When Saturday Comes

Sheffield History

WHEN SATURDAY COMES

51j3pV5ZFGL.jpg

post-1-1171278383.jpg

post-1-1171278390.jpg

post-1-1171278393.jpg

Maria Giese's directorial debut follows the struggle of Jimmy Muir, a 25-year-old, working class lad who dreams of becoming a football star.

Jimmy is a hard-drinking brewery worker in the city of Sheffield, with an arrogant lack of respect for authority. His entire life revolves around football (Sheffield United) and while he shows the potential, he has never had the courage or discipline to make anything of it.

Jimmy's fortunes take a turn for the better after he is spotted by football manager Ken Jackson, while he's playing for his local pub team.

After playing brilliantly for Jackson, Jimmy is offered a trial at Sheffield United. However the evening before the trial he gets drunk; he wakes up feeling rough and blows his chances with SUFC.

Faced with failure, a critical father and a dismal job, Jimmy soon becomes suicidal as his problems compound: his brother dies in a mining accident, he loses his job at the brewery and his pregnant girlfriend Annie ends their relationship.

Jimmy is forced to consider his future and his choices, and to discover once and for all whether he has the self discipline to succeed.

EXACT LOCATIONS

Sean Bean's character worked at the Stones brewery and can be seen there in many scenes - Cannon Brewery, 43 Rutland Road, Sheffield, UK, S3 8BE.

When Saturday Comes was shot on location in Sheffield and Rotherham from 15 January until 17 February 1995.

Trivia:

The film's producer, James Daly, later appeared in a comic strip photo-shoot with Sean for Viz magazine. Daly had been married to the American director of When Saturday Comes, Maria Giese, for 12 years. But by the time WSC premiered in Sheffield a year later, Giese and Daly had separated. Daly later became partner to Sean's ex-wife Melanie Hill.

Sean can be seen in Tony Hadley's music video of the song, Build Me Up, which featured on the film's soundtrack. Sean, an avid billiards player, appears in the video shooting pool. Both Sean and his then-wife Melanie Hill encouraged Hadley to contribute to the soundtrack, which features music primarily from Sheffield musicians. Sean can also be seen shooting pool in the short film, The Loser.

There was a private preview of the film during the week of 02 September 1995 for Sheffield United officials.

On 16 February 1996 (11 days prior to the Charity Premiere) six of the screens at the Warner Multiplex at Meadowhall were given over for the first public screenings of the film.

All proceeds from the Charity Premiere on 27 February 1996 were given to the British Deaf Sports Council.

When Saturday Comes was screened at the Cannes Film Festival.

When Saturday Comes had two working titles prior to its final title: A Pint O'Bitter and On the Line (Source: Screen International).

wsc68.jpg

PRINCIPAL CHARACTERS:

Sean Bean ........... Jimmy Muir

Emily Lloyd ......... Annie Doherty

Pete Postlethwaite .. Ken Jackson

Melanie Hill ........ Mary Muir

John McEnery ........ Joe Muir

Craig Kelly ......... Russell Muir

Ann Bell ............ Sarah Muir

Ian Taylor .......... Young Jimmy Muir

Tony Currie ......... Tony Currie

Mel Sterland ........ Captain

wsc88.jpg

PRODUCTION CREDITS:

Production......... James Daly

................... Christopher Lambert

................... Meir Teper

................... Capitol Films

................... (in association

................... with A Pint 'O Bitter

................... Productions)

Direction.......... Maria Giese

Screenplay..........Maria Giese

Cinematography .....Gerry Fisher

Editing............ George Akers

Production Design...Hugo Luczyc-Whyowski

Art Direction.......Luana Hanson

Certificate.........15

Running time........98 minutes

World Charity

Premiere...........27 February 1996

....................Warner Bros. Cinema

....................Meadowhall

Released ...........01 March 1996

wsc1.jpg

Soundtrack Info:

CD, UK 1996, Polygram TV; 532 307-2

Joe Elliot - When Saturday Comes

Anne Dudley - The Beginning

Big Wide World - Throwing It All Away

Tony Hadley - Build Me Up

Gerry & The Pacemakers - You'll Never Walk Alone

Paul Carrack - Eyes Of Blue

Big Wide World - Born To Lose

Glenn Gregory & Martin Fry - Seven Day Weekend

Jeff Beck feat. Rod Stewart - I've Been Drinking

Anne Dudley - Turning Point

Pavarotti - Nessun Dorma

Thin Lizzy - The Boys Are Back In Town

The Undertones - Jimmy Jimmy

Sham 69 - If The Kids Are United

Anne Dudley - Annie's Theme

Jeff Beck - Hi Ho Silver Lining

Paul Carrack - Back On My Feet Again

New Order - World In Motion

Anne Dudley - The Penalty

Joe Elliot - Jimmy's Theme

"When Saturday Comes"

