Work Houses

julie leach

re: Henry Cornelius Flory.

I've just found this forum via Google and have now joined Sheffield History.

My maiden name was FLORY and Henry Cornelius Flory who founded Myrtle Springs Boarding School was my Great great grandfather.

I have much information on this family (who were Dutch) if anyone is interested. Henry's wife was called Clasina (or Clazina) Clarissa.

Shelagh

Welcome to the Site Shelagh, hope you find plenty to read and discuss.

Of course we are interested; very interested.

My maiden name was FLORY and Henry Cornelius Flory who founded Myrtle Springs Boarding School was my Great great grandfather.

I have much information on this family (who were Dutch) if anyone is interested. Henry's wife was called Clasina (or Clazina) Clarissa.

Shelagh

Welcome to Sheffield History Shelagh

Glad you found this particular thread relevant and interesting, - I certainly do, although its the route of all those underground streams in the area which fascinates me.

Also we are glad to have a descendant of a local person of note and of course we would love to hear all about Cornelius's life in the area and his work at the school.

Guest Shelagh

Welcome to Sheffield History Shelagh

Glad you found this particular thread relevant and interesting, - I certainly do, although its the route of all those underground streams in the area which fascinates me.

Also we are glad to have a descendant of a local person of note and of course we would love to hear all about Cornelius's life in the area and his work at the school.

Thank you to you all for making me feel so welcome to the site. I'm very excited that there are other people interested in my ancestor, Henry Cornelius Flory and Myrtle Springs Boarding School.

I'm not sure if I can help out with those underground streams(!) but the family history is certainly interesting and I shall endeavour to post what I know in due course.

What a wonderful website for me to find ... I live in Cornwall so it's lovely for me to have some contact with Sheffield and fellow enthusiasts.

Shelagh

RichardB waves to Shelagh from the frozen North ...

As does Mad Annie...

As an exiled child of Gleadless I am following this thread with great interest. I knew nothing of Dr Flory's school until reading Pauline Shearstone's books on Gleadless, and it is brilliant to see history coming to life. Hats off (generally woolly ones up here) to all who have pieced it all together.

There seems to be more Sheffield History members living in far away places than actually live in the City :mellow:

So once again this must be a strength of our site, all those expatriate Sheffielders can now easily keep in touch with what is happening in their "home town" just by logging on. We seem to be getting a lot of pictures in threads like "recent developments" which are up to date and can keep members who do not get the chance to visit very abreast of what is going on.

There seems to be more Sheffield History members living in far away places than actually live in the City :mellow:

So once again this must be a strength of our site, all those expatriate Sheffielders can now easily keep in touch with what is happening in their "home town" just by logging on. We seem to be getting a lot of pictures in threads like "recent developments" which are up to date and can keep members who do not get the chance to visit very abreast of what is going on.

I can't speak for anyone else, but it is only since leaving Sheffield that my interest in the city has really taken off. This was initially apparent in a desire to visit museums and galleries I never bothered with when living there, and has since spread to many other aspects of the city and it's past. Perhaps only returning a couple of times a year heightens the perception of change, and with it a desire to know more about those things which are disappearing and have already disappeared. Being able to share knowledge, however trivial it might seem, and watch all the bits fall into place, as has happened in this thread, is truly fantastic.

My only regret (other than not being able to spend more time in Sheffield) is realising how much I did not notice in my younger days, when the city was so different. If only........ How many times have I said that in the six months since discovering Sheffield History.

I can't speak for anyone else, but it is only since leaving Sheffield that my interest in the city has really taken off. This was initially apparent in a desire to visit museums and galleries I never bothered with when living there, and has since spread to many other aspects of the city and it's past. Perhaps only returning a couple of times a year heightens the perception of change, and with it a desire to know more about those things which are disappearing and have already disappeared. Being able to share knowledge, however trivial it might seem, and watch all the bits fall into place, as has happened in this thread, is truly fantastic.

My only regret (other than not being able to spend more time in Sheffield) is realising how much I did not notice in my younger days, when the city was so different. If only........ How many times have I said that in the six months since discovering Sheffield History.

I'm glad that I was interested in photography when I was younger and took a fair few pictures of Sheffield locations in the 1970's and 80's.

Just wish I had taken more at the time as I love comparing them in the "then & now" style.

Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures of Myrtle Springs in the 1970's, at that time Toll Bar Road was just a short cut for me to get from my Arbourthorne home to Ashleigh school (Gleadless Road site, avoiding the mud and the pig sty), or a shortcut walking it to my grandparents on the Herdings.

The junction of Hurlfield Road with Arbourthorne Road (which is the main road which swings around to the right) and Toll Bar Road (a narrower road which continues straight on).

The unidentified buildings on SteveHB's labelled Google map would appear to be that row of 3 cottages in the left of centre of the picture.

