Lodge Moor Hospital

graham c

Was taken here in the early 50s with Infantile Parralitis which changed to Poliomilitas whilst I was in Hospital. Of course, now known as Polio. Upset my family qa lot as in those days you finished up with calipers on your legs or, in an iron lung.

FORTUNEATLY WE HAD A NEW DOCTOR IN THE DR PANNIKER PRACTICE ON THE CORNER OF HALIFAX ROAD/PARSON CROSS ROAD. HE WAS Dr VAUGHAN WHO HAD BEEN ON A COURSE STUDYING POLIO AND I WAS FORTUNATE THAT HE NOTICED MY SYMPTEMS AT THE EARLY STAGE.RUSHED ME INTO LODGE MOOR WERE I WAS FOR SEVERAL MONTHS,AND ONLY SAW MY FAMILY ONCE A WEEK THROUGH THE WINDOWS AS THEY HAD TO STAND ON THE BALCONY'S OUT SIDE. AS IT WAS WINTER TIME IT WAS NOT ALL THAT PLEASANT VISITING BUT CAN REMEMBER MY DAD SHOWING ME AN ICICLE THAT WAS LONGER THAN THE WINDOW. AND THE ONLY WAY THEY COULD FIND OUT ABOUT MY CONDITION WAS A COLUMN IN THE STAR THAT WOULD PRINT A LIST OF NUMBERS, (THAT PATIENTS WERE GIVEN), IN ORDER OF SERIOUSNESS. I WAS AT THE TOP OF THE LIST FOR MANY WEEKS, AND I WAS TOLD THERE WAS MUCH JOY IN THE HOUSE WHEN MY NUMBER STARTED TO GO DOWN THE LIST.

FOOTNOTE.

WHEN MY FAMILY FIRST REALISED THERE WAS SOMETHING WRONG WITH ME, WAS ON RETURNING FROM GATHERING FIREWOOD FROM BEELEY WOODS,AND WAS WALKING PAST THE BUS SHEDS AT HERRIES ROAD AND I COULD HARDLY WALK. THE LADS I WAS WITH TALKED A BUS CONDUCTOR TO LET ME GET ON HIS BUS AS WE WERE SKINT AND I WAS NOT WELL, BUT HE WANTED ME TO LEAVE THE WOOD I HAD COLLECTED,BUT I REFUSED SO WALKED/CRAWLED IT WITH THE WOOD. :rolleyes:

WAS TAKEN HERE IN EARLY 50s WITH INFANTILEPARRALITIS WHICH CHANGED TO POLIOMILITAS WHILST I WAS IN THE HOSPITAL.OF COURSE NOW KNOWN AS POLIO. UPSET MY FAMILY A LOT AS IN THOSE DAYS YOU FINISHED UP WITH CALLAPERS ON YOUR LEGS OR,IN AN IRON LUNG. FORTUNEATLY WE HAD A NEW DOCTOR IN THE DR PANNIKER PRACTICE ON THE CORNER OF HALIFAX ROAD/PARSON CROSS ROAD. HE WAS Dr VAUGHAN WHO HAD BEEN ON A COURSE STUDYING POLIO AND I WAS FORTUNATE THAT HE NOTICED MY SYMPTEMS AT THE EARLY STAGE.RUSHED ME INTO LODGE MOOR WERE I WAS FOR SEVERAL MONTHS,AND ONLY SAW MY FAMILY ONCE A WEEK THROUGH THE WINDOWS AS THEY HAD TO STAND ON THE BALCONY'S OUT SIDE. AS IT WAS WINTER TIME IT WAS NOT ALL THAT PLEASANT VISITING BUT CAN REMEMBER MY DAD SHOWING ME AN ICICLE THAT WAS LONGER THAN THE WINDOW. AND THE ONLY WAY THEY COULD FIND OUT ABOUT MY CONDITION WAS A COLUMN IN THE STAR THAT WOULD PRINT A LIST OF NUMBERS, (THAT PATIENTS WERE GIVEN), IN ORDER OF SERIOUSNESS. I WAS AT THE TOP OF THE LIST FOR MANY WEEKS, AND I WAS TOLD THERE WAS MUCH JOY IN THE HOUSE WHEN MY NUMBER STARTED TO GO DOWN THE LIST.

