Waterthorpe and westfield

miamivice

Does anyone have pictures of waterthorpe and westfield before the housing estates were built?

Now there's a memory. Back in the early 70's Sheffield Rd/Beighton Rd ran past Carter Lodge School (now Rainbow Forge) to Beighton. If you stood by this road with your back towards Hackenthorpe it was all countryside til you got to Halfway traffic crossroads, where the Tram park and ride is. There must be some photo's about.

Now there's a memory. Back in the early 70's Sheffield Rd/Beighton Rd ran past Carter Lodge School (now Rainbow Forge) to Beighton. If you stood by this road with your back towards Hackenthorpe it was all countryside til you got to Halfway traffic crossroads, where the Tram park and ride is. There must be some photo's about.

OK Stuart, so before Waterthorpe was built you lived at Hackenthorpe.

But when Waterthorpe was built you went and lived there for a couple of years when the estate was brand new. In fact when you moved in they were still building the rest of your street and we had to wait ages for them to finish that boozer at Waterthorpe (Hawk & Dove??? I think???) and had to walk back to Hackenthorpe just to get a few pints.

I was rather hoping that you would have a few pictures of "The Building of Waterthorpe, 1979 - 81" in your collection of archive pictures.

But when Waterthorpe was built you went and lived there for a couple of years when the estate was brand new. In fact when you moved in they were still building the rest of your street and we had to wait ages for them to finish that boozer at Waterthorpe (Hawk & Dove??? I think???) and had to walk back to Hackenthorpe just to get a few pints.

I was rather hoping that you would have a few pictures of "The Building of Waterthorpe, 1979 - 81" in your collection of archive pictures.

Afraid I don't have much from around that time, now there was another missed opportunity

My apologies, I don't know anything about Waterthorpe or indeed 1979-81 though I was resident in Sheffield at the time - wrong Century for me maybe :rolleyes:

Afraid I don't have much from around that time, now there was another missed opportunity

A bit of a mystery location lol but proper to this topic

The house looks to me as if is one built on Redfern estate at waterthorpe, judging on the background. Does anyone have any pictures memories of westfield when it was built or in the past? Does anyone have a picture of waterthorpe farm for example?

I thought you would have, - didn't you do a lot of colour slide work using a Practika and then a canon camera around this time?

I think that this could be your first house which was built in 1979 and you moved into in 1980.

But I am not giving the game away on the location though to give others a chance.

I thought you would have, - didn't you do a lot of colour slide work using a Practika and then a canon camera around this time?

A bit before this time, again missed opportunities, should have realised what changes were happening, but had other priorities as a lad in my early 20's lol

(how much a pint was beer then lol )

A bit before this time, again missed opportunities, should have realised what changes were happening, but had other priorities as a lad in my early 20's lol

(how much a pint was beer then lol )

I remember a night in The Fellbrigg after the 1979 budget and I was sat with that well known local character "Little Sid"

He used to come in the pub with "ten bob" (50p) and buy 2 pints of beer all night.

He was a really old guy who loved to make silly sounds and mimic the music so he also liked to put the odd record on the Juke Box

Beer had gone up in the budget to 25p a pint from 20p a pint.

His exact words on the matter that night were :

"Tha used ter be a'll ter goo int boozer an get 2 pints a beer an 'av a record ont juke box fer ten bob, - naar tha dunt get thi record"

1979 -80 price of a pint about 5 shillings (25p), record on the Juke Box around 10p

Translated from "The World according to Little Sid"

Are they floodlights that I can see on the left hand side of the photo?

Are they floodlights that I can see on the left hand side of the photo?

Well spotted, yes I think they are :)

I don't know what date it is so I'm not sure of what was there at the time but -

Sothall off to the left and the field on the right going up to Mosboro' top.

I have in mind the fields round Hackenthorpe village. Possibly where we used to call Camps Bottom.

I'll have a look for a map when I get time to point out where I mean.

I don't know what date it is so I'm not sure of what was there at the time but -

Sothall off to the left and the field on the right going up to Mosboro' top.

I have in mind the fields round Hackenthorpe village. Possibly where we used to call Camps Bottom.

I'll have a look for a map when I get time to point out where I mean.

Was 1979, think the floodlights would be Westfield school, possibly, yes Mosboro on the the hill to the right. Look at DaveH's post.

Will have to do a then & now

Was 1979, think the floodlights would be Westfield school, possibly, yes Mosboro on the the hill to the right. Look at DaveH's post.

Will have to do a then & now

I want to say Edenthorpe Grove or possibly Lundwood but I don't think they are as old as 1979.

Wherever it is it's near Camps Bottom. So I'm going to have to say the Bottom of Brook Lane. Not very confident because where I think it actually should be is either too modern or still not built on. :angry:

I want to say Edenthorpe Grove or possibly Lundwood but I don't think they are as old as 1979.

Wherever it is it's near Camps Bottom. So I'm going to have to say the Bottom of Brook Lane. Not very confident because where I think it actually should be is either too modern or still not built on. :angry:

A bit earlier, wrong side of Moss Way. Unfortunately Google SV does not cover the east side of Moss Way, there goes my planned Then & Now, will have to visit the old place.

http://www.multimap.com/maps/?qs=moss+way&...Galley%20drive|

Courtesy of Google Earth

Not to far away VOX :)

So what did they call that boozer they finally built at the other end of the estate? Was it the Hawk and Dove?

Remember we went in when it first opened, the internal decor was bare brick. Landlord asked us what we thought of his new pub and he wasn't impressed when I asked when the plasterers and decorators were coming round to finish the job off. Didn't quite get barred on that first night though (1981 I think).

So what did they call that boozer they finally built at the other end of the estate? Was it the Hawk and Dove?

Remember we went in when it first opened, the internal decor was bare brick. Landlord asked us what we thought of his new pub and he wasn't impressed when I asked when the plasterers and decorators were coming round to finish the job off. Didn't quite get barred on that first night though (1981 I think).

Yes Hawk and Dove, Wards Boozer.

http://www.multimap.com/maps/?qs=galley+dr...galley%20drive|

I remember moving to Waterthorpe Rise just above Shortbrook Primary School in 1976, there were only 2 parts of the estates built then, the private houses between the school and Beighton, and the council estate between the school and halfway, and the Mill Pub. The estate towards Westfield Comp was not built until about 1980 ish, as I remember walking down Challonder? Way while it was being surfaced when I first went to Westfield Upper School

I remember moving to Waterthorpe Rise just above Shortbrook Primary School in 1976, there were only 2 parts of the estates built then, the private houses between the school and Beighton, and the council estate between the school and halfway, and the Mill Pub. The estate towards Westfield Comp was not built until about 1980 ish, as I remember walking down Challonder? Way while it was being surfaced when I first went to Westfield Upper School

Does anyone have any memories of the estate when it was first built or any of what was there prior to developing it as a housing estate?

Does anyone have any memories of the estate when it was first built or any of what was there prior to developing it as a housing estate?

I don't know if you have come across them .. ?

But I have added some 1931 maps that cover most of the Waterthorpe and Westfield areas.

they can be seen in the 'Other Maps/Plans/Layouts, Sheffield and district' Topic .. Here

Most of the area around shortbrook and Waterthorpe was farmland. The area where Crystal Peaks is now, was a great area for holly at Christmas, remember my Dad falling out of the tree and hurting his back, all the dog could do weas nick his hat and run off with it!

Donesk way was where we used to have to do Cross Country Runs from Westfield.

• Thanks 1