Rotherwood Hall

THYLACINE

In the early 1970's Rotherwood Hall was used by Orgreave Coke Ovens as offices and a social club. It was situated in a wooded area between the coke ovens and Orgreave colliery. Does anyone know what has become of it? Where can I find information on it's history. Help please.

In the early 1970's Rotherwood Hall was used by Orgreave Coke Ovens as offices and a social club. It was situated in a wooded area between the coke ovens and Orgreave colliery. Does anyone know what has become of it? Where can I find information on it's history. Help please.

Hi, It was the home of Richard Sorby Esq, Coal Producer b1806-d1862, he was the son of John Sorby who lived at nearby Orgreave Hall and founded the John Sorby & Sons edge tool business. It was demolished about 1993.

Hi Phil and welcome,

have you had a look on the Treeton Web site .. Link

there's mention to two halls in the area 'Orgreave Hall' & 'Rotherwood Hall'

Herbert John Oxley Rotherwood, Doncaster Road, Rotherham (Kelly's 1893)

Daniel Mullins Manager (John Smiths Tadcaster Brewery Co. Ltd) h. Rotherwood, Rotherham (White's 1911 and 1919)

Thanx guys, yes, I checked out the Treeton website and found the references to Rotherwood and Orgreave Halls are very brief. I googled Richard Sorby and found excellent information on Tim Sorby's Genealogy page, including a photo and beautiful watercolour of Orgreave Hall. Sadly no images of Rotherwood! He says, quote "Orgreave Hall . . . was used as a social club and administrative offices by the NCB" Now I began to question my own memory, was it Orgreave Hall or Rotherwood Hall that we used as our social club? SteveHB's map confirmed to me that it WAS Rotherwood Hall, as a coke ovens electrician, I used to maintain the electrical installations there and throw a few darts between changing light bulbs. I am following up RichardB's references, though am unfamiliar with them. Please keep the info. coming.

I was an apprentice electrician at Orgreave Coke Ovens from 1966 to 1970 and worked as a qualified tradesman until 1972 when I emigrated to Australia.

I was amazed to see pictures of the confrontation at Orgreave on TV here in Oz. We came home to Sheffield for a holiday in 1995 and drove down Orgreave Lane.

There were green fields and grazing sheep where the Coke ovens used to be. Seeing the picture of the Orgreave Plant on the BBC South Yorkshire website was quite a moving experience for me, it was the first time I had seen it since our first trip back home in 1978.

I wonder what happened to Rotherwood Hall, the beautiful old manor house which had been converted to offices and a social club for Orgreave Plant Workers?

It was situated in a wooded area between the coking plant and the colliery. I often wonder if it survived and if so, what became of it.

From our correspondent, errr, Philip Geary !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/southyorkshire/conten...e_stories.shtml

Extract :

http://www.rotherham.gov.uk/graphics/Learn...EDSOrgreave.htm

Coal Mining

Coal mining at Orgreave began in the 18th century, Dore House Colliery being sunk in 1795. This pit was later reopened by Richard Sorby of Rotherwood Hall, who sank the Orgreave Colliery in 1851. The pit was purchased by the Fence Colliery Co. in 1870 and production was halted in 1871-2 to allow major redevelopment.

The colliery company was reformed as Rothervale Collieries Ltd in 1874. A new shaft was sunk to the Silkstone Seam in 1889-90. There was an underground connection with Treeton Colliery and there were railway connections with the Great Central and Midland railways.

In 1918 Rothervale Collieries constructed a coking plant at Orgreave in an effort to secure the market for their coal. In the same year, Rothervale Collieries became part of United Steel Companies. The coke from the Orgreave plant was supplied to the blast furnaces at Scunthorpe while the gas produced during the coking was piped to the Steel, Peech and Tozer steelworks at Templeborough. When the coal mines were nationalised in 1947, the coking plant passed into the ownership of the United Coke and Chemical Co. Ltd. and eventually became part of British Steel.

Orgreave Colliery closed in 1981.

Guest jmpgino

Thanx guys, yes, I checked out the Treeton website and found the references to Rotherwood and Orgreave Halls are very brief. I googled Richard Sorby and found excellent information on Tim Sorby's Genealogy page, including a photo and beautiful watercolour of Orgreave Hall. Sadly no images of Rotherwood! He says, quote "Orgreave Hall . . . was used as a social club and administrative offices by the NCB" Now I began to question my own memory, was it Orgreave Hall or Rotherwood Hall that we used as our social club? SteveHB's map confirmed to me that it WAS Rotherwood Hall, as a coke ovens electrician, I used to maintain the electrical installations there and throw a few darts between changing light bulbs. I am following up RichardB's references, though am unfamiliar with them. Please keep the info. coming.

