When Saturday Comes

Sheffield History

On ‎22‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 21:44, Thorntons girl said:

It was badly acted, no Sheffield-er had an accent that most of those actors spoke

Sean Bean was too good for the movie, he shone in it and he got to play for Sheff United, a dream of his.

Did anyone know that his girlfriend who spoke Irish badly was Triggers(Fools and horses) daughter??

Enough said!!

Kim St Clair, nee McVeigh, my late partner was a big fan of Sean Bean. She always proudly said that when in their early teens they would knock around Pitsmoor together.  Much to her annoyance we would always smile and take it with a pinch of salt. Though, who knows?  W/E.

Wow that is interesting, she wouldn't say it if it wasn't true would she?

I would love to meet Sean Bean, he is such an amazing actor and he was fantastic in his latest role in Broken(See my link)

Has anyone met him?

On ‎29‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 23:23, Thorntons girl said:

Wow that is interesting, she wouldn't say it if it wasn't true would she?

Kim was not someone who would make up stories.  I will get in touch with her siblings and see what they have to say. I think most of us are guilty of not asking too many questions at the time, only to regret it later. W/E.

On ‎22‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 21:44, Thorntons girl said:

It was badly acted, no Sheffield-er had an accent that most of those actors spoke

Sean Bean was too good for the movie, he shone in it and he got to play for Sheff United, a dream of his.

Did anyone know that his girlfriend who spoke Irish badly was Triggers(Fools and horses) daughter??

Enough said!!

Do you mean Emily Lloyd, I think she's great.

On 7/31/2017 at 08:20, Waterside Echo said:

Kim was not someone who would make up stories.  I will get in touch with her siblings and see what they have to say. I think most of us are guilty of not asking too many questions at the time, only to regret it later. W/E.

I think we are all guilty of that, I wished I had listened more to my Granddad when he spoke of the war and listened more to my parents.

They were interesting people and if I could pass on any words of Wisdom to the young of today, it would be to listen to the old stories, you can learn a lot from them and they are worth listening to. You dont want to regret not taking an interest.

I would be interested to hear what Kim's relatives say W/E. thanks/

On ‎02‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 20:28, Thorntons girl said:

I think we are all guilty of that, I wished I had listened more to my Granddad when he spoke of the war and listened more to my parents.

They were interesting people and if I could pass on any words of Wisdom to the young of today, it would be to listen to the old stories, you can learn a lot from them and they are worth listening to. You dont want to regret not taking an interest.

I would be interested to hear what Kim's relatives say W/E. thanks/

It turns out that Kim moved away from Pitsmoor in her early teens. It was very probably a friendship were everyone hung around together. Just like we all did in those far off days. W/E.

My dad was working at Bramall Lane when the filming took place (he's in there in a couple of places) and got to know the location manager for the film very well. So much so, their house was used as Pete Postlethwaite's (whatever his character was called) house. One of the other scenes was on their road as well (Backmoor Road) and I don't think anyone has mentioned the John O' Gaunt pub at Hemsworth terminal was used for the pub scenes.

We were there for the filming, stood behind the camera for each of the few shots that were made there as Sean Bean's character turned up to speak to him. Afterwards, they went down to the Nailmakers and we sat with Melanie Hill, Sean Bean and Pete Postlethwaite while they recounted stories of filming Sharpe and other stories I can't remember. In hindsight maybe we should have taken a few photos.

On an another positive note, the set workers fixed a door my mum had been banging on at my dad to get fixed for ages!

Jimmy's fortunes take a turn for the better after he is spotted by football manager Ken Jackson, while he's playing for his local pub team.

After playing brilliantly for Jackson, Jimmy is offered a trial at Sheffield United. However the evening before the trial he gets drunk; he wakes up feeling rough and blows his chances with SUFC.

Faced with failure, a critical father and a dismal job, Jimmy soon becomes suicidal as his problems compound: his brother dies in a mining accident, he loses his job at the brewery and his pregnant girlfriend Annie ends their relationship.

Jimmy is forced to consider his future and his choices, and to discover once and for all whether he has the self discipline to succeed.

Location Notes:

When Saturday Comes was shot on location in Sheffield and Rotherham from 15 January until 17 February 1995.

