Historic executions

RichardB

Here's an example of the collection. Famous Sheffield murderer:

Ancestry seem to be asking me for more money ... :(

Wonder if my great great grandfather is in it

Robert West, executed at Armley Jail, Leeds on 31 December 1889 for the murder of his wife, Emma Sketchley, at Handsworth Feast (fair), Sheffield, the previous August.

Just coming up on the 120th anniversary of this then.

Guest Jeremy

Wonder if my great great grandfather is in it

Robert West, executed at Armley Jail, Leeds on 31 December 1889 for the murder of his wife, Emma Sketchley, at Handsworth Feast (fair), Sheffield, the previous August.

Just coming up on the 120th anniversary of this then.

Is this him? (line 24):

Is this him? (line 24):

Regarding line 25, I used to be into beastiality, necrophilia and flaggelation but eventually I worked out I was just flogging a dead horse ...

probably.

Is this him? (line 24):

Thanks Jeremy, that's the very one.

His story has a full chapter in the book "The Sheffield Murders" by David Bentley, but I have never seen a legal document like this before which is essentially the document which passes a sentence of death by hanging on him, note the tick and the "to be hanged" uin the appropriate column.

Once again thanks to Jeremy for taking the trouble to find that one for me.

Regarding line 25, I used to be into beastiality, necrophilia and flaggelation but eventually I worked out I was just flogging a dead horse ...

probably.

Fortunately you are flogging a dead horse Richard, my relation is on line 24 and not line 25.

Or is it fortunately, my relative was guilty of murder and hung for it, the guy accused of beastiality was cleared and let off! :o