Hello,

Well I have some more info on Rotherwood Hall, my Grandfather lived there until he died in the 40's. I have plenty of images of my family there. We went back in the 90's and it had been demolished except the greenhouses, the stonework had been mainly removed. Father was a little upset about it.

After Grandfather died it was turned into offices, he was the President of the company for quite a while and I have a lot of newspaper cuttings ect relating to his life.

I now live in the USA.

Drop me a line if you wish.

Cheers,

James.

Hello,

Well I have some more info on Rotherwood Hall, my Grandfather lived there until he died in the 40's. I have plenty of images of my family there. We went back in the 90's and it had been demolished except the greenhouses, the stonework had been mainly removed. Father was a little upset about it.

After Grandfather died it was turned into offices, he was the President of the company for quite a while and I have a lot of newspaper cuttings ect relating to his life.

I now live in the USA.

Drop me a line if you wish.

Cheers,

James.

James

Many thanks for the above, I have sent you a PM.

Thylacine

Guest jmpgino

Hello again,

Send me your email at home because this site will not let me download the images.

jmpgino@aol.com

I was an apprentice electrician at Orgreave Coke Ovens from 1966 to 1970 and worked as a qualified tradesman until 1972 when I emigrated to Australia.

I was amazed to see pictures of the confrontation at Orgreave on TV here in Oz. We came home to Sheffield for a holiday in 1995 and drove down Orgreave Lane.

There were green fields and grazing sheep where the Coke ovens used to be. Seeing the picture of the Orgreave Plant on the BBC South Yorkshire website was quite a moving experience for me, it was the first time I had seen it since our first trip back home in 1978.

I wonder what happened to Rotherwood Hall, the beautiful old manor house which had been converted to offices and a social club for Orgreave Plant Workers?

It was situated in a wooded area between the coking plant and the colliery. I often wonder if it survived and if so, what became of it.

From our correspondent, errr, Philip Geary !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/southyorkshire/conten...e_stories.shtml

Did you know my Father in Law Maurice Hill then he worked there then he was a charge hand electrician.?

Did you know my Father in Law Maurice Hill then he worked there then he was a charge hand electrician.?

Hi Syl, Yes I remember Maurice, all the shift electricians worked in pairs, his partner was Howard Roadhouse. They worked rotating shifts. Maurice was union rep for a while, he was only pint-size but he never stood any messing around! I used to go to Technical College as part of my apprenticeship, I made a centre punch in metalwork, I was very proud of it and brought it to work to show it off. Maurice said 'Here, lets 'ave a look at it' He positioned my centre punch on that flat part of the vice just behind the jaws, took out of his toolbag the biggest lump hammer he could find and gave it one almighty thump! He handed it back to me bent, flattened, totally useless. They are the priceles lessons you learn in life. I hope he's OK, if possible, tell him Phil says hello and wishes him all the best.

Hi Syl, Yes I remember Maurice, all the shift electricians worked in pairs, his partner was Howard Roadhouse. They worked rotating shifts. Maurice was union rep for a while, he was only pint-size but he never stood any messing around! I used to go to Technical College as part of my apprenticeship, I made a centre punch in metalwork, I was very proud of it and brought it to work to show it off. Maurice said 'Here, lets 'ave a look at it' He positioned my centre punch on that flat part of the vice just behind the jaws, took out of his toolbag the biggest lump hammer he could find and gave it one almighty thump! He handed it back to me bent, flattened, totally useless. They are the priceles lessons you learn in life. I hope he's OK, if possible, tell him Phil says hello and wishes him all the best.

Sorry Phil he sadly died of meningitis 9 years ago but I can just imagine him doing that he had a very weird sense of humour. He taught my kids how to draw with coloured chalks on my white living room wall :rolleyes:

Sorry Phil he sadly died of meningitis 9 years ago but I can just imagine him doing that he had a very weird sense of humour. He taught my kids how to draw with coloured chalks on my white living room wall :rolleyes:

So sorry to hear that. I just looked up meningitis on the net to see if there could have been any possible connection to the place he worked. The coke ovens was not a healthy place, I did my apprenticeship there, oblivious to the dangers that were all around me. It's only in later life that you look back and wonder what you might have inherited from the sulpherous toxic atmosphere we worked in. I think (I hope) I might have got out just in time?

I too worked at "the plant" from 1978 until it's closure in 1990, if memory serves correctly then Rotherwood Hall was a large imposing building in the woods which was used by the administrative staff, I remember the large greenhouse well, during the steelworkers strike my friend and i took two big bags of grapes from it !!! they were the sweetest grapes ever, i remember making some superb wine with them !!!

Orgreave Hall was a separate building which as described earlier was used as our sports and social club, I remember being told that it was about 400 years old, don't know how accurate that was but it was certainly old, I had some great times in there with work colleagues, such a shame it was bulldozed, could have been a lucrative business for someone now especially with all the new housing development nearby.

