Health and Safety and the Town Stocks.

Guest tsavo

Guest tsavo

From The records of the burgery of Sheffield, commonly called the town trust (1897)

Link: http://www.archive.org/details/recordsburgerys00enggoog

Was this the first time Sheffield had set up a pillory ? A story is told

in "Chambers' Book of Days/* v. i, p. 832. of a man in Queen Elizabeth's

reign who was condemned to undergo the punishment of the pillory.

While doing so the platform on which he stood gave way and left him

hanging by the neck in danger of his life. On release he brought an action

against the tovm for the insufficiency of its pillory, and recovered damages.

The burgesses of Sheffield may have taken the hmt, and got a new one.

Today the stocks would be banned due to an infringement of Human Rights, but at least we know the 'sue' mentality is not such a new thing!

From The records of the burgery of Sheffield, commonly called the town trust (1897)

Link: http://www.archive.org/details/recordsburgerys00enggoog

Was this the first time Sheffield had set up a pillory ? A story is told

in "Chambers' Book of Days/* v. i, p. 832. of a man in Queen Elizabeth's

reign who was condemned to undergo the punishment of the pillory.

While doing so the platform on which he stood gave way and left him

hanging by the neck in danger of his life. On release he brought an action

against the tovm for the insufficiency of its pillory, and recovered damages.

The burgesses of Sheffield may have taken the hmt, and got a new one.

Today the stocks would be banned due to an infringement of Human Rights, but at least we know the 'sue' mentality is not such a new thing!

Is tihis available to download please ? Tsavo ? Jeremy ? I'm bidding on this on eBay currently, could do with saving the cash for furtive transactions with overly-friendly Columbians ... probably ...

Speaking of Health & Safety and the Law - is it currently illegal to put the wifelette in a ducking stool as a witch ?

Guest tsavo

Is tihis available to download please ? Tsavo ? Jeremy ? I'm bidding on this on eBay currently, could do with saving the cash for furtive transactions with overly-friendly Columbians ... probably ...

Yes available here: http://www.archive.org/details/recordsburgerys00enggoog

Assume you were refering to "Records of the Burgery" and not the "Book of Days".

Guest tsavo

Speaking of Health & Safety and the Law - is it currently illegal to put the wifelette in a ducking stool as a witch ?

Only if she first changes you into a frog! (She might think that is an improvement!)

Guest Gramps

Yes available here: http://www.archive.org/details/recordsburgerys00enggoog

Assume you were refering to "Records of the Burgery" and not the "Book of Days".

If you click on the Google pdf link you may not find a download link. But if you click on the 'All Files HTTP' link on the left and then on the page that opens click on the ' recordsburgerys00enggoog.pdf' you should be presented with the download dialog.

If you click on the Google pdf link you may not find a download link. But if you click on the 'All Files HTTP' link on the left and then on the page that opens click on the ' recordsburgerys00enggoog.pdf' you should be presented with the download dialog.

This method has been mentioned before; and successfully forgotten by me, I can't even claim old age - just left with a plead of advanced stupidity.

Many Thanks for the reminder.

Thanks in advance for next time I forget, or did I already say that ? lol

Got it - Thank you. Useful for Dunsbyowl on his return ...