Diamonds in brown paper

Mrs Elizabeth Knight, German silver buffer, 100 West Street

and Mrs Mary Ann Martin same details, both 1911.

Mrs Mary Ann Martin also same in 1905.

Perfect, I'd read someone had identified one of them, nice to have a relative and a SheffieldHistoryier too.

The one on the right.

Kathie Green 24 Gray Street Pitsmoor.

Before she became my Mum..

I know this was entered a few years ago but was just looking up information on buffer girls to help with writing up my family history. Found the title of the book (will try and get a copy) but was amazed at the youtube film - thank you very much for putting this item on the forum. I found it very informative and just hope I can do my great grand, great great gran and all their sisters justice when I write about them.

Dorothy

Just realised you were putting names and photos of buffer girls on the site - however I do not have photos of them in their working 'gear' - so how do I enter a photo?

Just realised you were putting names and photos of buffer girls on the site - however I do not have photos of them in their working 'gear' - so how do I enter a photo?

To upload a photo.

In the reply box, click on More Reply Options then Choose Files, select the file (photo) saved on your computer, and Add to Post.

Thanks for that - here they are then.

One is my great grand parents, Hannah nee Smith was a spoon buffer - the family said she was a cabinet case liner but I have found no proof of this, her older sister was though, whilst the other sisters were spoon buffers.

My great great Grandmother Mary Ann nee HALL was a 'German Silver buffer' or 'spoon buffer' depending on the census. She lived at Jericho Street, whilst Hannah lived in Trafalgar Street. Hannah lost three of her babies whilst in Sheffield, two boys at 9 months old and a daughter at 4 years. My grandmother was the eldest surviving child. When her younger brother was born they moved out to Apperknowle and Hannah's husband Thomas would walk to Sheffield from there. They had more children but also lost a boy at 12 years of age. Thomas died at 47 years of age leaving Hannah to bring up the 5 remaining children. She died in 1940.

Hannah and Thomas's photo is an engagement photo not a wedding photo.

Thanks

Dorothy

Rather than just a link to part one of this film I thought it would be better to embed the film on here. It is in five parts, presumably because of the length restrictions which used to apply on Youtube.