Sheffield City Hall

Sheffield History

Screenshot 2020-04-09 at 09.44.57.jpg

The little mentioned Memorial Hall situated at the back of Sheffield City Hall

Screenshot 2020-04-09 at 09.50.43.jpg

The front of Sheffield City Hall in the 1960's showing taxis sat waiting outside opposite Cole Brothers department store.
In the distance you can see the Gaumont Theatre and Sheffield Town Hall

Screenshot 2020-04-09 at 09.52.24.jpg

The front and side of Sheffield City Hall.

This must have been from when the City Hall was first opened. Also check the car on the extreme left of the photograph, and also the hotel on the extreme right hand side of the photo.

Screenshot 2020-04-09 at 09.57.41.jpg

Photograph of Sheffield City Hall and Barkers Pool but can you name the year? 

Would it be mid 1960's?

Prime live venue for so long.

First time I managed to get my raggedy teenage ass for a bona fide rock gig there was on 15th October 1969 to see - in this order - Terry Reid, Savoy Brown and Jethro Tull who we met backstage and later in the lobby of the Grand Hotel ,which stood right across from the artists entrance to the City Hall back then. Hey, don't get me wrong we were just fans looking for autographs and some quality time with our heroes.....

Saw countless bands there over the years - Led Zeppelin in 1970 and 1973, The Nice in 1970 and then ELP later the same year and 1971; Genesis with Peter Gabriel every tour Charisma put out (with Lindisfarne and Rab Noakes), Tony Williams' Lifetime with none other than Jack Bruce (never saw a bass-player who came anywhere near close to him), Jon McLaughlin on guitar (what a player) and Yusef Lateef on keys. Tony Wiliams introduced himself as 'just a freak from New York' - I was in another world for the duration, and I was only 15. Canned Heat two years running and meeting Bob Hite and 'Fito' de la Parra and then roadie-ing for them after the show before heading up to Uni for another gig. What days they were.

The Byrds in '71 with Rita Coolidge as support, and who should come ambling out on the stage to sing with her but Sheffield Steel himself, Joe Cocker!

Fifty-one years of gigging later and it still occupies a big place in my history.

On 09/04/2020 at 09:58, Sheffield History said:

Would it be mid 1960's?

On 09/04/2020 at 09:58, Sheffield History said:

Would it be mid 1960's?

Think this may be mid 70's as The Grand Hotel has gone - demolished in 1973 - and the Fountain Precinct and new office block are in place.

• Like 1

Think this may be mid 70's as The Grand Hotel has gone - demolished in 1973 - and the Fountain Precinct and new office block are in place. If that Beetle parked outside is a 1303S (and I'm not sure it is) then this would have to be later than 1973 when they were launched over here.