hello everybody

Guest poppycat

Guest poppycat

hi all i came across this site for the first time today and have found it very interesting so far.

hi all i came across this site for the first time today and have found it very interesting so far.

hi, I'm new too. I'm overwhelmed by the site, I read it about once a week and it brings back all these memories because I used to live in Sheffield. I've got heaps I want to ask, I'm just waiting for the right time. It hasn't happened yet.

Guest tsavo

Keep looking Poppycat, we look forward to your posts. Any problems, let the Mods know.....we're a friendly bunch!

Laurence.

Guest carlie167

hi, I'm new too. I'm overwhelmed by the site, I read it about once a week and it brings back all these memories because I used to live in Sheffield. I've got heaps I want to ask, I'm just waiting for the right time. It hasn't happened yet.

Hi and welcome to you both. Hope you enjoy the forum.

Anytime is the right time to ask questions, there is always someone who can help, thats what I've found.

Jump right in. :)

Welcome to the site (both of you) we have managed to answer some remarkable questions on this site; we await your questions - whether or not we can answer 'em, we will read 'em with interest and we'll do our best.

Thanks Carlie167 and RichardB, I'm still trying to work out the mechanics of the site, it's quite complicated for a dinasaur like me. Something I've wanted to know for a long time, I asked this question on the Radio Sheffield Web site on their Miners Strike segment but didn't get a reply. Do you know what happened to Rotherwood Hall, the old manor house which was used by us coke oven workers as a social club? Did it survive the closure and dismantling of the coke ovens? I would love to see a picture. Also was it the same building that was mentioned in Sir Walter Scott's Ivanhoe? This is the first of many questions I have, should I be starting a new post instead of trampling on Poppycat's patch?

Thanks Carlie167 and RichardB, I'm still trying to work out the mechanics of the site, it's quite complicated for a dinasaur like me. Something I've wanted to know for a long time, I asked this question on the Radio Sheffield Web site on their Miners Strike segment but didn't get a reply. Do you know what happened to Rotherwood Hall, the old manor house which was used by us coke oven workers as a social club? Did it survive the closure and dismantling of the coke ovens? I would love to see a picture. Also was it the same building that was mentioned in Sir Walter Scott's Ivanhoe? This is the first of many questions I have, should I be starting a new post instead of trampling on Poppycat's patch?

Hi Phil.The Treeton Website, http://www.treetonweb.co.uk/parish/orgreave.htm mentions this Hall and Ivanhoe.

Hi Phil.The Treeton Website, http://www.treetonweb.co.uk/parish/orgreave.htm mentions this Hall and Ivanhoe.

Thanks PoppyC, I spent some time on the interesting Treeton Website although references to Rotherwood Hall were a bit scarce. In his novel based in the time of the crusades, Scott says that Rotherwood was the home of Cedric the Saxon, which may have been totally ficticious. I'm interested in the building which was there in the 1960's and could still be there, I just don't know. I suppose the question I should be asking is when was it built. I'm going to pose that question on the SHEFFIELD BUILDINGS - THEIR HISTORY post and see what happens.