Arbourthorne Playing Fields

DaveH

The nearest I can get to a modern version of the previously mentioned view today.

Those trees and bushes make it impossible to get the same viewpoint so here we are displaced eastwards to the corner of Northern Avenue and Spring Lane.

A previous attempt to recreate this scene from 1980

OK its in black & White, but before those trees / bushes grew at least I could get the right place.

The football field nearest Northern Avenue.

This pitch was sometimes used by our school, Norfolk which is only 2 streets away. I don't know why we did this as we had a good field on site.

The Northern Avenue pitch once had its own pavillion and changing rooms with a small car park. Sadly these too have gone due to crime.

The "top pitch" on Eastern Avenue is used by a Sunday League team called "Arbourthorne EA" (I assume the EA stands for Eastern Avenue). Once went to watch them with my dad one Sunday morning in the late 1960's only to see them lose 32 -5 :(

The lowest pitch was also used by a Sunday morning pub team from the Fellbrigg, just off the north west corner of the field. I still have a silent 8mm film of them playing a match one Sunday morning in 1984,- great views of Norfolk Park estate tower blocks in the background. Anyone know how to convert and upload an 8mm film all within our 2Mb limit?

Here are some pictures of a Sunday morning football match on the field in September 1981. "The Fellbrigg" are playing "The Horse and Lion"

Sorry about the quality, - Minox subminiature camera with 9.5mm film.

Link added to main list

Thanks Stuart,

I've now completed the 3 parks I said I would do, - Hollinsend Rec., Jaunty and Arbouthorne PF

But I will consider doing some other local parks (SE of Sheffield) if no one else wants to volunteer.

I found this interesting bit of controversial discussion on the other site, Sheffield Forum about Arbourthorne Pond

Arbourthorne Pond, Cafe and Rowing Boats

In my experience Arbourthorne Pond has always been a fisshing pond.

There has never been any rowing boats or a permanent cafe.

However I have witnessed several, but few and far between, special events, fishing matches, local carnivals, kids clubs for the 6 weeks holidays and bits put on by the Arbourthorne Hotel. Some of these, if seen just the once on the once in a blue moon that they seem to happen, could be taken for this type of permenantly idillic park.

I have recently found 8 colour slides and 200feet of 8mm film (about 16 minutes worth) of a Fellbrigg pub Charity Football Match dated 1986.

Obviously I can't do a lot with the 8mm film on here but I have scanned the 8 colour slides.

Sorry about the quality. they were taken on 3M Ferraniacolour film and reversal processed by me, so all vey amateur.

The match is between

The Fellbrigg FC Sunday league team (in proper kit)

The Fellbrigg Regular Drinkers (in womens skirts)

The charity match, in the 1980's a fairly regular annual event, was to raise money for St. Lukes Hospice

Pete Orton, well known local character, frequent drinker in the Fellbrigg and lifelong Sheffield United fan was to be man of the match

I have recently found 8 colour slides and 200feet of 8mm film (about 16 minutes worth) of a Fellbrigg pub Charity Football Match dated 1986.

Obviously I can't do a lot with the 8mm film on here but I have scanned the 8 colour slides.

Sorry about the quality. they were taken on 3M Ferraniacolour film and reversal processed by me, so all vey amateur.

The match is between

The Fellbrigg FC Sunday league team (in proper kit)

The Fellbrigg Regular Drinkers (in womens skirts)

The charity match, in the 1980's a fairly regular annual event, was to raise money for St. Lukes Hospice

Pete Orton, well known local character, frequent drinker in the Fellbrigg and lifelong Sheffield United fan was to be man of the match

Some match shots looking downfield at those long gone iconic tower blocks on the Norfolk Park estate.

Some match shots looking downfield at those long gone iconic tower blocks on the Norfolk Park estate.

Upfield match shots showing the Arbourthorne Estate, Eastern Avenue and Arbourthorne Road

Upfield match shots showing the Arbourthorne Estate, Eastern Avenue and Arbourthorne Road

Injury time

Or is he just overacting like the professionals do <_<

Anyway, he was alright after a pint of Tetleys back in the Fellbrigg lol

Injury time

Or is he just overacting like the professionals do <_<

Anyway, he was alright after a pint of Tetleys back in the Fellbrigg lol

Unfortunately I can't remember the final score, - not that it matters in a charity match.

It made very little for charity as the turn out to these Sunday morning matches was usually low, sometimes only a dozen or so people watching.

