Miss Sheffield - Barbra Ponsford

Sheffield History

Butlins 1969

Miss Butlins 1969

Looking down the list of Miss Butlins, does anyone remember Delyse Humphrys 1962?

She went on to have her own modelling school. I didn't she cause a stir by getting married

in black satin? :o

Looking down the list of Miss Butlins, does anyone remember Delyse Humphrys 1962?

She went on to have her own modelling school. I didn't she cause a stir by getting married

in black satin? :o

It appears that Miss Humphreys is another local Sheffield beauty

Delyse Humphries

There's another Sheffield lass on there id 1978 - Christine Owen

see here :

http://sheffieldmemories.wordpress.com/

That makes at least 4 Sheffield beauty Queens then.

Always said our lasses were the best ;-)lol

Also link has a nice article about Newfield School.

I did one of my teaching practice sessions there as a student in the 1970's so found it interesting.

Newfield School is currently undergoing extensive rebuild and refurbishment.

Guest Betsy E

I was at school with Barbara (she may have changed the spelling - dropping the second 'a' to make it more distinctive maybe?) Ponsford. She was blonde and gorgeous even when she was 11. We plain Janes were very jealous of her. She was Barbara Hadfield then and her mother was also jaw-droppingly gorgeous. She (Barbara - her mum had a very distinctive first name: can't remember it, though) married Alan Ponsford - the youngest of (I think) the three Ponsford boys. The very same who owned Ponsford's furniture shop. Not sure if it's still there. He was at the same school - Dronfield Henry Fanshawe (formerly Dronfield Grammar) - and was a brilliant athlete and scholar. Also very good-looking and very wealthy. So we were even more envious . . .

I was at school with Barbara (she may have changed the spelling - dropping the second 'a' to make it more distinctive maybe?) Ponsford. She was blonde and gorgeous even when she was 11. We plain Janes were very jealous of her. She was Barbara Hadfield then and her mother was also jaw-droppingly gorgeous. She (Barbara - her mum had a very distinctive first name: can't remember it, though) married Alan Ponsford - the youngest of (I think) the three Ponsford boys. The very same who owned Ponsford's furniture shop. Not sure if it's still there. He was at the same school - Dronfield Henry Fanshawe (formerly Dronfield Grammar) - and was a brilliant athlete and scholar. Also very good-looking and very wealthy. So we were even more envious . . .

Thanks for the additional information on Barbara there Betsy E and welcome to Sheffield History.

Seems this "Miss Sheffield" is actually a North Derbyshire lass if she lived at Dronfield, - but not too far out.

Not a good idea to miss the second a out of her name.

That would leave it as Barbra

Bar is a prfix meaning "without" or "short of" (as in the expression "bar none"), and bra is a shortened form of a ladies undergarment (brassiere)

Put the 2 together and it translates as "without a bra" :o

Thanks for the additional information on Barbara there Betsy E and welcome to Sheffield History.

Seems this "Miss Sheffield" is actually a North Derbyshire lass if she lived at Dronfield, - but not too far out.

Not a good idea to miss the second a out of her name.

That would leave it as Barbra

Bar is a prfix meaning "without" or "short of" (as in the expression "bar none"), and bra is a shortened form of a ladies undergarment (brassiere)

Put the 2 together and it translates as "without a bra" :o

Sounds good to me :rolleyes:

Sounds good to me :rolleyes:

Got the derivation from my wifes name, Debra, (spelt like that) as the prefix "de" also means "without" or even "to remove" as in the words "detoxify" and "deionise".

On here, somewhere

Who is/was she ? Not a name I know.

We can embed Pathe news video now

<h2>MISS GREAT BRITAIN</h2><iframe src="http://www.britishpathe.com/embed.php?archive=45426" name="pathe_flash_embed" width="352" height="264" scrolling="no" frameborder="1"><p>Your browser does not support iframes.</p></iframe>

Guest Betsy E

I never thought of her as a women's libber!

Remembered her glamorous mum's name, by the way: Dallas. And that was before the tv series! Isn't it strange what we remember about people? Thought of something else - they lived on a farm, I'm pretty sure.

By the way I'm still not sure how this site works. I may have posted the same message twice, so please bear with me 'til I get used to it.

Remembered her glamorous mum's name, by the way: Dallas. And that was before the tv series! Isn't it strange what we remember about people? Thought of something else - they lived on a farm, I'm pretty sure.

By the way I'm still not sure how this site works. I may have posted the same message twice, so please bear with me 'til I get used to it.

Don't worry about it Betsy E, I've been here forever and still don't know what I'm doing. The others keep me right.

I'm sure she wasn't a womens libber, - they would never have approved of beauty contests and Miss World contests would they? They would have seen them as degrading to women and protested about them rather than entering (and winning) them! lol

Have we any idea what happened to Barbara and what she is doing now?

Another Pathe which includes her. This time from 1967 Pathe video(I tried to embed the video but I got - Your browser does not support (something) ?)

Edit: - now this has happened. Everything is on one line

Another Pathe which includes her. This time from 1967 Pathe video(I tried to embed the video but I got - Your browser does not support (something) ?)

Edit: - now this has happened. Everything is on one line

Looks like we have more technical problems with embedded videos then vox.

I have noticed that although the Pathe videos offer to embed they don't open on site, instead they open in a new tab just as thought you had put a link in instead.

I like that picture of Barbara you have posted though,

It's clearly raining because those blokes have got their umbrellas up, but Barbara's not bothered about getting wet in the rain because she's in her swimsuit. lol

Guest Betsy E

No - I was trying to be ironic! It was the comment about 'barbra' meaning ' without a bra' that made me think of the women's libbers. Maybe I'm the only one round here old enough to remember them burning their bras. . .

Not sure what happened to Barbara though I'm still in contact with some old Dronfeldians. Maybe I'll try and find out.

Think I'm going to enjoy this site once I've got a bit more confidence. Great picture of Barbara, by the way. Exactly how I remember her.

Guest Betsy E

Amazing! I've just watched the video. Where do you find these things? I'm very impressed!

No - I was trying to be ironic! It was the comment about 'barbra' meaning ' without a bra' that made me think of the women's libbers. Maybe I'm the only one round here old enough to remember them burning their bras. . .

Not sure what happened to Barbara though I'm still in contact with some old Dronfeldians. Maybe I'll try and find out.

Think I'm going to enjoy this site once I've got a bit more confidence. Great picture of Barbara, by the way. Exactly how I remember her.

Yes I can remember them burning their bras, - silly girls, - can't have been much good for their posture and figures in later years of life when things start to generally sag a bit :o

Barbra meaning "without a bra" is just an example of my wierd sense of humour. I didn't particularly like or enjoy English at school although I was quite good at it. Having a science and maths interest meant that I always disliked the lack of logic in the way words and language is structured, although the actual structure and use of words fasinated me. Then I discovered how to twist words round, alter their meanings and generally have fun with them in a comedic sort of way. Ronnie Barker was an absolute master at doing this, e.g four candles = fork handles. I'm sure my interpretation of both Barbra and Debra are just examples of this.

Dronfieldians, - now that's an interesting word, - one I have not come across before.

I suppose it's a bit like us calling ourselves "Sheffielders"