Spring Leigh, Rundle Road, Sheffield

Guest seadog

Guest seadog

Having seen this amazing house and found out a little of its history just wondering if any one can tell me anymore about it thanks,

I fell in love with it and would love to know more about it from what I have found out the garden was designed by the same person who did the botanical gardens

Guest Jeremy

From the Sheffield Pevsner Architectural Guide, p. 232:

Back in Rundle Road, No. 16 Spring Leigh is a little-altered classical villa of 1868 for Henry Booth, cutlery manufacturer. Fine door-case with attached Corinthian columns, tripartite windows in Gibbs surrounds on the first floor and a hipped roof with a lantern. Extensive gardens laid out by Robert Marnock.

The layout of the house and grounds is shown on map 267

Having seen this amazing house and found out a little of its history just wondering if any one can tell me anymore about it thanks,

I fell in love with it and would love to know more about it from what I have found out the garden was designed by the same person who did the botanical gardens

Occupied 1919-1925 by one Leonard Slater a Metal Broker of George Slater Limited. Leonard moved from 102 Derbyshire Lane, Meersbrook where he lived in 1911.

Also on Rundle Road at Kenwood Knoll was Charles Burrows Flockton F.R.I.B.A. (Architect) from 1911-1925.

I've passed this house for years and wondered about it. It was (or so I thought) derilict for a long time, being so overgrown that there was little or no access to the front door.

Just recently I stopped outside to eat a sandwich and realised there was a light on in an upstairs window and the gateway and path were clear. A closer look revealed modern dustbins and a push bike chained up by the door.

I've tried to get photos over the years but the overgrown garden prevents it.

Here's the best I could do on the mobile a couple of months ago.

and one, that's a bit more use, of the front door.