Well done the City Council

Bayleaf

Sheffield Parks used to be gems, but under pressure of budget cuts, they became neglected, and most of the fabulous flower beds were turfed over.

For several years I've been going to the RHS show at Tatton, where they have a section of floral planting displays by councils. Unfortunately Sheffield has been conspicuous by its absence. I went to this year's show yesterday, and lo and behold, a display by Sheffield Parks! Not only that but they were awarded a Silver Gilt award, just short of a gold!

Pretty good going for a first time attempt, so well done Sheffield Council, and particularly well done to the gardeners concerned, who having mounted the display, were on hand chatting to the public and raising the city's profile.

The picture doesn't really do it justice I'm afraid!

Sheffield Parks used to be gems, but under pressure of budget cuts, they became neglected, and most of the fabulous flower beds were turfed over.

For several years I've been going to the RHS show at Tatton, where they have a section of floral planting displays by councils. Unfortunately Sheffield has been conspicuous by its absence. I went to this year's show yesterday, and lo and behold, a display by Sheffield Parks! Not only that but they were awarded a Silver Gilt award, just short of a gold!

Pretty good going for a first time attempt, so well done Sheffield Council, and particularly well done to the gardeners concerned, who having mounted the display, were on hand chatting to the public and raising the city's profile.

The picture doesn't rally do it justice I'm afraid!

We seem to do quite well in the annual "Britain in Bloom" contest at a national level thanks to the efforts of the council.

The displays for this are throughout the City and does NOT just consist of the floral grinder and buffer girl which are outside the town hall so it clearly takes a fair bit of effort for this to be achieved.

I think the council does a good job on this and gives it some priority because people who have never visited Sheffield often still imagine it to be a dirty, grimey industrial place and they are keen to emphasise the City's clean and "green" look in its parks and gardens.

We seem to do quite well in the annual "Britain in Bloom" contest at a national level thanks to the efforts of the council.

The displays for this are throughout the City and does NOT just consist of the floral grinder and buffer girl which are outside the town hall so it clearly takes a fair bit of effort for this to be achieved.

I think the council does a good job on this and gives it some priority because people who have never visited Sheffield often still imagine it to be a dirty, grimey industrial place and they are keen to emphasise the City's clean and "green" look in its parks and gardens.

Apparently it was one of the judges of the Britain in Bloom that suggested Sheffield ought to exhibit at Tatton, after seeing the figures and displays outside the Town hall.

Apparently it was one of the judges of the Britain in Bloom that suggested Sheffield ought to exhibit at Tatton, after seeing the figures and displays outside the Town hall.

Well, the displays outside the town hall have been excellent in recent years, and although the 2 figures are regular expected features to us locals they are always well presented (from a floral display point of view) and they do represent the past industry of the city as well. I am sure they give a good impression of our city to any visitors.

Well, the displays outside the town hall have been excellent in recent years, and although the 2 figures are regular expected features to us locals they are always well presented (from a floral display point of view) and they do represent the past industry of the city as well. I am sure they give a good impression of our city to any visitors.

Although not currently at their floral best here are the 2 figures "Sheffy Stan" and "Buffer Girl Mary" (Mary Dyson) taken today at their location outside the town hall

Although not currently at their floral best here are the 2 figures "Sheffy Stan" and "Buffer Girl Mary" (Mary Dyson) taken today at their location outside the town hall

Then of course there is always the Botanical Gardens.

These are well maintained in recent years and have some excellent floral displays as do many of our parks.

Got to congratulate the Council Parks & Recreation Dept. on the job they have done so far.

Then of course there is always the Botanical Gardens.

These are well maintained in recent years and have some excellent floral displays as do many of our parks.

Got to congratulate the Council Parks & Recreation Dept. on the job they have done so far.

A nice display in Hollinsend Park on the driveway from Ridgeway Road down to the bowling greens

We usually get an excellent display here as one of the Council parks and recreation departments is on this site.

For details see my other thread on Hollinsend Park.

Hollinsend Recreation Ground

I understand the display from Tatton is going to be redone in Weston Park.

Last time I went into Weston Park, just over a year ago now, it was undergoing a major bit of renovation work, and having completed work on the museum they were making a start on the outside, the park and gardens themselves.

I am sure that now this work is completed it will be an ideal and easily accessible park location to represent to the people of Sheffield the display work done for the Tatton Show.

Guest skeets

Last time I went into Weston Park, just over a year ago now, it was undergoing a major bit of renovation work, and having completed work on the museum they were making a start on the outside, the park and gardens themselves.

I am sure that now this work is completed it will be an ideal and easily accessible park location to represent to the people of Sheffield the display work done for the Tatton Show.

A great show all round the city, something for the council to crow about[ on the acheing backs of a few dedicated teams of gardeners l might add]

Guest skeets

A great show all round the city, something for the council to crow about[ on the acheing backs of a few dedicated teams of gardeners l might add]