Kenneth Steel

sando

Hi

I am looking for information on the Sheffield artist, Kenneth Steel, I have found the limited information below, but would be greatfull for anything else.

Painter in watercolour, engraver & lithographer of landscapes & street scenes; poster designer. Born Sheffield 9/7/1906, son of G.T.Steel, an artist and silver engraver. Studied at Sheffield College of Art under Anthony Betts. Represented in several public collections. Achieved a prolific output of artwork for the railways. Based in Crookes, Sheffield for years. Produced posters for LNER & BR.

Produced artwork for LNER Post-War, LMR Railway Architecture, Scottish Region series.

I have found a little bit more information about Kenneth including prints and his picture at

www.travellingartgallery.com/landscape/print/artist/A054.html

Also found a copy of this painting of Derby School of Transport by KS, which looks very much like High Storrs school Sheffield.

Painter in watercolour, engraver & lithographer of landscapes & street scenes; poster designer. Born Sheffield 9/7/1906, son of G.T.Steel, an artist and silver engraver. Studied at Sheffield College of Art under Anthony Betts. Represented in several public collections. Achieved a prolific output of artwork for the railways. Based in Crookes, Sheffield for years. Produced posters for LNER & BR.

Produced artwork for LNER Post-War, LMR Railway Architecture, Scottish Region series.

http://www.travellingartgallery.com/landsc...rtist/A054.html

Hi

I am looking for information on the Sheffield artist, Kenneth Steel, I have found the limited information below, but would be greatfull for anything else.

Not finding a great deal out there ...

Not finding a great deal out there ...

Like wise I struggled to find much info on the net, especially as Kenneth appears to have been quite a prolific artist, with watercolour paintings ranging from local to mediterianian.

My hope was that, with him being local someone may have some family history other what appear to be published.

Thanks for trying.

Like wise I struggled to find much info on the net, especially as Kenneth appears to have been quite a prolific artist, with watercolour paintings ranging from local to mediterianian.

My hope was that, with him being local someone may have some family history other what appear to be published.

Thanks for trying.

This could be a photo of his imagined painting of Sheffield Castle

Hello Sando

Attached is a cutting from that noted paper of record The Sheffield Weekly Gazette dated 14th September 2006 - it took me a while to find it lol

His mother Annie and wife Olive who died in the Sheffield Blitz are

Name: STEEL, ANNIE ELIZABETH

Initials: A E

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Civilian War Dead

Date of Death: 12/12/1940

Additional information: of 12 Westbrook Bank, Sharrow. Daughter of the late Richard and Elizabeth Howe; wife of George Thomas Steel. Died at Westbrook Bank.

Casualty Type: Civilian War Dead

Reporting Authority: SHEFFIELD, COUNTY BOROUGH

Name: STEEL, OLIVE

Initials: O

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Civilian War Dead

Date of Death: 13/12/1940

Additional information: of 12 Westbrook Bank, Sharrow. Wife of Kenneth Steel. Injured 12 December 1940, at 12 Westbrook Bank; died at Women's Hospital, Leaveygreave Road.

Casualty Type: Civilian War Dead

Reporting Authority: SHEFFIELD, COUNTY BOROUGH

Source Commonweath War Graves Commission

I have been unable to find either of their graves. I believe that Kenneth died at the age of 64 from throat cancer which would have been circa 1970

Hope it helps

Guest jamescurt

hi people i have just been extremely lucky and have bought what i think is a genuine kenneth steel painting of saxtead mill in suffolk for a mere £30 at an antiques fair.i didnt know nothing about the guy until reading this thread and was amazed by how hard his life must have been with the deaths of his wife and mother so quick in sucession must have truly hit the man.the painting of railway posters i have seen almost confirm my belief of my paintings artist il put a picture of it up on here hopefully apologies for the poor quality of photo as it taken at nightime in unatural light.would like to hear any responces from anybody with further information thanks james

Guest akademik

I don't know whether this is relevant to the purposes of this thread. But I have just found out that Kenneth Steel is the (younger) brother of George Hammond Steel. GH Steel was also an artist, some of his work can be Googled on the web; and he has his own entries in various reference works on art that I have looked at (often along with Kenneth):

- Who's Who in Art (1950)

- Dictionary of British Artists working 1900-1950 by Grant M. Waters (1975)

- Painters in the Northern Counties of England and Wales by Dennis Child (no date)

- Artists in Britain since 1945 Vol II by David Buckman (no date that I have recorded)

I would assume that there should be (many) more such entries around.

My own interest, in George Hammond Steel, however, is that he was for a number of years a director of the Sheffield firm of Robertson & Russell, artists in stained glass (mainly): 1929-1935, perhaps; the R&R windows in St Andrews church on Psalter Lane were designed by him, but there must be (have been?) many more (which I would love to trace, but I have so far been unable to do so).

Hi

I am writing a book on Kenneth Steel and have much information I can share so get in touch BUT still need to trace his early engravings entitled "The Court" [ view of back of Albert Hall] and "A Derbyshire Lead Mine". Also want to see images of any oil paintings or watercolours in private ownership

Please contact me via this email edwardyardley@btinternet.com

Many thanks

Ed

i have a pen and ink drawing of cole brothers in Sheffield must have been someones leaving present as its signed by loads of staff on the back  poss 60s/70s

On 19/12/2021 at 17:07, St Annington said:

Sheffield Museums are holding a Kenneth Steel exhibition at Weston Park. 

Dec 17 2021 - May 2 2022.

Been today and it is outstanding. Don't miss it.

Also there is a mystery to be solved on the Kenneth Steel website . . . . . . . . 

image.png.d0411ffcc71b51ac4317804589c22048.png

https://kennethsteel.co.uk/perspective-drawings

A mystery solved, it's the offices of Tetley Brewery off Herries Road, now used by Hallam FM. I'll let them know.

I think it's almost certain that the Tetley Brewery illustration below is also by Kenneth Steel.

image.png.32c60df8b065e6a2a2b3ab69dfa03f66.png

• Like 2