Sign in to follow this  
graham c

Lodge Moor Hospital

Was taken here in the early 50s with Infantile Parralitis which changed to Poliomilitas whilst I was in Hospital. Of course, now known as Polio. Upset my family qa lot as in those days you finished up with calipers on your legs or, in an iron lung.

FORTUNEATLY WE HAD A NEW DOCTOR IN THE DR PANNIKER PRACTICE ON THE CORNER OF HALIFAX ROAD/PARSON CROSS ROAD. HE WAS Dr VAUGHAN WHO HAD BEEN ON A COURSE STUDYING POLIO AND I WAS FORTUNATE THAT HE NOTICED MY SYMPTEMS AT THE EARLY STAGE.RUSHED ME INTO LODGE MOOR WERE I WAS FOR SEVERAL MONTHS,AND ONLY SAW MY FAMILY ONCE A WEEK THROUGH THE WINDOWS AS THEY HAD TO STAND ON THE BALCONY'S OUT SIDE. AS IT WAS WINTER TIME IT WAS NOT ALL THAT PLEASANT VISITING BUT CAN REMEMBER MY DAD SHOWING ME AN ICICLE THAT WAS LONGER THAN THE WINDOW. AND THE ONLY WAY THEY COULD FIND OUT ABOUT MY CONDITION WAS A COLUMN IN THE STAR THAT WOULD PRINT A LIST OF NUMBERS, (THAT PATIENTS WERE GIVEN), IN ORDER OF SERIOUSNESS. I WAS AT THE TOP OF THE LIST FOR MANY WEEKS, AND I WAS TOLD THERE WAS MUCH JOY IN THE HOUSE WHEN MY NUMBER STARTED TO GO DOWN THE LIST.

FOOTNOTE.

WHEN MY FAMILY FIRST REALISED THERE WAS SOMETHING WRONG WITH ME, WAS ON RETURNING FROM GATHERING FIREWOOD FROM BEELEY WOODS,AND WAS WALKING PAST THE BUS SHEDS AT HERRIES ROAD AND I COULD HARDLY WALK. THE LADS I WAS WITH TALKED A BUS CONDUCTOR TO LET ME GET ON HIS BUS AS WE WERE SKINT AND I WAS NOT WELL, BUT HE WANTED ME TO LEAVE THE WOOD I HAD COLLECTED,BUT I REFUSED SO WALKED/CRAWLED IT WITH THE WOOD. :rolleyes:

WAS TAKEN HERE IN EARLY 50s WITH INFANTILEPARRALITIS WHICH CHANGED TO POLIOMILITAS WHILST I WAS IN THE HOSPITAL.OF COURSE NOW KNOWN AS POLIO. UPSET MY FAMILY A LOT AS IN THOSE DAYS YOU FINISHED UP WITH CALLAPERS ON YOUR LEGS OR,IN AN IRON LUNG. FORTUNEATLY WE HAD A NEW DOCTOR IN THE DR PANNIKER PRACTICE ON THE CORNER OF HALIFAX ROAD/PARSON CROSS ROAD. HE WAS Dr VAUGHAN WHO HAD BEEN ON A COURSE STUDYING POLIO AND I WAS FORTUNATE THAT HE NOTICED MY SYMPTEMS AT THE EARLY STAGE.RUSHED ME INTO LODGE MOOR WERE I WAS FOR SEVERAL MONTHS,AND ONLY SAW MY FAMILY ONCE A WEEK THROUGH THE WINDOWS AS THEY HAD TO STAND ON THE BALCONY'S OUT SIDE. AS IT WAS WINTER TIME IT WAS NOT ALL THAT PLEASANT VISITING BUT CAN REMEMBER MY DAD SHOWING ME AN ICICLE THAT WAS LONGER THAN THE WINDOW. AND THE ONLY WAY THEY COULD FIND OUT ABOUT MY CONDITION WAS A COLUMN IN THE STAR THAT WOULD PRINT A LIST OF NUMBERS, (THAT PATIENTS WERE GIVEN), IN ORDER OF SERIOUSNESS. I WAS AT THE TOP OF THE LIST FOR MANY WEEKS, AND I WAS TOLD THERE WAS MUCH JOY IN THE HOUSE WHEN MY NUMBER STARTED TO GO DOWN THE LIST.