FOOTNOTE.

WHEN MY FAMILY FIRST REALISED THERE WAS SOMETHING WRONG WITH ME, WAS ON RETURNING FROM GATHERING FIREWOOD FROM BEELEY WOODS,AND WAS WALKING PAST THE BUS SHEDS AT HERRIES ROAD AND I COULD HARDLY WALK. THE LADS I WAS WITH TALKED A BUS CONDUCTOR TO LET ME GET ON HIS BUS AS WE WERE SKINT AND I WAS NOT WELL, BUT HE WANTED ME TO LEAVE THE WOOD I HAD COLLECTED,BUT I REFUSED SO WALKED/CRAWLED IT WITH THE WOOD. :rolleyes:

Really glad to hear you made it "down the list" Graham! They made a documentary about the last person at Lodge Moor to be in an "iron lung" I believe they called him Dennis, Mom nursed there in the 50's and remembered him as a real character, I remember the documentary well as when the cameras panned out to show the view Dennis had from his room, there was me!! riding my pony in the adjoining field!!!

I was a member of the Lodge Moor Hospital Sports and Social club in the 80's and used to enjoy swimming in the wonderfully hot swimming pool before downing a few bevvies in the bar.

Guest jhmiller

Very interesting! I too was put into Lodge Moor Hospital with possible polio, sometime in 1954 or 1955. Not a happy time, but fortunately it turned out not to be polio but pneumonia, so no long-term damage.

I've a question if anyone can help me. Sometime later in the 1950s a jet, possibly an American fighter, crashed into Lodge Moor Hospital. We used to live not far away and I remember it, but not the date. Has anyone any information?

All the best

jhmiller

WAS TAKEN HERE IN EARLY 50s WITH INFANTILEPARRALITIS WHICH CHANGED TO POLIOMILITAS WHILST I WAS IN THE HOSPITAL.OF COURSE NOW KNOWN AS POLIO. UPSET MY FAMILY A LOT AS IN THOSE DAYS YOU FINISHED UP WITH CALLAPERS ON YOUR LEGS OR,IN AN IRON LUNG. FORTUNEATLY WE HAD A NEW DOCTOR IN THE DR PANNIKER PRACTICE ON THE CORNER OF HALIFAX ROAD/PARSON CROSS ROAD. HE WAS Dr VAUGHAN WHO HAD BEEN ON A COURSE STUDYING POLIO AND I WAS FORTUNATE THAT HE NOTICED MY SYMPTEMS AT THE EARLY STAGE.RUSHED ME INTO LODGE MOOR WERE I WAS FOR SEVERAL MONTHS,AND ONLY SAW MY FAMILY ONCE A WEEK THROUGH THE WINDOWS AS THEY HAD TO STAND ON THE BALCONY'S OUT SIDE. AS IT WAS WINTER TIME IT WAS NOT ALL THAT PLEASANT VISITING BUT CAN REMEMBER MY DAD SHOWING ME AN ICICLE THAT WAS LONGER THAN THE WINDOW. AND THE ONLY WAY THEY COULD FIND OUT ABOUT MY CONDITION WAS A COLUMN IN THE STAR THAT WOULD PRINT A LIST OF NUMBERS, (THAT PATIENTS WERE GIVEN), IN ORDER OF SERIOUSNESS. I WAS AT THE TOP OF THE LIST FOR MANY WEEKS, AND I WAS TOLD THERE WAS MUCH JOY IN THE HOUSE WHEN MY NUMBER STARTED TO GO DOWN THE LIST.

