Green House Farm, Fulwood.

Guest Steve C

Guest Steve C

Hi everybody,

Please accept my apologies in advance if I may have placed this post in the wrong section or if this subject is familar to some of you regulars.

I`m currently researching my family tree and a copy taken from the 1911 Census shows some ancestors of mine living at Green House Farm, Fulwood.

Does anyone have any information about this property, know any history or know whether it is still standing today.

Any snippets of information would be great lol

Many thanks Steve

Hi Steve,

Green House Farm is on Andwell Lane in the Mayfield Valley. It's still there and a thriving farm and dog kennels. I have a contact number of the current owners if you want to get in touch.

Mike

Guest Steve C

Hi Steve,

Green House Farm is on Andwell Lane in the Mayfield Valley. It's still there and a thriving farm and dog kennels. I have a contact number of the current owners if you want to get in touch.

Mike

Hiya Mike,

Thankyou very much for taking the time to reply. It is nice to know its still there, as with so many other ancestors the places they used to live are long gone.

Appreciate the offer of a contact telephone number but don`t really think thats going to help much at the moment. Really would like an old photo of the farm, any old stories and info about size etc

Steve

I think I'm right in saying (and Mike will put me right if I'm not!) it was one of the farms in the valley bought by JG Graves in the 1930's and given to the City, and is still owned by the City Council.

The farmer in 1845 was Philip Andrew (Andwell Lane was originally Andrew Lane), and in 1853 he was followed by Charles Hutchinson.

The story goes that Mrs Hutchinson liked to be a regular church-goer, but Christ Church at Fulwood was a lengthy walk away, and she persuaded her father, a butcher in Sheffield named Fawley, to build a chapel across the lane in the corner of the field at the junction of Andrew (Andwell) lane and Bassett Lane.

It was a very small stone building, around 16ft by 12 ft, and on the stone lintel over the door was carved "God is Love". The first service was conducted and sermon preached by the Rev. W. Morley Punshon.

The chapel was only used for around 20 years, 1853-1873. By 1942 it was in a delapidated state and eventually it was demolished and all trace removed, except for the lintel with its carving, which lay in the corner of the field for many years.

It was a landmark for a long time, and children going home from Mayfield School would describe their route home as "going past God is Love".

The lintel disppeared quite a long time ago and was assumed lost, but in fact it turned up just a couple of years ago, built into the wall of an outhouse nearby (not at the farm.)

P.S. And welcome to the forum Steve!

Guest Steve C

Hiya Bayleaf,

Many thanks for the welcome and thank you very much for your reply, the information and the story of Mrs Hutchinson.

William Brocksopp was the head of the family that ran Green House Farm according to the 1911 Census. I don`t know how long before or after 1911 he occupied the farm. Although I do have a christening for a daughter in 1903 and at that time they are living at Brownhills Farm but don`t know nothing about that address either! However, it appears he had several family members in the Fulwood area listed in the directories.

1905 Whites diectory of Sheffield shows :-

Benjamin Brocksopp, butcher, 370 Fulwood Road.

Benjamin Brocksopp, farmer, Carsick Road.

John Brocksopp, butcher, 213-215 Fulwood Road.

John Henry Brocksopp, grocer, 144, Hay & Straw dealer 138 Whitham Road.

William Brocksopp, farmer, Fulwood.

Don`t know whether there are any Brocksopp`s in the area today?

Many thanks Steve

Brownhills Farm still exists but I think as a 'gentrified ' residence rather than a working farm. It's interesting that many of the farms in the Porter and Mayfield Valleys have gone that way, but much of the farmland is still farmed by the remaining 'active' farms who now rent the land of the former farms.

Hiya Bayleaf,

Many thanks for the welcome and thank you very much for your reply, the information and the story of Mrs Hutchinson.

William Brocksopp was the head of the family that ran Green House Farm according to the 1911 Census. I don`t know how long before or after 1911 he occupied the farm. Although I do have a christening for a daughter in 1903 and at that time they are living at Brownhills Farm but don`t know nothing about that address either! However, it appears he had several family members in the Fulwood area listed in the directories.

1905 Whites diectory of Sheffield shows :-

Don`t know whether there are any Brocksopp`s in the area today?

Many thanks Steve

Benjamin Brocksopp, Butcher

1893 322 Fulwood Road, Ranmoor

1911, 1919 and 1925 370 Fulwood Road

----------------------------------------------------------------

Also for your consideration :

Harry Brocksopp Butcher, 136 Whitham Road, 1893

John Brocksopp Butcher, 213 Fulwood Road, 1893

Norman Brocksopp Butcher, 213 & 215 Fulwood Road, 1911, 1919 and 1925

William Brocksopp Farmer 1905, 1911, 1925

Mrs Brocksopp Farmer, Fulwood, 1925

We're lucky to have any farms in the valley at all. I remember stories during the 60s about someone who was trying to buy tham all so he could knock them down in order to build a golf course!

