Old sweets and chocolates - your favourites ??

Sheffield History

You can still buy most of these old sweets too !!

Click the links and have a look:

SHERBAT DIB DABS,FLYING SAUCERS,SWIZZLES.SPANGLES,Don't forget our FRUIT GUMS mum,LUCKY BAGS.McCOWANS TOFFEE BARS(strawberry splits/chocolate splits ect),GOB STOPPERS,FRIUT SALADS,BLACK JACKS,LOVE HEARTS,PALMA VIOLETS,COUGH CANDY,CINDER TOFFEE,MARRY ME QUICK,BARLEY SUGAR STICKS, JUICY FRUITS, PEPPERMINT CRACKNEL.UNCLE JOES MINT BALLS, RAINBOW DROPS,FOAM SHRIMPS/BANANAS, CHERRY LIPS AND CARAMAC JUST TO SET BALL ROLLING. GET MY THINKIN CAP ON FOR OTHERS.

Real Spangles were good, not the poor imitation tried in the 1990s.

Cabana gets my vote as the most sickly sweet ever coconut, caramel & cherries! Don't think I ever finished on in a single session.

Had to add a comment i cant just sit back while people are avoiding the obvious:cherry lips,black jacks,wham bars,chocolate highland toffee then there was jaw breakers they were all winners n cant really remember life been good since i stopped eating any of the above now thats upsetting

not a reght big fan of liqourice but didnt they have summit in the middle,bringin back some good memories of when used to go to me grandparents after school and me grandad used to work at frank cobbs near where magic round about is now think it was on broad street but there was a shop across from there and think it might still be there what sold all traditional sweets and some reght good crisps what i am arguing at minute we me mother about what names were,but me grandad used to bring home a good selection

dont no weather picture will come out but its a picture of me grandad with the F.A Cup cos at cobbs they were asked to polish it,this is the one that was stolen but no connection i promise

Almond Islands, tested in South Yorkshire, in mid-70's, delicious, but deemed too expensive for the locals !

dont no weather picture will come out but its a picture of me grandad with the F.A Cup cos at cobbs they were asked to polish it,this is the one that was stolen but no connection i promise

Interesting picture there Phil - I bet that was a great job to do - and obviously the camera HAS to come out !

Yeah i had to take a picture of the old photo thats why quality isnt great but me grandad says alot of staff shouldnt have known it was there but news travels & they ended up we all staff comin in to have pictures taken with it to great annoyance of the manager,but me grandad was the one who did the work on it.

can never understand why managers get grumpy about that sort of thing - it's a great morale booster for staff !

were there any security requirements for the cup that you know of ?

Not what i know of believe it or not but will ask him the question,but maybe with it getting pinched etc thats why there over top with new one,but that was the days where coppers ruled britain just with the use of a whistle so i should imagine what gaffer said was taken notice of.

For some inexplicable reason, I have been thinking about Chocolate bars that are now gone.

Cadbury's saw fit a few years ago to get rid of certain lines and incorporate others into the 'Dairy Milk' branding.

Anyway... Here's a few to remember:

Fuse

Texan

Wispa

Secret

Almond Mars

Aztec

Amazin

Astro's

Coconut Boost

Cabana

Old Jamaica

Marabou Delite

Maverick

Orange Aero

Mint Pyramid

Tiffin

Triffic

Trio

Vise Versa

etc, etc...

I could eat all of these now...

Can you still get ruffle bars,spiras,frys mint cream(or summit i know thats a bit sketchy) & hellas bars & there used to be a bar where chocolate was latticed if i remember n was full of some strawberry cream kind of set up in a blue wrapper but not doin reght well on anymore of info on that,didnt really look at wrapper enough i just scoffed em instead of getting a proper dinner we dinner money :rolleyes:

For some inexplicable reason, I have been thinking about Chocolate bars that are now gone.

Cadbury's saw fit a few years ago to get rid of certain lines and incorporate others into the 'Dairy Milk' branding.

Anyway... Here's a few to remember:

Fuse

Texan

Wispa

Secret

Almond Mars

Aztec

Amazin

Astro's

Coconut Boost

Cabana

Old Jamaica

Marabou Delite

Maverick

Orange Aero

Mint Pyramid

Tiffin

Triffic

Trio

Vise Versa

etc, etc...

I could eat all of these now...

What about the "Five Boys" Chocolate bar?

I used to love "Spanish Galleon" sweet tobacco and getting a threepenny "Lucky bag" that would have a piece of licourice root in which was basicly a twig that you chewed on.

Guest carlie167

I used to love "Spanish Galleon" sweet tobacco and getting a threepenny "Lucky bag" that would have a piece of licourice root in which was basicly a twig that you chewed on.

Sweet tobacco, liquorice pipes and sweet cigarettes!!!!!! Cant imagine it now, be encouraging kids to smoke, or some such nonsense. Anyway I liked them

Can anyone remember Double Six, a two stick chocolate bar similar to a Kitkat? They seemed to disappear with the seventies. I recall them being sold in WMC's, i can't remember them being sold in general shops though i may be wrong.

Can anyone remember Double Six, a two stick chocolate bar similar to a Kitkat? They seemed to disappear with the seventies. I recall them being sold in WMC's, i can't remember them being sold in general shops though i may be wrong.

I remember these. The sticks were wider than Kit Kats, and to be honest I preffered the taste.

They were available in shops cus I lived in my nans corner shop when I was a kid and she always put a kit kat in my school packed lunch until the Double Sixes came out and I switched allegiance.