Pictorial Sheffield

RichardB

Yellow Lion Hotel, Haymarket (around 1924)

Royal Hotel, Abbeydale Rd/London Road (1930's) *

Elephant Inn, Fitzalan Square/Norfolk Street (1960's)

* see next post

Guest Gramps

Yellow Lion Hotel, Haymarket (around 1924)

Royal Hotel, Abbeydale Rd/London Road (1930's)

Elephant Inn, Fitzalan Square/Norfolk Street (1960's)

I can't read the caption on that page but the building shown as the Royal Hotel isn't the one at Highfields - I think there was also a Royal Hotel in Waingate in the 1930s ??

I can't read the caption on that page but the building shown as the Royal Hotel isn't the one at Highfields - I think there was also a Royal Hotel in Waingate in the 1930s ??

Outch ... !

I had better move the image that I have added to the P&WMC Royal at Highfields then.

Well spotted Gramps.

Royal Hotel, Waingate (left), Exchange Street (right) on picturesheffield

Guest Gramps

Well - I'm too young to have supped in the one on Waingate, but I did use the other one quite often when I were a lad ;-)

Thank you, nicely spotted. I was away limping around Beamish yesterday so I didn't spot it.

Guest Gramps

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/i...ost&p=47038

The top picture in that page is interesting as it records the dereliction of the site that had been allowed to perist for more than ten years. It seems to be a 'blown-up' crop of this photo on Picture Sheffield and was probably taken to record the site shortly before work began on building the new Town Hall.

There seems to have been a fair bit of bickering between the Town Trust and the Council over street improvements in the area, but the upshot was that two new streets were built; an extension of Surrey street from Norfolk street to Pinstone street and a new street from the top of Fargate to the junction of Bow street and Church street to be called Leopold street. About the same time (1876) Pinstone street was re-modelled and widened. This involved the demolition of quite a few properties including the western side of Cheney Square and numerous buildings between the end of New Church street and Fargate - and of course all the buildings removed to build Surrey street.

Leopold street with its fine new buildings was officially opened by Prince Leopold in 1880 but the sad prospect on the other side of 'Town Hall Square' remained for ten more years. The council bought the land required for the new Town Hall in 1886 but construction did not begin until after 1890.

There are a couple more pictures of the scene on Picture Sheffield, —one a rather quaint cartoon.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/zo...jpgh/s18730.jpg

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=s19982

1850 plan before the changes.

Thank you Gramps, you seem to be the only person to have caught onto the idea of responding to our efforts.

The idea being of course for people to respond/contribute.

Still we plod on regardless.

Possibilities :

My Mother used to say ...

My Uncle Fred was once ...

When the pickle factory exploded we ...

When I was at School the Vicar ... (well maybe not)

Following the application of the blue uction, the swelling reduced but ....

Once the fire on Uncle Bill's "Hitler" moustache was extinguished we managed to stop laughing by the following Thursday ...

Once the swelling reduced the Mother Superior was able once again ...

here is a picture of ....

In 1946 (August) I was once again able to purchase avacado, whelks and custard ... a combination I can't stand to this day ...

Come on folks, chip in, please ...

Super work Gramps, real history ... Thank you.