rubbing caused huge welts which hurt like hell and, as I said, it was my worst job ever.

That was the last day I attended but I did tell Marsdens why!

On 12/06/2020 at 16:48, Matthew Marsden said:

Our office is still at Sandygate Road and we still exist albeit in a different guise these days, but happy to assist with any queries into our history.

Hi Matthew. I am trying to document  my past life as an autobiography.  My family lived in 310 around 1965 for a few years sharing the property with the offices. Dad had a building business doing quite a bit of work for the company before taking on the role of resident fixer upper.  As a kid I took the easy option getting a job close by so started work for Sandygate Garage in the bodyshop sited in the highest of the 2 large newish sheds behind the Plough. I have no photographic record of the sheds, the garage and any further up the road.  It has all gone now and I expect Marsdens had some influence in the development.  My career went very well, ignited by Marsdens even though I never worked for you. I knew Michael, Sheila,Richard and their Dad.  My Dad was quite pally with "Old Man Marsden".  Quite a character. By coincidence we have chums in Leeds who know Richard.  He remembers my dad Benny Butler but not me of course.  Its a long time ago and all my lot have passed away peacefully and I hope your family has fared well.  My question is that of old photos I can stick into my story.  All the stuff in the public domain is about the pub and although that played some part in my life it doesn't really fit with the research.

Can you help please

Steve  steve@butler.direct