Mayfield School

madannie77

Glad to see this whilst looking for something else entirely:

Mayfield Environmental Centre

I went there for a week in the mid-seventies, not long after it had become what is now the Enviironmental Centre. It was a bit more basic than the photos on the website show it to be now, and the equipment available was rather more basic. Coming from a big modern school it was a revelation to be in a two-roomed schoolhouse, and the rural nature of the place was equally revealing, despite it being so close to Fulwood and the City.

One activity I do remember was surveying one of the country lanes near the school, using long tape measures and a theodolite. The long multiplication and division needed to complete the survey fell upon me and took an absolute age - no calculators back then. I cannot imagine a group of half a dozen junior school pupils being allowed to wander around the road in this way in the current day.

One thing I can't remember is whether there were indoor toilets when I was there.

Does anyone else have any memories of Mayfield School/Environmental Centre?

madannie77 said:
Glad to see this whilst looking for something else entirely:

Mayfield Environmental Centre

I went there for a week in the mid-seventies, not long after it had become what is now the Enviironmental Centre. It was a bit more basic than the photos on the website show it to be now, and the equipment available was rather more basic. Coming from a big modern school it was a revelation to be in a two-roomed schoolhouse, and the rural nature of the place was equally revealing, despite it being so close to Fulwood and the City.

One activity I do remember was surveying one of the country lanes near the school, using long tape measures and a theodolite. The long multiplication and division needed to complete the survey fell upon me and took an absolute age - no calculators back then. I cannot imagine a group of half a dozen junior school pupils being allowed to wander around the road in this way in the current day.

One thing I can't remember is whether there were indoor toilets when I was there.

Does anyone else have any memories of Mayfield School/Environmental Centre?

My Grandma went to school there, she used to take us to the harvest festival in the chapel behind when we were kids.

There's a little book called "More of Mayfield Valley and old Fulwood" that's still available in the libraries, and there are some reminiscences of the school in there, though long before your time, (and mine!).

I like the story of the lad who got up in the lesson, put on his cap and headed for the door. The teacher asked him where he thought he was going, to which the lad replied "'ome for me dinner".

The teacher told him to sit down, it wasn't dinner time, to which the lad replied "Tha dunt know what we 'ave our dinner".

Then another time a little girl asked to go to the toilet, which were outside earth closets at the time. She didn't come back so the teacher sent another girl to look for her. She didn't come back either, so eventually the teacher went in search of them.

She found the first girl had slipped down the toilet and got wedged, and the other girl was keeping her company!

The child was pulled out and sluiced down under the pump in the yard, and I bet it was freezing too!

Hi madannie77, coming from the area, memories of Mayfield School Environmental Centre involve many family and friends around the valley. - First of all, there were indoor toilets, as you came in the back door, they were on your left, opposite the dining room. -  My friends Mum was MAY QUEEN in the 1930s, when they used to have a parade round, he has a photo of her sat on a high back chair with other girls sat around on the floor, that was taken in the rear field. - In June 1953 for the Queens Coronation Day, a big celebration was held at the School, as it was also used as a Community Centre. There was a Big Parade set off from there and went all round the Valley. It was fronted by Bessie and Norman Wright from Mill House ( now the Animal Sanctuary ) they were dressed as the Queen and Philip, daughters Jane and Pat rode their ponies dressed in Royal Tunics, with a following of people in various costumes, followed by a party going on all afternoon. Commemorative Tea Spoons were handed out engraved with the place and occasion, one of which I have been given by an elderly resident. - Craft and Country Fair days held there were lovely, Pip Fletcher who lived just a couple of doors away, used to give displays on Dry Stone Walling, as he was a local Stone Mason. - Many people used the School for events and meetings, and Children from all over the city used to love going there on the Educational Outings, some of their letters displayed on the walls were very touching. - It is sad that the Council sold it, and it's now been reconfigured into housing, but at least it wasn't flattened thank goodness.