"Jimmy's Theme"

by Joe Elliott, performed by Joe Elliott, Rick Savage, Phil Collen

"Back on My Feet Again"

"Behind Those Eyes of Blue"

written and performed by Paul Carrack

"7 Day Weekend"

by Gregory, Fry, Uriel, performed by Martin Fry and Glenn Gregory

"Build Me Up"

written and performed by Tony Hadley

"Throwing It All Away"

"Born to Lose"

by Petty, Baines, performed by Big Wide World

51j3pV5ZFGL.jpg

Buy The DVD - WHEN SATURDAY COMES

Do you know the exact locations where the film was shot ?

If so - please let us know - post below so we can add to the list and get some pictures of what the area looks like today.

wsc5.jpg

Film locations:

Running Scene - Backmoor Road towards the New Inn in Norton

Semi Final - Bramall Lane

Brewery - Off Rutland Road

Guest Whelk

I could never get over Mel (Zico) Sterland in a Blades team

I sure if I recall Mel said he had an Owls shirt underneath during filming

Guest acquiescefc

In the kids bedroom they had an SWFC team phot or something wednesday related(cant remember exactly, havent seen it in a long time).

'You got a trial, fo' yoonited?' that bit always made me cringe. Worse Sheff accent ever.

Guest plain talker
admin said:
Running Scene - Backmoor Road towards the New Inn in Norton

he runs along Backmoor Road past the "Nailmakers Arms" pub, but what flummoxed me was how he could turn off backmoor road, straight onto a road at fir vale (!! ??!!)

The alley they walk along when "jimmy" and "annie" have the meal out, runs parallell with Sharrow Lane, where Sitwell road used to be, behind Mount Pleasant House. (I'm sure the exterior shot of the restaurant was Rossis, in the old bank building on the very bottom of Sharrow Lane)

the "flat" that "jimmy" rents from a mate, where he "seduces" "annie" was one of the maisonettes along Pye Bank road

(these ones:- http://www.picturesheffield.com/u01765) many thanks again to picture sheffield!

Dalton Brook, Rotherham (Demolished in 1999)

The Corus steelplant at Aldwarke can be seen in the background

I know what you mean

Should never be allowed

lol

Having quoted some classic lines from other Sheffield films in other threads (the last train) I don't think I can quote the best line in this film without being in a lot of trouble with the site administrators.

However, its the line when, after walking out of school with his brother on the last day and going down the pub for some underage drinking they are sat drinking when their dad walks in with his mates on dinner break from walk. When he sees his dad he says ********

Watch the film yourself if you don't already know, - yes its got a very naughty swear word in it but the response is pure class, -typically Sheffield.

Having quoted some classic lines from other Sheffield films in other threads (the last train) I don't think I can quote the best line in this film without being in a lot of trouble with the site administrators.

However, its the line when, after walking out of school with his brother on the last day and going down the pub for some underage drinking they are sat drinking when their dad walks in with his mates on dinner break from walk. When he sees his dad he says ********

Watch the film yourself if you don't already know, - yes its got a very naughty swear word in it but the response is pure class, -typically Sheffield.

Part 1 in SteveHB's YouTube list if you want to watch it.

Film locations at the beginning of the film in part one.

Anns Road School looking towards Gleadless Rd,

the Shakespeare PH in the background.

The Shakespeare on Well Rd had It's name covered and changed

to the 'Fox House' for the filming.

The Landlord at the time of filming was David Fox,

Dave is now retired from the pub trade but still lives in Heeley,

and his name still appears above the door.

Another pub that can be seen in the film (half way into part 2)

the Wentworth House on Milford St. Attercliffe.

Does anyone have any memories of the film being shot ?

Anyone see the production team out and about ?

post-1-1173276062.jpg

This wagon was driven by my Brother-in-Law, who was working at Stones during filming. He used to complain about how they made him pull the wagon into the yard 'dozens' of times, but still bores everyone and anyone with the story, at the slightest opportunity!... Made me grin to see it again....

It was badly acted, no Sheffield-er had an accent that most of those actors spoke

Sean Bean was too good for the movie, he shone in it and he got to play for Sheff United, a dream of his.

Did anyone know that his girlfriend who spoke Irish badly was Triggers(Fools and horses) daughter??

Enough said!!