Toy & Hobby shops

GrinderBloke

Whilst we all remember Redgates, what other toy and hoppy shops do you remember?

MG Sharp model railways - Attercliffe Road

The toy shop in Castle Market which later moved up on to The Gallery - when in Castle Market they had a glass display case for Britons, Corgi & Dinky models droool When they moved up to The Gallery (on the Woolworths side) they moved toward RC controlled stuff such as Tamiya.

The toy shop on the bottom of the ramp into Castle Market on Waingate

The hobby shop (may have been called "Hobbies") Shalesmoor concentrated on RC control models

Marcway Models had two shops the original one on Attercliffe Rd, not far from Burtons. And another shop on Fiztwillian St. ?? At the bottom of the moor Mixture of RC model and railways here.

I remember another shop selling mainly RC stuff at the bottom of London Road, but cannot recall the name

Beetties need I say more? Appart from spell the name right ;)

I remember going to the one on london road it was near boat world we walked up there from near co-op at about 10ish years old i thought we had walked to another town i had no idea where i was,but think one on attercliffe road is still there today the one that sells trains etc

"Kenyons" on Bellhouse Road , Firth Park was our local one. What a great place. Remeber getting my Corgi, James Bond Aston Martin (still got it)as well as all my Subbuteo stuff.

Whilst we all remember Redgates, what other toy and hoppy shops do you remember?

The toy shop on the bottom of the ramp into Castle Market on Waingate

The hobby shop (may have been called "Hobbies") Shalesmoor concentrated on RC control models

The Model Shop on the walk at the side of the Peace gardens - not a toy shop - a real serious modellers shop like the one on Shalesmoor

The toy shop at the bottom of the ramp - spent many an hour there before Christmas gazing at the 'big' toys dreaming I may get one one day - it came true one Christmas - I got a Johhny Seven OMA! - wish I had it now - I could be a rich man - good ones are going for hundreds on Ebay

The Model Shop on the walk at the side of teh Peace gardens - not a toy shop - a real serious modllers shop like teh one on Shalesmoor

The toy shop at teh bootm of the ramp - spent many an hour there before Christmas gazing at the 'big' toys dreaming I may get one one day - it came true one Christmas - I got a Johhny Seven OMA! - wish I had it now - I could be a rich man - good ones are going for hundreds on Ebay

I had one of those too, I bet you also woreTuf "Pathfinder" shoes with the animal tracks on the sole and the compass in the heel :P

The shop by the Peace Gardens - the walkway it was on was called St Paul's Parade - was called 'Hobbies'.

As a small boy I would spend hours looking in the window at model planes, boats and cars of various shapes and sizes - all of them things that dreams were made of!

Inside the smells of glue and especially balsa wood were fantastic - the balsa wood being stored in a frame well within the reach of small hands to touch and easily pick up despite it's size (just what did anyone make from a plank of 3 x 2 balsa I wonder)!

PS: No trip to St Paul's Parade was complete without a climb along the wall which contained 'Sheffield's official measures' - I believe my record for climbing a chain length may still stand!

PS: No trip to St Paul's Parade was complete without a climb along the wall which contained 'Sheffield's official measures' - I believe my record for climbing a chain length may still stand!

You're not wrong - a true Sheffield treasure - that wall was fantastic for kids

The measures are still in place - well not exactly in the same place - they have been moved to the other side of the Peace Gardens, alongside the Town Hall.

Well worth a look for old memories sake!

Guest wisewoodowl

"Kenyons" on Bellhouse Road , Firth Park was our local one. What a great place. Remeber getting my Corgi, James Bond Aston Martin (still got it)as well as all my Subbuteo stuff.

I used to go to Kenyons, at lunchtime from school in the late sixties, for Subbuteo.

There used to be a toyshop in Fitzalan Square, Wilson and Gumbet's?? something like that <_<

I used to go to Kenyons, at lunchtime from school in the late sixties, for Subbuteo.

There used to be a toyshop in Fitzalan Square, Wilson and Gumbet's?? something like that <_<

So what school did you attend to be able to get to Kenyons??

Wilson Gumpert

Also part of Redgates. Walking round the side of the last Redgates site brought you past the loading dock, and there on the side were the brass plaques showing the registered businesses. Wilson Gumpert was one.

I wonder what the company name of Redgates was? "Redgates" or similar doesn't appear in Companies House records.

Wilson Gumpert was dissolved in 1990 apparently, according to Companies House and they should know ;)

Guest wisewoodowl

Me too mate I left in 1972 at 16 what about you?

You would have ben in the year above me, I left in 1973 at 16. I was in the year that were the last ones to sit the 11+. My first year was Firth Park Grammar, it became a comp after that.