Work Houses

julie leach

I also had a lot off building work done here last year and dug up the old foundations of the cottages my house still uses the old victorian drains from those houses . would anyone be able to send me the links for the Dr Flory Cuttings so i could print them out in full ?

Jay

So the school was at the current site of No 3 Myrtle Springs.

Sounds very reasonable as we knew it was around there somewhere.

Thanks for sharing that with us Tollbar Jay and welcome to Sheffield History.

As you actually have some artifacts of the old school why not post us a few pictures of them in this thread?

As you actually have some artifacts of the old school why not post us a few pictures of them in this thread?

Its done it again !!!!!

7 minutes to upload a short a post and then it goes and duplicates itself

What the hell is going on tonight.

Guest Tollbar  Jay

No Dave the site is no longer at no 3 there is no nomber 3 thats what makes it complex my house is a tollbar address that has no 3 in its grounds ;-) it was the first house to be built on the tollbarr estate back in 72 from what i can gather built by the Nedham family of i think Gainsborough who i think owned all the land round here at the time ..i will post a picture of the keystone for you but its now very poor after looking at it tody fo the first time in 6 years its hard to make out what it says ..but i also have a good idea where the old Tollbar was to from looking at things on this estate

And thaks for the welcome B):) :) lol

Guest Tollbar  Jay

Also Dave my mates family live at hurlfield house You must have met him waiting to be let in and the foundations you speek off are old green houses

Guest Tollbar  Jay

The pictres are of the walls that i asume where the bording school as they are in my garden and are not on the same location as the picture in i think post 4 of the white 2 story house that is further down my garden and its that house that my drains are from

Guest Tollbar  Jay

The footpath through Myrtle Springs still exists.

But it now has a proper surface to walk on (not fjust mud and puddles) but is heavily fenced off from the new housing.

Dave H you where stud exactly where the white house was

Guest Tollbar  Jay

Sorry it was post 16

Right i have sorta sorted it now ( sorry i am not very good with typing) i have studied the maps the pictures everything now in my last picture look at the direction my modern drains run and look at the maps and pictures my drains run into lovly brown tiled drains and on the other side of my house thy run in to them to the picturees and maps show a row of house running towards gleadless road the wals in my dig up are defo not that way and whaen you look wertal springs lane has took a short cut over the years from a right angle to a radius so the building i dug up is not on any of those maps defo there is i tree that is still there the key stone is in my garden there is lots of dressed stone kicking about here so the chances of Dr Florys school being where i am exactly sat are quite high if any one is interested i calnt type that good but i would gladly let you see and have a firts hand look at my findings

Right i have sorta sorted it now ( sorry i am not very good with typing) i have studied the maps the pictures everything now in my last picture look at the direction my modern drains run and look at the maps and pictures my drains run into lovly brown tiled drains and on the other side of my house thy run in to them to the picturees and maps show a row of house running towards gleadless road the wals in my dig up are defo not that way and whaen you look wertal springs lane has took a short cut over the years from a right angle to a radius so the building i dug up is not on any of those maps defo there is i tree that is still there the key stone is in my garden there is lots of dressed stone kicking about here so the chances of Dr Florys school being where i am exactly sat are quite high if any one is interested i calnt type that good but i would gladly let you see and have a firts hand look at my findings

What a fantastic amount of information Tollbar Jay which seems yo answer all of the questions raised in this topic.

A great set of posts, very interesting. Keep up the good work.

Dave H you where stud exactly where the white house was

At the time I thought my little exploratory walk was fairly fruitless as I failed to find the evidence I was looking for and did not uncover the site of the old boarding school.

It turns out I was right on top of the very site lol

The pictres are of the walls that i asume where the bording school as they are in my garden and are not on the same location as the picture in i think post 4 of the white 2 story house that is further down my garden and its that house that my drains are from

The last picture here appears to be from the now gone (a sad loss to us) www.gleadless.net as it carries their watermark.

Have you seen mt other thread called "Those Gleadless Pictures, - NOT on Gleadless.net"?

This was my attempt to recreate something of the site by either "reclaiming" their images and reposting them on Sheffield History or at least providing a bit of an alternative by providing new pictures of the area. Fortunately I had an archive of my own pictures of the area from the early 1970's which I could use.

Strangely I had offered the use of my pictures to gleadless.net in 2004 but never got a reply back from the webmaster.

The link to this thread is

Those Gleadless Pictures, NOT on gleadless.net

Guest Tollbar  Jay

The last picture here appears to be from the now gone (a sad loss to us) www.gleadless.net as it carries their watermark.

Have you seen mt other thread called "Those Gleadless Pictures, - NOT on Gleadless.net"?

This was my attempt to recreate something of the site by either "reclaiming" their images and reposting them on Sheffield History or at least providing a bit of an alternative by providing new pictures of the area. Fortunately I had an archive of my own pictures of the area from the early 1970's which I could use.

Strangely I had offered the use of my pictures to gleadless.net in 2004 but never got a reply back from the webmaster.

The link to this thread is

Those Gleadless Pictures, NOT on gleadless.net

Thanks Dave Glad you are intersted as am i and your gleedless picures are fantastic :D you have some old maps in your links 1899 / 1948/ 1924 i have looked at thm very closely if i could get a 1970 / 1974/ 1976 i would be abe to map out the school area and posably pin point its exact location and do you know the date of the picture of the blokes walking towards the whit house on myrtal springs ?? cos that would hel to as there are a few land marks here still that are in that picture ??especial the beach tree and the gate post's ..i would be very interested if i could find out this info

Jay

Thanks Dave Glad you are intersted as am i and your gleedless picures are fantastic :D you have some old maps in your links 1899 / 1948/ 1924 i have looked at thm very closely if i could get a 1970 / 1974/ 1976 i would be abe to map out the school area and posably pin point its exact location and do you know the date of the picture of the blokes walking towards the whit house on myrtal springs ?? cos that would hel to as there are a few land marks here still that are in that picture ??especial the beach tree and the gate post's ..i would be very interested if i could find out this info

Jay

The maps from 1899 / 1948 / 1924 are old OS maps which I was able to "rescue" from gleadless.net.

