Arbourthorne Playing Fields

DaveH

Oh what a shame :( I would have thought the viewing window over the playing fields had it remained, would have been a talking point for those of us who remember it from The Vulcan days and something different for newcomers. Seems really boring replacing it with those windows shown in your pic.

The viewing window was there in 2009, but boarded up like all the other windows, while the building was awaiting refurbishment.

I may have posted this picture before earlier in this topic

The viewing window was there in 2009, but boarded up like all the other windows, while the building was awaiting refurbishment.

I may have posted this picture before earlier in this topic

Thanks for posting the photo - brings back memories of the viewing window. They were crazy not to keep it. :o

Thanks for posting the photo - brings back memories of the viewing window. They were crazy not to keep it. :o

If you put the picture from post #124, view from Algar Place with the picture from post #126 as a sort of "then & now" pair (2012 and 2009 respctively) then, even though they are not from quite the same viewpoint you can get a good idea of what the exact changes and modification to the building have been.

If you put the picture from post #124, view from Algar Place with the picture from post #126 as a sort of "then & now" pair (2012 and 2009 respctively) then, even though they are not from quite the same viewpoint you can get a good idea of what the exact changes and modification to the building have been.

Thanks - have done that. Still find it sad - that viewing window was a feature that should have remained. :(

Thanks - have done that. Still find it sad - that viewing window was a feature that should have remained. :(

Well, I can't think of any other pub that had a similar feature, and what a view it was, on a clear day you could see right across Sheffield.

It seems that just about everyone knew Pete.

He was a real character that everyone knew and liked.

Sheffield used to have loads of well known characters about town didn't it

Seems that Pete could be the end of a lond tradition, you don't get characters like that any more.

Hope it was him Steve and he is keeping well, he will be 65 at the end of this month as his birthday was between Christmas and New Year, - always an extra party in the festive season down at the Fellbrig

I have definitely seen Pete this week !

Was outside City Road shops at Manor Top, he was driving a mobility scooter.

:)

I have definitely seen Pete this week !

Was outside City Road shops at Manor Top, he was driving a mobility scooter.

:)

Yes that will have been him.

He now lives in the sheltered housing on the site of what was the Carlton Cinema on Eastern Avenue.

As my mum lives just over the road we see him fairly regularly.

These days both Pete (due to his lifelong disability getting worse as he gets older) and my mum (due to her age and joint replacement operations) get around the estate to do their shopping on mobility scooters.

The main field is to the north of Eastern Avenue and is bounded by Eastern Avenue, Northern Avenue and Arbourthorne Road.

The northern edge is open but ends in a steep bank which drops down towards Park Grange Road, overlooking the Norfolk Park Estate and giving a good panoramic view of the City centre beyond

The south eastern corner of this area is intruded onto by the Vic Hallam housing on Algar Road, Algar Drive and Algar Place.

attachicon.gifFieldside.jpg

The maps in post #2 and #3 are copyright Google maps.

Fair in an Unidentified Location, picturesheffield

not an unidentified location is it, Northern Avenue on the right, 2 Guildford blocks close to and a couple of the 3 St. Aidens blocks further back. This is definately Arbourthorne Playing Fields lower section nearest to Norfolk Park, - the bit I used to run across to look over the embankment to see the City that lies beyond

not an unidentified location is it, Northern Avenue on the right, 2 Guildford blocks close to and a couple of the 3 St. Aidens blocks further back. This is definately Arbourthorne Playing Fields lower section nearest to Norfolk Park, - the bit I used to run across to look over the embankment to see the City that lies beyond

Agree, however, my memory must be rubbish because I cant remember the fair being there - does anyone remember going?

Agree, however, my memory must be rubbish because I cant remember the fair being there - does anyone remember going?

Looks like they came up with a date and location, 1974 - picturesheffield

Guest wayneybabes

my Dad (Your Brother!) remembers it!. He says there was the best Prize Bingo he has ever known, not like the crap you win nowadays!

the date of 1974 means i was in babe in mums arms. Wonder if she was playing Prize Bingo and shouted 'ERE and dropped me on mi head? :)

Guest wayneybabes

Well, I can't think of any other pub that had a similar feature, and what a view it was, on a clear day you could see right across Sheffield.

didnt the Horse & Lion on Park Grange Road have a similar window?

could be wrong but im sure i have seen another pub in Sheffield with one similar

could be wrong but im sure i have seen another pub in Sheffield with one similar

Jervis Lum possibly had a similar window.

Horse and Lion in my memory had long narrow vertical slit windows, so that when there was trouble (as there frequently was) it was impossible to throw tables, chairs, the jukebox etc. through the window.

my Dad (Your Brother!) remembers it!. He says there was the best Prize Bingo he has ever known, not like the crap you win nowadays!

the date of 1974 means i was in babe in mums arms. Wonder if she was playing Prize Bingo and shouted 'ERE and dropped me on mi head? :)

I can remember the "It's a knock out" on the field in 1971, and also the follow up International "Je sans frontiers" in Norfolk Park in 1972, but I can only vaguely remember a fair being there after. I did not attend it like the other two events.

Yes, it looks like it was the Jervis Lum that had the similar large viewing window.

However, theirs was actually a series of smaller windows and not one big window, and it didn't point in a direction to give a view over the City, - just across Park Grange Road!

Guest wayneybabes

Jervis Lum possibly had a similar window.

Horse and Lion in my memory had long narrow vertical slit windows, so that when there was trouble (as there frequently was) it was impossible to throw tables, chairs, the jukebox etc. through the window.

i stand corrected, though i am sure i have seen one very similar somewhere!

i stand corrected, though i am sure i have seen one very similar somewhere!

One of those pubs down Leighton Road / Blackstock Road / Gleadless Road area had a similar very large viewing window.

Can't remember which one it was though, The Byards Leap? The Wyvern? The Blackstock?

Guest plain talker

One of those pubs down Leighton Road / Blackstock Road / Gleadless Road area had a similar very large viewing window.

Can't remember which one it was though, The Byards Leap? The Wyvern? The Blackstock?

The Blackstock, on Newfield Green shops is similar age/ style to the Jervis Lum, that may be the one you may be thinking of .

The Bayard's is similar,too, but the Wyvern, The Gaunt and The Horse and Groom were all built in a "house" style rather than the 1960s block-y style of the Jervis and the Blackstock.

Blackstock, here:-

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=53.355516,-1.448999&spn=0.000724,0.00092&t=h&z=20

not much to see of the Bayard's, and its window but here's a pic

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=53.357456,-1.447395&spn=0.000724,0.00092&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=53.357456,-1.44765&panoid=dNbrNOJMs_udBAIXWw8ahA&cbp=12,45.47,,0,1.25

(what an utter eyesore!)

looking at the pics, on first glance, I would say that the Blackstock and the Bayard's were more alike, compared to each other, than they were to the Jervis Lum, although they were all built around the same time, with almost identical housing around them (remember the three blocks of maisonettes around the Bayards, on Daresbury? same architecture as the maisonettes on Newfield Green shops, and behind the Jervis Lum).

The Jervis was really just a "bay-windowed" version of the Blackstock and the Bayard's.