Fowlers Greystones Road

Guest Choirgirl

Guest Choirgirl

Does anyone remember Fowlers of Greystones Road? They were a wholesale warehouse for household linens, clothing and shoes. It was run by the Fowler brothers and on retiring two members of their staff decided to relocate to West Bar, but when?

On 7/20/2009 at 11:21, Choirgirl said:

Does anyone remember Fowlers of Greystones Road? They were a wholesale warehouse for household linens, clothing and shoes. It was run by the Fowler brothers and on retiring two members of their staff decided to relocate to West Bar, but when?

I do! My mum worked in the office in the 70s I can't quite remember when. 

The Linen dept at Fowlers was my next place of work after Atkinson's. Wanting a job nearer home, I was told Fowlers were looking for a linens junior. As it was the dept I was trained in, it was the perfect job. I was there early 1970s, the dept buyer was Mr Ford, he was small, a bit bossy, and had a little top lip moustache, which earned him the name of 'little Hitler'. The other senior sales was a lovely old chap Willis Haslam. He used to be a Traveller, but retired and came to work on the dept. He was full of fun and a real windup, used to play allsorts of tricks on the staff, It wasn't unusual for one of the ladies to be chasing him round the warehouse, trying to hit him with a shoe. All good fun!  Even the bosses put up with him, they usually just tutted and said " Willis is at it again ". Jim Green was the warehouse manager, he was based in the cash office by our dept, with a lovely lady cashier and book keeper Avril. When she left, the friend I'd worked with at Atkinson's, took her job for 18months, till just before she had her 1st baby.  I think the business moved late 70s early 80s, but it didn't last. Shame, they were lovely people to work with.

• Like 1

hi - willis Haslam was my grandpa!  so it is lovely hearing your story (i have only just joined this group)  i remember fowlers and him wrapping the clothes in brown paper, tied with string.  My dad used to travel with him sometimes and i obviously, remember him in his older days.  He used to have some funny sayings too!!!

On 12/11/2020 at 16:19, matt haslam said:

hi - willis Haslam was my grandpa!  so it is lovely hearing your story (i have only just joined this group)  i remember fowlers and him wrapping the clothes in brown paper, tied with string.  My dad used to travel with him sometimes and i obviously, remember him in his older days.  He used to have some funny sayings too!!!

Hi Matt, how lovely you found this. Yes, he was such fun to be around, so many good memories. He was a real kind man as well. He'd often give me a lift into work, and would talk about his 'Kath', we all thought what a great lady she must be, sadly I never met her. Their home life must have been 'interesting'.  How proud you must be he was your Grandpa.  Best wishes Heartshome.

Haha yes some great stories thank you for your reply.  I bet he gave you a lift in his beetle?  Always had a sweet tooth too!  How quickly time goes! Lovely to hear your stories thank you

22 hours ago, matt haslam said:

Haha yes some great stories thank you for your reply.  I bet he gave you a lift in his beetle?  Always had a sweet tooth too!  How quickly time goes! Lovely to hear your stories thank you

Hi matt, YES! it was a lift in his beloved 'BEETLE', his shiny, cream, pride and joy. Always remember the engines 'WHISTLE' noise. 

Your right about his sweet tooth, as he'd 'ALWAYS!' got loose sweets, or a small white paper bag of some in his pocket.  

If customers came in with children, they would always get given one.  Nice!

• Like 1