Richardsons

Waterside Echo

Richardsons operated a much needed and successful service to Manchester Airport for many years, then SYT took control. Result, service terminated in less than a year. W/E

Richardsons operated a much needed and successful service to Manchester Airport for many years, then SYT took control. Result, service terminated in less than a year. W/E

Not sure of the exact chronology, but was the Manchester Airport service badly affected by the opening of Manchester Airport Station and BR starting direct trains from Sheffield to the airport in the early 1990s?

Richardsons also started a direct service from Sheffield to Kimberworth and Greasbrough following de-regulation, something no other operator ever did. I suppose this also disappeared after SYT took over.

I don't seem to have ever photographed any Richardsons coaches or buses....hangs head in shame.....Hopefully someone out there can stir up a few memories.

Not sure of the exact chronology, but was the Manchester Airport service badly affected by the opening of Manchester Airport Station and BR starting direct trains from Sheffield to the airport in the early 1990s?

Richardsons also started a direct service from Sheffield to Kimberworth and Greasbrough following de-regulation, something no other operator ever did. I suppose this also disappeared after SYT took over.

I don't seem to have ever photographed any Richardsons coaches or buses....hangs head in shame.....Hopefully someone out there can stir up a few memories.

Found something to make me a bit happier. courtesy of John Law again.

My memory is obviously going, because I don't remember Richardsons having any double deckers.

SYT carried on operating the service 40 in conjunction with the X49 as it ran every 2 hours and connected with the Airport Link in CBS, it was withdrawn at the same time as the X49. I think most if not all of Richardsons fleet were disposed of on takeover. The Leopard in the picture was one of 4 purchased from a dealer by SYT and given the Airport Link livery. At least one of these coaches eventually finished up with Thompsons of Rotherham. W/E,

Guest bus man

One of the reasons the SYT operation failed was that the frequeny was chaned from around 4 a day to one every 2 hours or so , the richardson service was well planned and customer friendly on option was you could go to the depot pay a fee to park your car and get on the bus there , this saved you money in parking at manchester airport and was very popular

Guest mandator

One of the reasons the SYT operation failed was that the frequeny was chaned from around 4 a day to one every 2 hours or so , the richardson service was well planned and customer friendly on option was you could go to the depot pay a fee to park your car and get on the bus there , this saved you money in parking at manchester airport and was very popular

I remember Richardsons .When I was on nights in the 80s I used Woodhead 5/6 times a week and they were a regular sight at all times en route to Manchester airport.The coaches seemed to be patronised well.

How true your words are busman. Most of Richardsons passengers were on first name terms with their drivers. As like most private coach operators the passenger came first and I remember the bad feeling very well when word got around that they were being taken for a ride [literally] by a Sheffield bus driver. Echo`s of ,get on, sit down and shut up. Regards, W/E.

In the SYPTE timetable book for March 1989, Richardson's route to Manchester Airport (X49) ran from Sheffield every two hours from 0350 to 2150, with an additional departure at 0050. Richardsons was bought by SYT on 26th June 1989, which suggests the service frequency was increased before SYT took over.