Miss Sheffield - Barbra Ponsford

Sheffield History

Came across this on t'internet

Around 1968 a Barbra Ponsford was making a name for herself winning beauty competitions

Does anyone have any information on this or even pictures ?

I know one of the competitions won was at Butlins

Around 1968 a Barbra Ponsford was making a name for herself winning beauty competitions

Barbara Ponsford 1968 New Brighton.

Barbara Ponsford 1969 Butlins Holiday Princess

There was a Ponsford's furniture store at the bottom of Chesterfield Rd.

If she was Miss Sheffield when was it ? Was she Sheffield born ?

If she was Miss Sheffield when was it ? Was she Sheffield born ?

If you search "Barbara Ponsford+Sheffield on Google the top result is this topic <_<

If you search "Barbara Ponsford+Sheffield on Google the top result is this topic <_<

I have just tried it

When I tried it the ONLY result Google threw back at me was a link to this very thread on Sheffield History :o

Sort of implies that we are the only ones who know anything about this subject then ;-)

I have just tried it

When I tried it the ONLY result Google threw back at me was a link to this very thread on Sheffield History :o

Sort of implies that we are the only ones who know anything about this subject then ;-)

Implies Admin couldn't spell Barbara !

Implies Admin couldn't spell Barbara !

That would explain it, - I used admins spelling and not Stuarts because Stuart couldn't spell "female" the other day lol

That would explain it, - I used admins spelling and not Stuarts because Stuart couldn't spell "female" the other day lol

So Admin spell Barbara wrong and gets to the top of Google results lol

So Admin spell Barbara wrong and gets to the top of Google results lol

So Stuart spells Female wrong and gets a load of old iron delivered in the post :blink:

..and you've changed your avitar back to that one with you and your Rodley Inn guard dog instead of you pushing your little sister around on a bike.

In the early 70's Christine Owen was awarded the title Miss ? - could have been 'England', she lived lived in Heeley at the time,

and along with the title she was presented with a brand new yellow Austin Mini.

There was a Ponsford's furniture store at the bottom of Chesterfield Rd.

There still is a Ponsford's furniture shop on Chesterfield Road

In the early 70's Christine Owen was awarded the title Miss ? - could have been 'England', she lived lived in Heeley at the time,

and along with the title she was presented with a brand new yellow Austin Mini.

WOW!!!

A beauty champion came from.....

Heeley

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

P.S. Don't you love the professional backdrop?

A much better pose of Miss P. Wood on the Cinencenta balcony with the Park Hill flats as a professional backdrop

[OK Stuart I know you can see the join, - but her picture was on a very blocky newsprint!!]

A much better pose of Miss P. Wood on the Cinencenta balcony with the Park Hill flats as a professional backdrop

[OK Stuart I know you can see the join, - but her picture was on a very blocky newsprint!!]

Hi DaveH

Sorry for my lapse of memory could you please remind me what the buildings behind the SUT booking offices were

please, I can not recall seeing them before or am i having a senior moment.

Hi DaveH

Sorry for my lapse of memory could you please remind me what the buildings behind the SUT booking offices were

please, I can not recall seeing them before or am i having a senior moment.

Seem to have forgotten myself syrup. :unsure:

However, when I originally posted this picture over a year ago, without the presence of Miss Sheffield, I am sure someone replied saying what those buildings were.

I think it is in either the Pond Street Bus Station or the Threepenny Bit Kiosk threads but I can't place it at present.

If I do I'll do a link fairy thing to it.

Seem to have forgotten myself syrup. :unsure:

However, when I originally posted this picture over a year ago, without the presence of Miss Sheffield, I am sure someone replied saying what those buildings were.

I think it is in either the Pond Street Bus Station or the Threepenny Bit Kiosk threads but I can't place it at present.

If I do I'll do a link fairy thing to it.

The answer may be lurking in here...

Pond Street Bus Station

...said the friendly link fairy.

The large building is part of Joseph Rodgers & Sons factory. The name Rodgers is just about visible on a short tower or chimney stack above the parked up buses on the right of the picture.

Thank you all for that information i must have driven past it hundreds of times when on the Buses

even fetched buses of the bus park in front of it and i could not for the life of me remember the

building, old age cant be good for you and i am only 61.

Butlins 1969

Miss Butlins 1969