The Story of the Sheffield Blitz

Sheffield History

On 4/8/2007 at 17:03, syrup said:

Hi mackyD

I noticed from your post that your nan was from Pitsmoor my mother was also from Pitsmoor and during the Blitz was an ambulance driver in the Civil Defence based in Corperation St and Pye Bank School she lived on Gray St, the attached photo could bring back memories to some people??

symap__mum_.JPG

Marvellous photo  can you give any more information please. My mother was also a driver.

2 hours ago, miked said:

Marvellous photo  can you give any more information please. My mother was also a driver.

Hi miked 

What information would you like i mostly have Photos and some memories of stories she told me..

I have been trying to write up my mothers story and the story of May Mirfin, very little info on the Ambulance service.  My mother was base at Hartley Brook, Mirfin was but also had  a connection with Corporation st.  

I wondered if I might send you the draft story to have a look at and perhaps  add something more.  I would like to use the photo if I may please, credit given Its for yet another none commercial venture, I will give it to local studies. The uniforms suggest later years of the war?

The pic below is Corporation st. theres another copy on picturesheffield with others.

Thanks

mike

DSCF5935.JPG

ARP Southey-Shiregreen.jpg

I will help where I can here's a few Photos the first leaving training school location Unknown.

My Mother to be Kathie 4th from the left ( with the boney knees under Her arms )

image.jpeg

These are taken at Pye Bank School.

My Mother to be Kathie 1st from the right.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

My Mother to be Kathie front centre .

image.jpeg

My Mother to be Kathie 2nd from the left.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

A workmates Wedding at Christ Church Pitsmoor.

There are names on the reverse of this photo sadly not full names note the crosses, the first cross is Shep then my Mother Kathie Noble (nee Green) then Kath, Dolly and Edna.

image.jpeg

Brilliant photos, thanks.

This pic below shows a Pye Bank group. Other pics mention Pitsmoor (will that be Pye Bank?) I searched "Ambulance"

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;u01662&action=zoom&pos=126&id=37002&continueUrl=

Some stories, detail of photos, names would be interesting - before they are  lost. Do you have any artefacts? The City Museum only has a uniform and no information at all.

On 08/04/2007 at 19:12, echo said:

It may well have been that the german bombers intended hitting the East End of the City as well as Sheffield Central. The reason for this is that Lord Haw Haw (the traitor William Joyce of Ipswich, later hanged for his deeds) came on the wireless with one of his infamous 'Germany Calling' messages. He said that the seven sisters of Sheffield would be hit that night. The seven sisters were of course the seven chimneys of the Brightside steelworks of Steel Peach and Tozer. I heard this many years ago on an old ITV programme named 'All our Yesterdays'. Of course it could have been a decoy, but he did say it.

Interesting post this one. Always the same drawling introduction by Joyce, followed by supposedly the latest, usually bad, U.K. news. His broadcasts were quite late in the evening so I got to stay up later. Once father had expressed disbelief it was bedtime. I don't  think anyone really believed him and he was often the butt of the comedians of the day. 

I have to query the Seven Sisters bit though. The theory of Sheffeld being "built on seven hills like Rome" was common at the time but was dismissed as a myth. Looking it up is an interesting exercise. I suggest William Joyce did  mean the whole city at the time.

I doubt he would be so specific about the Steel Peach and Tozers set-up. Anyway they had fourteen chimneys, not seven..Funny nobody picked that up in 2007.