Derwent Reservoir

Sheffield History

I remember as a kid driving past Derwent on a couple of occasions when on the way to somewhere really special for a day out or holiday.

The story was told about there being a town underneath the water and in those days you could see the top of the church spire poking out (or that's what I was told it was)

Always held a certain magic about it - although a bit spooky too

Guest tsavo

Ashopton and Derwent were the villages flooded to make the dam. It was Derwent church that used to be visible when levels dropped.

Guest The General

Yeah, Me and the missus spend a lot of time up there and especially in "The Yorkshire Bridge" pub just next to the dam,

The story has it that the church could be viewed at certain times of year when the water level was low (Summer etc) and in the winter time it would be under the water level and not visible.

There was plenty of safety issues with people swimming out to the church in high summer so the decision was made to dynamite the spire. This was done around 1950 i believe.

Incidentally, the bodies from the graveyard where exhumed and re-buried in Bamford

The General

Brilliant pics thanks

Welcome to Sheffieldhistory cutiecavies and thank you for posting.

Having spent the last few days suffering from toothache on the lower, rearmost, left side molar wisdom tooth and having faced the prospect of having to find a dentist and possibly visit one for the first time in over 40 years I must say that I find the username "cutiecavies" a bit offputting, - although I am sure there is not a dentistry connection.

Guest cutiecavies

Haha no DaveH Cutiecavies are Guinea Pigs (Cavies) I run a forum and website dedicated to the little furries :)

Am I aloud to post links? If so they are:

www.cutiecavies.proboards.com

www.grosvenorguineas.bravehost.com

If not sorry in advance

Hope your toothache get better very soon.

Dawn

Haha no DaveH Cutiecavies are Guinea Pigs (Cavies) I run a forum and website dedicated to the little furries :)

Am I aloud to post links? If so they are:

www.cutiecavies.proboards.com

www.grosvenorguineas.bravehost.com

If not sorry in advance

Hope your toothache get better very soon.

Dawn

Sorry cutiecavies, at the time I was preoccupied with toothache, which has now thankfully cleared itself up, and didn't think that cavies were guinea pigs, - and I should have known that!

About 13 years ago when my son was young he had a guinea pig which the pet shop assisstant assured us was male (it turned out it wasn't). He was also given a second guinea pig by his auntie who gave him a male one, thinking the one he already had was also male.

No prizes for guessing what happened, - we ended up with several litters of baby cuticavies, which were also difficult to sort out into seperate sexes while they were young.

We kept guinea pigs for several years but soon felt we were being over run by their rapid reproductive cycles and litters of around 3 to 6 every time.

We ended up with around 40 of them and in 2003 decided enough was enough.

We gave a couple of them, carefully selected same sex, to my friend Stuart for his kids.

We donated exactly 30 of them to pets corner at Graves Park Rare Breed Centre. At the time Graves Park RBC was selling guinea pigs as pets for £10 each and all the funds were used to support the rare breeds, so it was like a £300 donatation to this excellent local centre.

We kept 6 (3 male and 3 female, in seperate hutches) of them for the rest of their lives without any further breeding, the last one dying in 2006.

I must admit that of all the rodents kept as pets, guinea pigs are my favourites.