Since this picture was taken just before I went on my holidays the road junction has already been altered, A give way and junction at the top of Arbourthorne Road, with Hurlfield Road now doing what it did originally as Hagg Lane, continuing on along Toll Bar Road into Myrtle Springs. At least this gets rid of a very nasty blind bend which many motorists went round far too fast without a thought of what could have been around the corner.

Note the altered junction of Arbourthorne Road and Hurlfield Road.

Now much safer

Note the altered junction of Arbourthorne Road and Hurlfield Road.

Now much safer

Those attachments don't seem to always show up as pictures in the quoted bit, just as an attachment link :angry:

So here we go again, not quite a then and now as the 2 pictures were only taken a few months apart

This is more of a works department "before and after" showing the modification to the road junction.

As well as being safer because traffic coming up Arbourthorne Road is required to give way at the junction rather than just tear around a blind bend it is also safer because traffic coming the other way along Hurlfield Road has to go over those speed bumps as they approach the junction.

Shelagh

Hi there Shelagh, I too have just found this forum via Google and, Henry Cornelius Flory was my great great grandfather too. Looks like we need to chat !

My dad has done a lot of research and I'll get him to check over this froum as he will be most interested.

Hi there Shelagh, I too have just found this forum via Google and, Henry Cornelius Flory was my great great grandfather too. Looks like we need to chat !

My dad has done a lot of research and I'll get him to check over this froum as he will be most interested.

Welcome to Sheffield History Peter.

Another Florrey relative!

I am amazed at how much information and related people have come out of this topic.

So far we have found the exact location, some of it excavated, of a long lost school of which we didn't originally know where it is.

now we have 3 relatives of the school principle in touch with each other as members of this site.

Isn't that just a fantastic achievement?

Welcome to Sheffield History Peter.

Another Florrey relative!

I am amazed at how much information and related people have come out of this topic.

So far we have found the exact location, some of it excavated, of a long lost school of which we didn't originally know where it is.

now we have 3 relatives of the school principle in touch with each other as members of this site.

Isn't that just a fantastic achievement?

Hi DaveH,

Yes, This is a really interesting topic and useful to the consolidation of our family information.

I might well post some other teaasers for the contributors to comment on once I have digested all the wealth of information that you all have gathered !

It just goes to show how history can so easilly be preserved in the brave new digital world.

Thanks everyone for a great job.

Please advise if we should start a new topic and build into a Myrtle Springs or similar topic

Thanks

Peter

Please advise if we should start a new topic and build into a Myrtle Springs or similar topic

Thanks

Peter

The family history of the Florrey family should really go in a new topic in the Sheffield Geneology section while the stuff about the school and myrtle springs belongs here.

However, different topics on the site with a common thread can be linked with a hyperlink (the icon to the right of the smileys when posting gives this capability) to jump between one and the other.

You can insert these links yourself, or a site administrator, affectionately known as "link fairies" will add them for you if prompted.

The family history of the Florrey family should really go in a new topic in the Sheffield Geneology section while the stuff about the school and myrtle springs belongs here.

However, different topics on the site with a common thread can be linked with a hyperlink (the icon to the right of the smileys when posting gives this capability) to jump between one and the other.

You can insert these links yourself, or a site administrator, affectionately known as "link fairies" will add them for you if prompted.

From this thread the school and myrtle springs seem to have been clearly identified. Great work !. Now I have a question for the locals there that the council weren't able to answer.

Why were the roads around Gleadless named FLEURY and not FLORY as presumably they were named because of the school history and Dr Flory ? It's baffled the family, but we have yet to find a reason!

Thanks

Peter

From this thread the school and myrtle springs seem to have been clearly identified. Great work !. Now I have a question for the locals there that the council weren't able to answer.

Why were the roads around Gleadless named FLEURY and not FLORY as presumably they were named because of the school history and Dr Flory ? It's baffled the family, but we have yet to find a reason!

Thanks

Peter

Were there alternative spellings of the surname or was it mis-spelt by an annumerator that just wrote down what he heard, - both common genealogical problems from the 19th century.

Or, more likely, was the name just spelt incorrectly by some town planning clerk down at the Town Hall when the the street was named.

Hurlfield Boys School was on East Bank Rd. at the junction with Northern Avenue

Hurlfield Girls School was at the top of Arbourthorne Rd. by Myrtle Springs Wood ( later renamed to Ashleigh School )

If you got to the top of Arbourthorne road and turned right int Myrtle Springs wood there was a path through to the Toll Bar Building at the junction with Gleadless Rd.

The quary was down hill towards Newfield Green

There was a farm at the entrance to Myrtle Springs from Arbourthorne Rd I think John Woodhead ( a shoolboy at Hurlfield ) lived there. and I remember just further in the wood down the track was a house where the Archers lived, they also owned the sports shop on Brammall Lane.

There were some allotments in the woods between the quary & the Toll Bar, one was owned by our neighbour Fred Oldfield