Trivia:

The film's producer, James Daly, later appeared in a comic strip photo-shoot with Sean for Viz magazine. Daly had been married to the American director of When Saturday Comes, Maria Giese, for 12 years. But by the time WSC premiered in Sheffield a year later, Giese and Daly had separated. Daly later became partner to Sean's ex-wife Melanie Hill.

Sean can be seen in Tony Hadley's music video of the song, Build Me Up, which featured on the film's soundtrack. Sean, an avid billiards player, appears in the video shooting pool. Both Sean and his then-wife Melanie Hill encouraged Hadley to contribute to the soundtrack, which features music primarily from Sheffield musicians. Sean can also be seen shooting pool in the short film, The Loser.

There was a private preview of the film during the week of 02 September 1995 for Sheffield United officials.

On 16 February 1996 (11 days prior to the Charity Premiere) six of the screens at the Warner Multiplex at Meadowhall were given over for the first public screenings of the film.

All proceeds from the Charity Premiere on 27 February 1996 were given to the British Deaf Sports Council.

When Saturday Comes was screened at the Cannes Film Festival.

When Saturday Comes had two working titles prior to its final title: A Pint O'Bitter and On the Line (Source: Screen International).

Soundtrack Info:

CD, UK 1996, Polygram TV; 532 307-2

Joe Elliot - When Saturday Comes
Anne Dudley - The Beginning
Big Wide World - Throwing It All Away
Tony Hadley - Build Me Up
Gerry & The Pacemakers - You'll Never Walk Alone
Paul Carrack - Eyes Of Blue
Big Wide World - Born To Lose
Glenn Gregory & Martin Fry - Seven Day Weekend
Jeff Beck feat. Rod Stewart - I've Been Drinking
Anne Dudley - Turning Point
Pavarotti - Nessun Dorma
Thin Lizzy - The Boys Are Back In Town
The Undertones - Jimmy Jimmy
Sham 69 - If The Kids Are United
Anne Dudley - Annie's Theme
Jeff Beck - Hi Ho Silver Lining
Paul Carrack - Back On My Feet Again
New Order - World In Motion
Anne Dudley - The Penalty
Joe Elliot - Jimmy's Theme

"When Saturday Comes"
"Jimmy's Theme"
by Joe Elliott, performed by Joe Elliott, Rick Savage, Phil Collen

"Back on My Feet Again"
"Behind Those Eyes of Blue"
written and performed by Paul Carrack

"7 Day Weekend"
by Gregory, Fry, Uriel, performed by Martin Fry and Glenn Gregory

"Build Me Up"
written and performed by Tony Hadley

"Throwing It All Away"
"Born to Lose"
by Petty, Baines, performed by Big Wide World

When Saturday Comes Cast 

Sean Bean ........... Jimmy Muir
Emily Lloyd ......... Annie Doherty
Pete Postlethwaite .. Ken Jackson
Melanie Hill ........ Mary Muir
John McEnery ........ Joe Muir
Craig Kelly ......... Russell Muir
Ann Bell ............ Sarah Muir
Ian Taylor .......... Young Jimmy Muir
Tony Currie ......... Tony Currie
Mel Sterland ........ Captain

Eqg4zc8XIAE_Nyl.jpg

Screenshot 2020-12-30 at 23.20.57.jpg

One of the When Saturday Comes film locations was in the heart of Hillsborough in the alley/lane running between Dodd Street and Langsett Road where Sean Bean can be seen taking a walk in the snow in the movie

The referee in the film was John Key. My Dad. He was a premier league referee and a huge Wednesday fan. Sadly he’s no longer with us, but I know he’d be proud of the fact this film is still getting talked about. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Darren Key said:

The referee in the film was John Key. My Dad. He was a premier league referee and a huge Wednesday fan. Sadly he’s no longer with us, but I know he’d be proud of the fact this film is still getting talked about. 

HI Darren,

Do you know which scene he was in?

Does anyone know which pit the mine accident scene was filmed at? I think it was Hatfield or Markham Main, and the mine rescue team were the actual mine rescue team playing themselves. The only place I remember seeing it mentioned was the Miners Advice website and that doesn't exist anymore.

On 02/12/2022 at 18:35, Roger Arevalo said:

Does anyone know which pit the mine accident scene was filmed at? I think it was Hatfield or Markham Main, and the mine rescue team were the actual mine rescue team playing themselves. The only place I remember seeing it mentioned was the Miners Advice website and that doesn't exist anymore.

Silverwood

• Like 1