Maps of the Lodge Moor Area

hilldweller

Can anyone tell me where on the Sheffield History site I might find maps of the Lodge Moor area. I am particularly interested in maps of the now built-up area prior to the 1950's. As you can guess I'm a newcomer and not yet adept at navigating my way around the site.

Thanks in anticipation.

Can anyone tell me where on the Sheffield History site I might find maps of the Lodge Moor area. I am particularly interested in maps of the now built-up area prior to the 1950's. As you can guess I'm a newcomer and not yet adept at navigating my way around the site.

Thanks in anticipation.

Welcome to the forum!

You could start Here . Unfortunately the main coverage, the 1950's OS series doesn't go as far as Lodge Moor. Most of the others being much earlier are of the town, and similarly don't go that far.

How far back do you want to go? There's a map of the area including Lodge Moor in 1637 which isn't listed. Would that be of any use?

Thanks in anticipation.

Fear not Hilldweller, I actually own the 1950's maps and I can never find anything; however always a grown-up here willing to help.

Welcome to the Site.

From a 1926 Map, Lodge Moor Hospital is as far west as it shows.

Thanks in anticipation.

If jmdee's map covers the area you want, then there's a cassini map of Sheffield and Rotherham which has on a single sheet 4 maps of the area, all to the same scale, and all centred on the city centre, dated 1840, 1903, 1923/4 and present day. I got my copy from the shop at the Botanical Gardens, but the bookshops should have them. If not have a look at their website

Guest Gramps

Welcome to the forum hilldweller, here's map of the Lodge Moor area in 1855, - the hospiital was built on Lodge Moor plantation. I can give you greater magnification for a smaller area if there is some specific detail you're interested in.

Interesting to note that 'Hell Hole' was on the map long before the golf course made an appearance he he

Welcome to the forum hilldweller, here's map of the Lodge Moor area in 1855, - the hospiital was built on Lodge Moor plantation. I can give you greater magnification for a smaller area if there is some specific detail you're interested in.

Interesting to note that 'Hell Hole' was on the map long before the golf course made an appearance he he

Thanks for the reply, the area I'm interested in lies between Blackbrook Road and Crimicar Lane. In particular the position of one of the marked wells.

The map is terrific but if anyone has a larger scale or more recent map (before circa 1960) that would be even better.

Regards,

Hilldweller

P.S. Perhaps the Hell-hole was a natural pot-hole uncovered by the quarrying and leading down to HELL ???

I don't have a map but do have a picture of the area you are interested in taken early 1960s from Blackbrook Rd towards Crimicar Lane.

Guest Gramps

Well, well,well - lots of wells. Note that Blackbrook Road was Bole Hill lane in 1850.

Have you found an old well in the garden ??

Well, well,well - lots of wells. Note that Blackbrook Road was Bole Hill lane in 1850.

Have you found an old well in the garden ??

Not as such, although the remnants of one are located in a neighbours garden. However the house is built in an area with a very high water-table and the under-house void floor exudes water at all times of the year. Happily it all drains away again and no harm to the structure results. The gardens are crossed by old stone land-drains and I guess that some-one lower down gets the benefit. Old maps with my deeds show the entire area as the place where the Blackbrook rises.

I don't have a map but do have a picture of the area you are interested in taken early 1960s from Blackbrook Rd towards Crimicar Lane.

Thanks for the picture, I think it may be a little earlier as the estate was started in about 1960 according to my deeds.

Guest Gramps

Not as such, although the remnants of one are located in a neighbours garden. However the house is built in an area with a very high water-table and the under-house void floor exudes water at all times of the year. Happily it all drains away again and no harm to the structure results. The gardens are crossed by old stone land-drains and I guess that some-one lower down gets the benefit. Old maps with my deeds show the entire area as the place where the Blackbrook rises.

If you look at the Google contour/satellite combo map you can see the little clough pointing back to Peterborough road, and you can also see the dip in the field in Mike's photo with the brook diving under the high wall bordering Redmires road.

It will all have been levelled out by the developers.

I'm still intrigued about the 'Hell Hole' a little further down the road - any ideas....anyone ??

Hell Hole and similar names were given to pieces of rough ground that were no use for cultivation or grazing. There's a similar area in the Porter valley called Hell Bank. The names I think are both in the 1637 survey.

Thanks for the picture, I think it may be a little earlier as the estate was started in about 1960 according to my deeds.
It could in all honesty have been taken in 1959 when my parents bought the house on Blackbrook Rd, although I was born in that house in 1962 and can remember at an early age looking out over that field to watch for my dad returning home on the bus, so I suspect it was still a field into the mid 60s.