FOOTNOTE.

Very interesting! I too was put into Lodge Moor Hospital with possible polio, sometime in 1954 or 1955. Not a happy time, but fortunately it turned out not to be polio but pneumonia, so no long-term damage.

I've a question if anyone can help me. Sometime later in the 1950s a jet, possibly an American fighter, crashed into Lodge Moor Hospital. We used to live not far away and I remember it, but not the date. Has anyone any information?

All the best

jhmiller

Have a look at this link, (post no 27 in particular). All the info you could wish for, except for the date!

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread...0336&page=2

It does actually state..

December 9th 1955.

Hugh

Thanks Hugh, I must get these glasses changed! ;-)

Lodge Moor Hospital was originally built in 1887, opening its 12 wooden wards on the 20th February 1888 as the Borough Smallpox Hospital.

Demolition of Tuberculosis Huts, Crimicar Lane. 1955.

s23386.jpg.b367bd6eb3dd48b95c435f11f77226df.jpgs23386

s21093.jpg.180aec76ddcf981a3bfa7482557011e6.jpgs21093

View taken from an upstairs room of the main Crimicar Lane Isolation Hospital showing the WW2 concrete roofed air raid shelter.

By June 1898 it was decided to add permanant stone buildings to comprise of accommodation for 146 patients. The administation block and isolation wards were occupied in 1901 and 6 wards each with 22 beds were completed by 1902. The Clock Tower and the Lodge at the main gates were completed in May 1903.

For more information see: Lodge Moor Hospital 1887-1987, Lodge Moor Cenenary Brochure Ref: 362.11.

See also The Hospital on the Moor, the spinal injuries unit Lodge Moor by Ella Goddard Ref: 362.197482.

Clock Tower, Main Entrance, Lodge Moor Hospital. 30th October 1990.

s23347.jpg.90553eb68b868b37cb554a35dae6fbf1.jpgs23347

Administration Block, Lodge Moor Hospital. s23355.jpg.e7e7541ae58e2c1c83aa67ab2d4cb4f3.jpgs23355

Infectious Diseases Wards (West Wards), Lodge Moor Hospitals23354.jpg.32149a0a7e970e1b77bbd0b08c325a67.jpgs23354

Respiratory Function Unit, Lodge Moor Hospital. s23353.jpg.a34164605deda8c48e144b34f1b868ec.jpgs23353

Lodge Moor Fever Hospitals07406.jpg.6b2952a5e6260f091b547407f311b948.jpgs07406

Lodge Moor Hospital Gatehouse, Redmires Road. 1909.s05407.jpg.85affe9dd179d47129469e0565104708.jpgs05406

Basketball in the Spinal Unit gymnasium, Lodge Moor Hospital. 21st July 1992.s23376.jpg.e3c4f4d001c59f4c84a8bfc2b364d6e7.jpgs23376

Swimming pool (Spinal Unit), Lodge Moor Hospital. 21st July 1992. s23375.jpg.6b625481ecbf9b7d88102d85ac860e83.jpgs23375

As a very young boy I was a patient in the isolation unit with ! I think, Scarlet Fever. All I remember is my Mum and a strange man in uniform looking at me from outside through a windows.

The man was my Dad whom I had never seen before and the fever turned out to be tonsillitis …so Mum told me!

14 hours ago, Ponytail said:

Roads at Lodge Moor Hospital: A plan showing carriageways and ash paths. 

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;y10034&pos=1&action=zoom&id=65512

It seems strange, that there are photo's of the Isolation Huts & Demolition at the Crimicar Lane Hospital,

yet, despite much searching, I have never found any of the Huts that were at Lodge Moor 

Crimicar_Lane_gates.jpg.de194807764181445500db9786fb31fb.jpg

Copied from Wikipedia. 