Just a few mates from the boozer and the teams WAG's :(

Guest wayneybabes

Here are some pictures of a Sunday morning football match on the field in September 1981. "The Fellbrigg" are playing "The Horse and Lion"

Sorry about the quality, - Minox subminiature camera with 9.5mm film.

i cannot remember where Arbourthorne EA/The Fellbrigg went on to play but in around 1985 to early to mid nineties, the pitch on this was occupied on sunday mornings by Vulcan Dynamoes FC (i know as my dad was manager lol ).Used to feel sorry for the players if the ball was kicked wide and went all the way down the hill to the bottom field lol

The bottom pitch where the changing rooms were was played on by Vulcan FC on saturdays and Norfolk Park T.A. on sundays

i cannot remember where Arbourthorne EA/The Fellbrigg went on to play but in around 1985 to early to mid nineties, the pitch on this was occupied on sunday mornings by Vulcan Dynamoes FC (i know as my dad was manager lol ).Used to feel sorry for the players if the ball was kicked wide and went all the way down the hill to the bottom field lol

The bottom pitch where the changing rooms were was played on by Vulcan FC on saturdays and Norfolk Park T.A. on sundays

Agree Dave, they are great pictures and bring back lots of memories - thank you.

Wayneybabes - ask your dad who he played for before becoming Manager of the Vulcan team, as I cant remember! Can remember him on many occasions coming back home covered in mud though. I did on a handful of occasions go and watch on a Sunday morning, but I think that was more to do with which player looked best in shorts rather than the more serious aspects of the actual game he he

As regards earlier comments on this thread, I can remember going to see Stuart Hall and his gang in 1971 - it was the talk of the Arbourthorne and people came from miles around to watch it - it was great fun lol

I bet you don't know him though wayneybabes as he was a real Unitedite. He wouldn't have liked your avitar :angry: , or the previous one :(

Pete was also one of my friends from the Norfolk school disabled unit.

Never let his disabilities stop him from doing anything, - going on holidays, playing football for charity, drinking in pubs.

A great guy.

The Vulcan, another lost pub, now gone.

I would assume that like the Fellbrigg their football team, the Vulcan Dynamoes is long gone along with the pub they represented :(

Agree Dave, they are great pictures and bring back lots of memories - thank you.

Wayneybabes - ask your dad who he played for before becoming Manager of the Vulcan team, as I cant remember! Can remember him on many occasions coming back home covered in mud though. I did on a handful of occasions go and watch on a Sunday morning, but I think that was more to do with which player looked best in shorts rather than the more serious aspects of the actual game he he

As regards earlier comments on this thread, I can remember going to see Stuart Hall and his gang in 1971 - it was the talk of the Arbourthorne and people came from miles around to watch it - it was great fun lol

The thing I remember about it was my uncle Tony turning up at our house the day of the event with as many Cuneo's ice cream vans he could muster and making a record days takings. It was ice creams (Cuneo's of course) all round that day.

Guest transit

The Vulcan, another lost pub, now gone.

I would assume that like the Fellbrigg their football team, the Vulcan Dynamoes is long gone along with the pub they represented :(

...was.nt this pub the one with the large panoramic window(s) at the rear which had superb views over the football pitches ?

Guest wayneybabes

...was.nt this pub the one with the large panoramic window(s) at the rear which had superb views over the football pitches ?

thats correct, yes. Ideal for watching Vulcan FC on a cold morning. Just a shame i wasnt old enough at the time lol

Guest wayneybabes

Wayneybabes - ask your dad who he played for before becoming Manager of the Vulcan team, as I cant remember!

I asked him and even he cant remember, he had more clubs than Tiger Woods lol

not quite as many women mind lol

Guest wayneybabes

I bet you don't know him though wayneybabes as he was a real Unitedite. He wouldn't have liked your avitar :angry: , or the previous one :(

Pete was also one of my friends from the Norfolk school disabled unit.

Never let his disabilities stop him from doing anything, - going on holidays, playing football for charity, drinking in pubs.

A great guy.

I dont know him but my Dad and Sister recognised him straight away on the photo.

Also, the house on the photo second from left over the tree is the house i was born in, number 365 lol

Yes it had a large window on the side which faced down the field along the edge of Northern Avenue. seen here on theleft of the building

As the changing rooms were lower down they often played on the field closest to Northern Avenue and the Vulcan lounge bar window would give a great view of the match looking down the pitch from the top goalmouth. Looks a bit like this

Also, on 7 November 1999 they would have given a great view of the demolition of both of the Guildford tower blocks which stood on Norfolk Park estate just down from the corner of Northern Avenue / Spring Lane as the "safety exclusion zone" came half way up the field to just in front of the Vulcan.

I dont know him but my Dad and Sister recognised him straight away on the photo.

Also, the house on the photo second from left over the tree is the house i was born in, number 365 lol

wayneybabes birthplace on a DaveH picture :blink:

Most people on the Arbourthorne know Pete, - he is a real local character.

wayneybabes birthplace on a DaveH picture :blink:

Most people on the Arbourthorne know Pete, - he is a real local character.

Boozing in the Fellbrigg in 1981

Relaxing on holiday on Chesil Beach, Dorset, 1984