I knew Maurice and his son Bob, sorry to hear of his death.

As stated above Orgreave was a toxic place to work, we used to call the battery top the "devils kitchen"

Sad that it's gone but good that people aren't working in those conditions anymore.

I have some photo's of the plant from those days, i will try and upload them if anyone's interested.

I also worked at Orgreave Plant up until its closure, as I understand Orgreave Hall was dismantled brick by brick by Rotherham Council and put in storage at one of its Depots.

I think some of the masonry has now been used to make a "Clock Tower" at Treeton Cricket Club.

On ‎25‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 16:51, ian lee said:

I have some photo's of the plant from those days, i will try and upload them if anyone's interested.

Hey Ian,

Just saw your reply when this topic was opened up again. I would be interested in seeing your photographs if you can upload them, I'm sure they would be of interest to the historians on this site. 

10 hours ago, THYLACINE said:

Hey Ian,

Just saw your reply when this topic was opened up again. I would be interested in seeing your photographs if you can upload them, I'm sure they would be of interest to the historians on this site. 

I will dig them out and put them up in next few days, 

A little late to all this chat but I only just joined Sheffield History.

I literally just looked at the 1939 Register for someone in my family tree and find they live at Rotherwood Hall. The family in question was George T Purves, born in 1884, so well into his 50's by then. His occupation is listed as General Manager of By-Product Coking Plant and Tar Distillery. His son George F Purves (born in 1915) also lived there although his details have a red line through as it appears he was travelling as a medical student. Four others lived there too, though one of the records was 'officially closed', the other three are:-

Barbara Currell, born  in 1920 and worked as a teacher of dancing

Alice Williamson, born in 1908 and worked as Lady Housekeeper

Lily Alsopp, born in 1919 and worked as a maid

There is also an extra bit of info written in-between Barbara and Alice saying State Registered Nurse, Reg no 59285 but I am unsure which of the ladies it belongs to.

Mr Purves also had a national role in the industry:

991998182_CokeOvenManagers1932.thumb.png.bbd67f38bf4ba891619b851e423b527b.png

From the Sheffield Independent of 27th October 1934

Coke Oven Managers

Once more "The Year Book" of the Coke Oven Managers' Association comes round: dated as the 1934 issue. It is the "red book" of the industry, a model of patient compilation, and must be exceedingly welcome to all who have any interest in this great and growing industry.

It is compiled by an editorial committee of which Mr. George T. Purves, of Rotherwood Hall, Handsworth, Sheffield, is chairman: and Mr. F.T. Hatswell , of Wombwell, near Barnsley, is the hon. secretary. One is familiar with it over the years of its issue: and therefore, can the more readily express appreciation of its growth in size and quality and its service to industry.

It is no mean accomplishment to tell us all about the personnel and plant in all parts of the World: and on top of this there is the latest technical information in regard to coking, by-products and gas production. To quote the editors:

"More progress has been made with the compilation of Coke Oven Plants abroad. Further new sources of information have been obtained: and the lists for France, Belgium, Poland, Czecho-Slovakia, Spain, Japan, China, Manchuria and all parts of the British Empire may be regarded as absolutely correct." Surely a case of "The World is my parish." There are, roundly, 360 pages in the book, and a surprising number of facts as to plants, owners, managers, and, not least of all, type and tonnage capacities.

• Like 1

On 16/04/2022 at 09:54, Edmund said:

Mr Purves also had a national role in the industry:

991998182_CokeOvenManagers1932.thumb.png.bbd67f38bf4ba891619b851e423b527b.png

From the Sheffield Independent of 27th October 1934

Coke Oven Managers

Once more "The Year Book" of the Coke Oven Managers' Association comes round: dated as the 1934 issue. It is the "red book" of the industry, a model of patient compilation, and must be exceedingly welcome to all who have any interest in this great and growing industry.

It is compiled by an editorial committee of which Mr. George T. Purves, of Rotherwood Hall, Handsworth, Sheffield, is chairman: and Mr. F.T. Hatswell , of Wombwell, near Barnsley, is the hon. secretary. One is familiar with it over the years of its issue: and therefore, can the more readily express appreciation of its growth in size and quality and its service to industry.

It is no mean accomplishment to tell us all about the personnel and plant in all parts of the World: and on top of this there is the latest technical information in regard to coking, by-products and gas production. To quote the editors:

"More progress has been made with the compilation of Coke Oven Plants abroad. Further new sources of information have been obtained: and the lists for France, Belgium, Poland, Czecho-Slovakia, Spain, Japan, China, Manchuria and all parts of the British Empire may be regarded as absolutely correct." Surely a case of "The World is my parish." There are, roundly, 360 pages in the book, and a surprising number of facts as to plants, owners, managers, and, not least of all, type and tonnage capacities.

WOW, that is amazing info - thank you so much Edmund