How long would it take to get to London in the 18th century?

Guest purplejumper

Guest purplejumper

Here's a question maybe somebody could help me answer.

Using stage coaches, how long would it take me to get from Sheffield to London in around 1750? What route would the stage coach take and where would it stop?

Anyone got a stage coach timetable???

Using stage coaches, how long would it take me to get from Sheffield to London in around 1750? What route would the stage coach take and where would it stop?

I remember reading that the first stage coach service to London was introduced in about 1761 so if you can find reference to that your question should be answered!

I remember reading that the first stage coach service to London was introduced in about 1761 so if you can find reference to that your question should be answered!

Try looking into Sam Peach and the Angel on Angel Street; trade directories often have travel information/distances/times/stopping places etc - no directories that early; but a 1797 would give some kind of indication.

I'm guessing - 3 days ... anyone else going to have a guess ?

Came across this on the net - reference 1805 - even makes Midland Mainline look speedy!

"This, too, was the age of increased competition,

when a continuous smartening-up alone kept

some of the old-stagers going. Thus, in 1805,

when three coaches left London every day for

Sheffield, the quickest took over thirty hours. In

1821 it left the "Angel," Angel Street, St. Martin's-

le-Grand, at 3.30 p.m., and arrived at Sheffield at

8 the next evening, — 163J miles in 28^ hours, or

at the rate of 5f miles an hour, including stops.

In 1821 it started an hour later and arrived at the

same hour as before ; and in 1827 was expedited

by another half-hour. That was very poor

travelling, and it is not surprising that after 1827

it is heard of no more. More strenuous rivals

usurped the route. "

Carriers 1797

A waggon every Monday morning through Mansfield, Loughboro', Leicester and Northampton; arrives at London on Saturday mornings. Please note, this is Carriers.

Coaches 1797

London - From the Angel Inn, the Mail Coach, every morning about 3 o'clock, through Chesterfield, Nottingham, Leicester, Northampton &c. arrives at the Bull and Mouth Inn, London at 6 o'clock every morning. Returns every evening about 9 o'clock.

The Heavy Coach, every morning at 4 o'clock through Chesterfield, Nottingham, Leicester &c. arrives at the Bull and Mouth Inn. Returns every evening about 8 o'clock

Drawing of window in Angel Hotel, destroyed 1941, depicting the first Mail Coach, known as the 'Flying Machine on Steel Springs' which began running between Sheffield and London in May 1760. The officer seated next to the coachman is Col. Athorpe.

That should help thingies along having a name for the beast and a blokies name.

Picture

Guest skeets

according to the writings of one of my ancestors in the mid1800's it took 2 days and 1 night so l would say it took at least 3 days Skeets