"In 1955 the Board recommended that Crimicar Lane should no longer be used as a hospital and the tuberculosis Huts were demolished at that time.[2] All patients were transferred to Lodge Moor Hospital on 31 May 1956.[1] The hospital stood empty for some time before the remaining buildings were demolished to make way for the housing which now stands on Westminster Crescent. All that remains of the old hospital are the perimeter wall and the main gates which have a memorial plaque attached to them.[1]"

Full Wikipedia:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crimicar_Lane_Hospital

Crimicar Lane Hospital, Sheffield

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/2fecb3e5-bc53-4b16-96d4-5df8d95893df

Including Information:

Crimicar Lane Hospital and Sanatorium was opened in November 1902 for the reception of smallpox cases. It consisted of two wards, each accommodating 21 beds; an isolation block accommodating four wards each with two beds; also an administrative block, laundry and disinfector. Prior to the First World War the hospital was primarily for cases of smallpox, but consumptive (tuberculosis) patients were admitted if smallpox cases were lacking. In 1915 a temporary wooden ward was erected to accommodate 48 patients and an extension to the administrative block was built in 1916.

Many patients were those associated with the cutlery industry: grindstones and buffing wheels created a huge amount of gritty dust. Silicosis was the cause of great mortality, as was tuberculosis which was often associated with the "dolly polishing" of silverware.

In 1950 the hospital had accommodation for 53 patients.

In 1955 the Planning Committee of Sheffield Regional Hospital Board recommended that the use of the premises as a hospital be discontinued and that the patients be moved to Lodge Moor Hospital. The buildings were to be retained pending instructions from the Ministry of Health.

The patients were all transferred out of the hospital on 31 May 1956; the patients at Commonside Sanatorium also being transferred to Lodge Moor at around the same time.

The hospital buildings were later demolished to make way for housing; all that remains are the part of the perimeter wall and gates (2004).

Administration

The hospital was administered by Hospitals Committee of Sheffield City Council, established under the Public Health Act, 1875. In 1927 this committee became a sub-committee of the Health Committee.

At the establishment of the National Health Service in 1948 management, like other hospitals formerly administered by the Council, passed to the Sheffield No 3 Hospital Management Committee of Sheffield Regional Hospital Board (SRHB).

I have lived up at Lodge Moor for 40 years.....my wife's family even longer.

My brother-in-law likes to investigate old aircraft crash sites and back in the early eighties he and a friend decided that they would see if there was any evidence of the 1955 crash at the hospital.

They were roughly aware of the crash site in the grounds of the hospital and went searching through the undergrowth.

Unfortunately for them the area was in front of the nurses accommodation and they were spotted crawling around in the undergrowth.

They were approached by some of the hospital staff who thought they were peeping toms trying to get a look through the nurses windows.

On another note in 1986 I was just going down to the Lodge Moor shops and saw people stood at the side of Redmires road. I had no idea what they were waiting for so wandered down only to find just as I arrived  a car drove past me only feet away with Princess Diana waving at us. Some people had been waiting for a while and I just happened to turn up just at the right time.

I had no idea Diana had been on a visit to Lodge Moor hospital.

I volunteered at the hospital radio station that was set up there in the late 70's /early 80's. It was not far from the social club of which we were members, so not exactly near the wards. We set up an "outside broadcast" for some event or other and ended up climbing over roofs to get cables to the right place, couldn't do that nowadays! I remember the doctors tearing around the corridors on electric scooters at tremendous speed, had to jump out of the way more than once.

I remember in the Children's ward, the 'SPARKLY' floor in the toilets, when I was in there as a little one with Measles. 

We sat either side of small tables down the middle of the ward to eat. My favourite time, was in the afternoon,

when we had 'JAM SANDWICHES' on pale coloured plastic plates. 

Had to wave to Mum through the windows or the side door window. That was a bit upsetting!

When I was leaving, the guy we saw gave me a tiny fluffy Husky Dog toy, for being a 'good girl'. Had it till it fell to bits.