The raised bit of road in the picture is indeed where the Blackbrook flowed under Redmires Rd and was back filled around the time the shops were built. It's the grass area and car park in front of the shops now. I can also remember going down to see the flooding in that area after it was built, there were a few houses that got a bit sodden just before you get to the shops on Rochester Rd. I think the developers didn't think about drainage in those days and there was a lot of work to correct it.

I don't know if it's still there but the only remaining bit of the Blackbrook ran down the side of Lodge Moor Rd before disappearing under Blackbrook Rd. It looks like the developers used the course of the brook to lay out Rochester Rd as it flowed towards Redmires Rd.

I'm still intrigued about the 'Hell Hole' a little further down the road - any ideas....anyone ??

Now that 'Hell Hole' has been explained, I'm interested in the location of the Barncliffe Stoop. On this map it is shown about 100yards east of where it is now beside the bus stop at Hallam Head??? On the map it is at the start of the track leading down to Hell Hole, which is now opposite the footpath down to the school. The layout of the road where the track starts is still in place and is now the site of a phone mast. I wonder if anyone knew that when the phone company applied for permission?

Now that 'Hell Hole' has been explained, I'm interested in the location of the Barncliffe Stoop. On this map it is shown about 100yards east of where it is now beside the bus stop at Hallam Head??? On the map it is at the start of the track leading down to Hell Hole, which is now opposite the footpath down to the school. The layout of the road where the track starts is still in place and is now the site of a phone mast. I wonder if anyone knew that when the phone company applied for permission?

I know the carved capping stone to the stoop went missing for some years, before being resolved and 'replaced'. Perhaps the stoop was moved at the time of the restoration, though I heard a talk by the person behind the hunt for the stone and the restoration and there was no mention of it being moved. The City Museum was involved in the restoration, perhaps they might know?

Alternatively, in the same talk it was pointed out that there's a similar stone by the roadside where Hallam School entrance is. Perhaps there's been some confusion between the two?

Guest Gramps

But it hasn't been explained, a possible meaning has been offered yet the book Bayleaf has quoted in the past in similar circumstances has this for 'Hell Hole'..."a dark haunted nook; a den of infamy". ;-)

In Harrison's survey the road there is called the Barrencliffe Highway, rather than Barncliffe. So we have here a deep narrow, defile bounded on one side by a near vertical cliff which being north facing would see very little if any sunshine. I'm inclined towards the 'dark haunted nook' which, in the medieval mind, would naturally be associated with a 'den of infamy'. The kind of place one would expect Boggarts to dwell on a bleak and lonely road across the moors.

As to the relocation of the stoop, - it will be the council highways department wot done it. lol

It could in all honesty have been taken in 1959 when my parents bought the house on Blackbrook Rd, although I was born in that house in 1962 and can remember at an early age looking out over that field to watch for my dad returning home on the bus, so I suspect it was still a field into the mid 60s.

The raised bit of road in the picture is indeed where the Blackbrook flowed under Redmires Rd and was back filled around the time the shops were built. It's the grass area and car park in front of the shops now. I can also remember going down to see the flooding in that area after it was built, there were a few houses that got a bit sodden just before you get to the shops on Rochester Rd. I think the developers didn't think about drainage in those days and there was a lot of work to correct it.

I don't know if it's still there but the only remaining bit of the Blackbrook ran down the side of Lodge Moor Rd before disappearing under Blackbrook Rd. It looks like the developers used the course of the brook to lay out Rochester Rd as it flowed towards Redmires Rd.

According to my deeds the developers had the little sewage pump-house built in the dip of Rochester Rd and the estate sewage drains to this. The surface water from most of the estate goes into the Blackbrook. The rising main output of the pumping station goes back along Rochester Road, past the site of the original little pump-house on the corner of Blackbrook Rd and up Blackbrook Rd to join the trunk-sewer which runs across the playing field. The exception to this is a large part of Peterborough Rd which has combined (sewage & surface water) drainage direct into the trunk-sewer. I hope the Hallam Cricket Club know about the sewer because my plans show man-holes right where the cricket square will be situated ! That might cause a few bouncers in front of the wicket. For those not in the know HCC have leased the ground as a second venue and are carrying out improvement work this summer ready for next season.

'Hell Hole'..."a dark haunted nook; a den of infamy". ;-)

And you say Lodge Moor already had this reputation in the 17th Century? :o lol