FOOTNOTE.

WHEN MY FAMILY FIRST REALISED THERE WAS SOMETHING WRONG WITH ME, WAS ON RETURNING FROM GATHERING FIREWOOD FROM BEELEY WOODS,AND WAS WALKING PAST THE BUS SHEDS AT HERRIES ROAD AND I COULD HARDLY WALK. THE LADS I WAS WITH TALKED A BUS CONDUCTOR TO LET ME GET ON HIS BUS AS WE WERE SKINT AND I WAS NOT WELL, BUT HE WANTED ME TO LEAVE THE WOOD I HAD COLLECTED,BUT I REFUSED SO WALKED/CRAWLED IT WITH THE WOOD. :rolleyes:

Really glad to hear you made it "down the list" Graham! They made a documentary about the last person at Lodge Moor to be in an "iron lung" I believe they called him Dennis, Mom nursed there in the 50's and remembered him as a real character, I remember the documentary well as when the cameras panned out to show the view Dennis had from his room, there was me!! riding my pony in the adjoining field!!!

I was a member of the Lodge Moor Hospital Sports and Social club in the 80's and used to enjoy swimming in the wonderfully hot swimming pool before downing a few bevvies in the bar.

Very interesting! I too was put into Lodge Moor Hospital with possible polio, sometime in 1954 or 1955. Not a happy time, but fortunately it turned out not to be polio but pneumonia, so no long-term damage.

I've a question if anyone can help me. Sometime later in the 1950s a jet, possibly an American fighter, crashed into Lodge Moor Hospital. We used to live not far away and I remember it, but not the date. Has anyone any information?

All the best

jhmiller

WAS TAKEN HERE IN EARLY 50s WITH INFANTILEPARRALITIS WHICH CHANGED TO POLIOMILITAS WHILST I WAS IN THE HOSPITAL.OF COURSE NOW KNOWN AS POLIO. UPSET MY FAMILY A LOT AS IN THOSE DAYS YOU FINISHED UP WITH CALLAPERS ON YOUR LEGS OR,IN AN IRON LUNG. FORTUNEATLY WE HAD A NEW DOCTOR IN THE DR PANNIKER PRACTICE ON THE CORNER OF HALIFAX ROAD/PARSON CROSS ROAD. HE WAS Dr VAUGHAN WHO HAD BEEN ON A COURSE STUDYING POLIO AND I WAS FORTUNATE THAT HE NOTICED MY SYMPTEMS AT THE EARLY STAGE.RUSHED ME INTO LODGE MOOR WERE I WAS FOR SEVERAL MONTHS,AND ONLY SAW MY FAMILY ONCE A WEEK THROUGH THE WINDOWS AS THEY HAD TO STAND ON THE BALCONY'S OUT SIDE. AS IT WAS WINTER TIME IT WAS NOT ALL THAT PLEASANT VISITING BUT CAN REMEMBER MY DAD SHOWING ME AN ICICLE THAT WAS LONGER THAN THE WINDOW. AND THE ONLY WAY THEY COULD FIND OUT ABOUT MY CONDITION WAS A COLUMN IN THE STAR THAT WOULD PRINT A LIST OF NUMBERS, (THAT PATIENTS WERE GIVEN), IN ORDER OF SERIOUSNESS. I WAS AT THE TOP OF THE LIST FOR MANY WEEKS, AND I WAS TOLD THERE WAS MUCH JOY IN THE HOUSE WHEN MY NUMBER STARTED TO GO DOWN THE LIST.

FOOTNOTE.

Very interesting! I too was put into Lodge Moor Hospital with possible polio, sometime in 1954 or 1955. Not a happy time, but fortunately it turned out not to be polio but pneumonia, so no long-term damage.

I've a question if anyone can help me. Sometime later in the 1950s a jet, possibly an American fighter, crashed into Lodge Moor Hospital. We used to live not far away and I remember it, but not the date. Has anyone any information?

All the best

jhmiller

Have a look at this link, (post no 27 in particular). All the info you could wish for, except for the date!

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread...0336&page=2

It does actually state..

December 9th 1955.

Hugh

Thanks Hugh, I must get these glasses changed! ;-)