The Rex

GrinderBloke

When I heard that Rex Cinema was being demolished I took my pocket instamatic camera and got there just in time!

Gud on ya.

Glad someone got it.

When I heard that Rex Cinema was being demolished I took my pocket instamatic camera and got there just in time!

Thank goodness for people like you - what FAB photos - can remember going to the cinema and queuing around the corner. :)

Thank goodness for people like you - what FAB photos - can remember going to the cinema and queuing around the corner. :)

How long ago though Suzy?

What film did you see?

I remember going to see Battle of Britain there. My most vivid memory though of it was the bit were Christopher Plummer tells a pilot off for doing a victory roll, saying something like "you could have been spreaded over the field like strawberry jam". The reason being that the film must have broken at the point he says "strawberry" on a previous occassion leading to a bad splice by the projectionist, so there was a nasty jump! Everytime the film is on TV now I'm waiting for it to jump! But it never does. :)

Incidentally the bit were the pilot of a spitfire bails out but his shoot never opens was not meant to happen apparently. It was one of the last pieces of aerial combat to be shot. They had a dummy and tried several times to get the shoot to open, but it never did, time ran out, so the shot was kept in. It has become one of the iconic images of the film.

I remember going to see Battle of Britain there.

I remember going to see The Battle of Britain at Studio 7.

Saw The Sound of Music at the Rex.

I can remember not only queuing round the corner but getting nearly to the front to be told sorry full up and going home crying. That would be around 1950 before we got a TV. I can't remember what the first film I saw was but it was a comedy one. I remember Carousel 7 brides for 7 brothers, The Robe and Oklahoma. I went to see these with my best friend so was quite grown up by then.

How long ago though Suzy?

What film did you see?

Will ask my Sister when I see her next week - is she cant remember either, it must have been pretty boring! :)

I drive past the Rex site on my way to Hillsborough and never ever fail to remember it with fondness. From 1975 until it closed I visited the sweet shop once a month with my job. I had to go at teatime when they were opening and Miss Ward/the staff always let me watch the film afterwards.

Guest Arch Stanton

I can remember going to see The Cat From Outer Space and Moonraker there...and falling asleep after the first 10 minutes of them both.

I can remember going to see The Cat From Outer Space and Moonraker there...and falling asleep after the first 10 minutes of them both.

I'm with you on that one Arch......."Moonraker" is definitely the worst Bond film ever.

Ironically, it's one of the best, and my favourite of the Bond books - which are all better than the movies anyway !

The film does however have one of the loveliest theme songs of the series, warbled by Shirl on her third time out in the Bond movies.

I've still never caught up with the ***** cat though.

The only films I watched at that cinema were two Elvis films, King Creole and Jailhouse Rock the week after.

I went with my step cousin who lived over that way. This would be in the late fifties.

I remember that the films were certificate A rated for some reason and we asked an elderly lady to take us in. She insisted on sitting next to us and kept tut-tutting when she thought the content wasn't suitable for us.

HD

The only films I watched at that cinema were two Elvis films, King Creole and Jailhouse Rock the week after.

I went with my step cousin who lived over that way. This would be in the late fifties.

I remember that the films were certificate A rated for some reason and we asked an elderly lady to take us in. She insisted on sitting next to us and kept tut-tutting when she thought the content wasn't suitable for us.

HD

Two of Elvis's best films, made when he was the King of rock and roll and before he was drafted into the US armed forces.

In the his early years Elvis was considered a bad influence on young people and his hip gyrating "Elvis the pelvis" dance moves were considered sexually provocative. Either of these may account for it's A certificate.

The hip gyrating dancing was best summed up in a Stan Freberg comedy song called "Television" about the dangers of watching TV all day and being influenced by what was shown on it.

I turn on Elvis Presley and my daughter scream

I fear she have a nervous breakdown, 'cause of him

I wonder why he wiggle- waggle to the beat

As a boy he must have had a loose bicycle seat.

Stan Freberg records often sent up well known stars of the day, and Elvis came in for this treatment with a version of "Heartbreak Hotel" in which the echo machine goes beserk.

It ruined the ending, - the most beautiful part in the whole piece!

I remember that the films were certificate A rated for some reason and we asked an elderly lady to take us in.

HD

I think that was the accepted practice in those days HD, but usually once you were in you just parted company. I remember me and my mate Frank Weldon wanting to see a particular gangster film at the Unity on Langsett road, we were lucky the old chap in front of us was 3d short so we said we would pay it for him if he would take us in. When you tell the grandkids what we did then they just don`t believe it. W/E.

Good memories of the Rex - saw my first film 'Born Free' there and then many others - I remember going to see Grease in '78 and the whole audience was singing along to all the songs lol

I clicked on a couple of the links to photos, but could not view them. Is there a problem with them or is it me?

I'm trying to recall the films I saw, either with my dad or a bit later on with my best friend Jon (still best friends 50+ years later!) at the Rex or the Manor. I know that the very first, which Dad took me to, was a US Civil War drama called The Great Locomotive Chase. Dad also took me to watch Johnny Tremaine, also a Disney film, about the US War of Independence.

Later viewings included Play It Cool (starring Billy Fury) and Guns Of Navarone, also one of Elvis' many flicks but I can't remember which one.

I clicked on a couple of the links to photos, but could not view them. Is there a problem with them or is it me?

Thank you for reporting,dead links now repaired.

I'm trying to recall the films I saw, either with my dad or a bit later on with my best friend Jon (still best friends 50+ years later!) at the Rex or the Manor. I know that the very first, which Dad took me to, was a US Civil War drama called The Great Locomotive Chase. Dad also took me to watch Johnny Tremaine, also a Disney film, about the US War of Independence.

Later viewings included Play It Cool (starring Billy Fury) and Guns Of Navarone, also one of Elvis' many flicks but I can't remember which one.

Athy.......Walt Disney's "The Great Locomotive Chase" ( with Fess Parker & Jeffrey Hunter ) played at the Rex, w/c Jan 21st, 1957.

I don't have a record for the Rex to hand, but ....Disney's "Johnny Tremain" ( paired with a re-issue of "Bambi" ) first played at the Gaumont w/c January 6th, 1958. This means that it would have reached the Rex a few weeks later, or, as it was a Disney programme, it may have been held back for the next school holidays that year ( Easter ???).

TheGreatLocomotiveChase_zps3e84cb6b.jpg

6145702116_9a504f38d5_z_zps9ecb7eed.jpg

On 9/1/2007, 9:46:01, carlie167 said:

Heres another one of the Rex, its the board outside advertising childrens matinees. We took this in March 82 and it closd the following December.

post-1238-1188679497_thumb.jpgi

I use to go every sat afternoon matinee from working with my uncle on the bread van delivering use to meet some nice girls here also evening movies were always top notch