We're lucky to have any farms in the valley at all. I remember stories during the 60s about someone who was trying to buy tham all so he could knock them down in order to build a golf course!

The version I heard was that it was the Council. They own several of the farms in the valley, and planned to build a golf course, which is why they demolished Bower Hill Farm, but never got around to doing anything else. The Bower Hill land is now mostly farmed by Greenhouse Lane farm.

Guest Steve C

Many thanks Bayleaf, Richardb and Mike,

Thank you all very much for taking the time and interest in this thread, great information and photos, exactly what I was hoping for.

I`ve done a very quick search and can not any Brocksopp`s in the area now :( The butchers shop at 370 Fulwood Road is still mentioned but the proprietor is now J A Howson..

Thanks again Steve

All these addresses are Ranmoor/Broomhill some way from Fulwood. Also I've never heard of the name Brocksopp in these parts even though it would appear they were present in at least two of the Mayfield farms.

The christening document you mention - does it indicate which Church?

Many thanks Bayleaf, Richardb and Mike,

Thank you all very much for taking the time and interest in this thread, great information and photos, exactly what I was hoping for.

I`ve done a very quick search and can not any Brocksopp`s in the area now :( The butchers shop at 370 Fulwood Road is still mentioned but the proprietor is now J A Howson..

Thanks again Steve

You're welcome Steve, hope to hear from you again soon!

Guest Steve C

All these addresses are Ranmoor/Broomhill some way from Fulwood. Also I've never heard of the name Brocksopp in these parts even though it would appear they were present in at least two of the Mayfield farms.

The christening document you mention - does it indicate which Church?

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the clarification of the addresses. I didn`t realise that they were not Fulwood addresses. The christening information was obtained from the Sheffield Indexers website. This is what it details :-

Brocksopp, Doris Patience (of Brownhills Farm, Fulwood, born 1903-04-21).

Baptised June 8, 1903, by J.H. Hewlett at Christ Church, Fulwood.

Parents name(s) are Eliza & William James (Farmer).

Steve

Guest Steve C

You're welcome Steve, hope to hear from you again soon!

You`ll keep hearing from me from time to time as long as I keep getting replies, especially if they all turn out as well as this thread.

I`ve actually just made contact with an elderly relative who is the Grand Daughter of William Brocksopp who lived at Brownhills and Green House Farms. I`m hoping she may be able to come up with some information although I do know she never knew her Grand Parents.

I`ll be popping back no doubt with questions and generally trying to pick peoples brains :)

Steve

Hi Steve,

I think my Andrew family lived at the same farm early 19thC - some more information here :

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/i...amp;#entry27120

You`ll keep hearing from me from time to time as long as I keep getting replies, especially if they all turn out as well as this thread.

I`ve actually just made contact with an elderly relative who is the Grand Daughter of William Brocksopp who lived at Brownhills and Green House Farms. I`m hoping she may be able to come up with some information although I do know she never knew her Grand Parents.

I`ll be popping back no doubt with questions and generally trying to pick peoples brains :)

Steve

Hi Steve

I was up the valley this morning so I took a couple of photos. You'll see they're very different, Green House farm is very much a working farm, one of the few left in the valley. Brownhills on the other hand is very much a private residence. The photo is taken from across the valley, as it can't be seen from Brownhills Lane.

Green House farm

Brownhills Farm

regards

Bayleaf

Guest Steve C

Hiya Dunsbyowl,

Thank you very much for the link. Much appreciated.

Hiya Bayleaf,

Many sincere thanks for taking those photos for me, I hope you didn`t have to make a special trip.

I have copied them to disc together with the Google Earth pics so I can get them printed off and sent to my elderly relation.

Steve

Guest zyrabernard

The chapel was only used for around 20 years, 1853-1873. By 1942 it was in a delapidated state and eventually it was demolished and all trace removed, except for the lintel with its carving, which lay in the corner of the field for many years.

It was a landmark for a long time, and children going home from Mayfield School would describe their route home as "going past God is Love".

yours,

zyra

Simulation pret immobilier

yours,

zyra

The carved lintel is still around. It's built into the wall of a building nearby.

A couple of pictures from Picture Sheffield :-

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s05039

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s06388

The second picture is Bassett Cottages across the lane from the farm. It was originally Basset Farm, a tiny holding with just 4 or 5 small fields. Like a lot of the farms in the Porter and Mayfield valleys, it's now a highly des res, divorced from the land, which is farmed by the remaining working farms.

When first married in the early eighties we looked at renting part of Basset cottage, but at the time they needed too much work doing to be close to habitable