There is 50 years copyright on OS maps (currently to 1959) and as they were out of this period I was able to repost them on SheffieldHistory.

We have a section of maps with OS maps from the 1950's up to that copyright date, and RichardB has a few more which can't go on the site yet because they are still in copyright (but will go on at a suitable date in the future).

We may have problems with scans of 1970's maps as these will definately be still in copyright.

As for dates of photo's and cuttings of the Myrtle School advertisments I can't help you there as I didn't post them. Best bet is let the person who posted the original get back in touch by replying to your posts, - or you could try asking them in a PM (perasonal message).

Excellent information. Thanks very much Dave and Tollbar Jay.

PictureSheffield states that the photo of the three men walking towards the white house was taken in the 1950s (unfortunately they never give the exact year)

For each of the newspaper cuttings that I posted I included the name of the newspaper and the date.

Jeremy

The frontage in this picture seems to tie in quite well with the outline plans in the 1850 and 1903 OS surveys.

The centre dwelling is perhaps the schoolmaster's house and those to either side used for classrooms, dormitories and servants quarters.

Are the two ponds still there ? If so they should give a useful reference point to the position of the old house/school.

The frontage in this picture seems to tie in quite well with the outline plans in the 1850 and 1903 OS surveys.

The centre dwelling is perhaps the schoolmaster's house and those to either side used for classrooms, dormitories and servants quarters.

Are the two ponds still there ? If so they should give a useful reference point to the position of the old house/school.

Both ponds are still there.

I found them both on my little "tour"

I have put pictures of them in posts #38 and #39 of this thread.

Interestingly they have built the houses around the ponds.

The smaller pond (post #39) forms a "gap" in a row of houses along the street

The large pond is very similar to a "village pond" in a small rural village, it looks very nice with its koi fish and decoy heron surrounded by modern private suburban housing.

All very pretty really, not quite what I expected find after walking out of the top of the Arbourthorne estate, quite a pleasant surprise.

1903 overlay onto 2008 aerial:

Overlaid map matches perfectly with my current day findings earlier in this thread.

Many thanks for doing this Jeremy.

From the overlay I can see that Tollbar Jay was right, I had walked right over the site of the school while taking some of the pictures.

Guest Tollbar  Jay

Jeramy that's so helpfull thanks very interesting :D in the pictures Dave Was Stood about 50 yrds up from the blokes in the 1950's picture and from Jeramys overlay i can see that the wall i dug up in my garden was the rear left hand gabble wall of the white house i am going to atempt to find out when this house was demolished i think it was around 1970 ish and i may be able to find out from some local elders where the key stone for Dr Flories School was found its just somthing is niggling me ..There are gate posts about on Myrtle Lane that lead to that white house and they have been there many many many years and they are very Rurral looking ....I found 2 Gate toppers in my garden that are Buetifull Dressed Stone and some stone Cills and arcitecture that fits in with the drawing of the school now maybee the white house was built ontop of the old foundations of the school but it must have been along time ago because the old drains are victorian looking Hmm i hope this makes sence but after living and digging up round here i and storys i have been told i am starting to wonder now if the row of buildings behind the row of 3 are acually the remains of the school

Guest Gramps

Both ponds are still there.

I found them both on my little "tour"

I have put pictures of them in posts #38 and #39 of this thread.

Interestingly they have built the houses around the ponds.

The smaller pond (post #39) forms a "gap" in a row of houses along the street

So you did - I was paying more attention to the footpath in #41 and #42. To be preserved as it has been suggests it was an ancient 'right-of-way' and on the 1903 survey a 'Stone' is marked alongside the path close to the large pond which may have been an old way-marker. Part of the path appears to been used as a carriage drive to the school on the 1850 map.

Using the path as a guide I did a rough translation of the buildings on the 1903 map onto a Google aerial shot; probably not very accurate :rolleyes:

Guest Tollbar  Jay

So you did - I was paying more attention to the footpath in #41 and #42. To be preserved as it has been suggests it was an ancient 'right-of-way' and on the 1903 survey a 'Stone' is marked alongside the path close to the large pond which may have been an old way-marker. Part of the path appears to been used as a carriage drive to the school on the 1850 map.

Using the path as a guide I did a rough translation of the buildings on the 1903 map onto a Google aerial shot; probably not very accurate :rolleyes:

I would say you are right there the larger red outline i would say was where the old school was ..the people who live in the houses in that square self built them i will ask them if they have any pictures you your out line off the white house is amazingly acurate its corner was bang on my footings

What a topic this is turning out to be!

From not even knowing that this school ever existed in an area close to where I grew up

To finding its rough position within Myrtle Springs

Then Tollbar Jay locating its exact position for us, and even locating some relics and earthworks of the original building.

And most recently overlay maps being produced which fix the buildings position to within feet of its exact original location.

There is some real history being uncovered here, - well done to all who have contributed, especially our most recent member Tollbar Jay who provided the vital missing information required to exactly locate the building.

This is a piece of Sheffields history which this site now possesses more information on than probably anyone else!

Guest Shelagh

re: Henry Cornelius Flory.

I've just found this forum via Google and have now joined Sheffield History.

My maiden name was FLORY and Henry Cornelius Flory who founded Myrtle Springs Boarding School was my Great great grandfather.

I have much information on this family (who were Dutch) if anyone is interested. Henry's wife was called Clasina (or Clazina) Clarissa.

Shelagh