Jaunty Park

DaveH

On Hollinsend Road the section between the Hollin Bush and Frith Road at the side of Gleadless Juniour school is all completely open.

There is a steep slope down into the valley from this point.

Today it has been largely allowed to "go back to nature" but when it was cultivated this was a popular spot for sledging after a heavy fall of snow (last time I can remember that happening was the winter of 1996 - 97)

This panorama is from the top of the hill across the park looking southwards.

Having said that, the panorama spans almost a full 360 degrees. All that is missing to join it up is the Hollin Bush car park. I didn't want to join the ends as I am unsure how both the stitching software and the website display would deal with an "endless" picture.

Hello

I used to live at Intake and as you say the steep slope was very popular for sledging.We always knew the slope as Shepherds hill but don't know if this is just a local name for it. Any ideas on why it would be called this?

Hello

I used to live at Intake and as you say the steep slope was very popular for sledging.We always knew the slope as Shepherds hill but don't know if this is just a local name for it. Any ideas on why it would be called this?

All of this area of SE Sheffield was until fairly recent times mainly farming land. It is possible, but I think unlikely, that sheep were kept here as the name may imply. Unlikely because the local farms were mainly arable farms and not livestock, possible because such a steep bank is not really suitable for much else.

However it is noticable that many of the farms in the area were known by the OWNERS surname rather than the actual name of the farm like Cartledge's farm (Intake) and Fox's farm (Gleadless Common). Could it be that Shepherd is the surname of a local farmerwho owned / worked this piece of land?

To be honest I don't know the answer but I think the answer may be in Pauline Shearstones book "A History of Gleadless" which is proving very difficult to track down.

Anyone got a copy that could look this up for us please?

A panoramic view over Jaunty Park to the Hollinsend / Intake estates beyond taken from a high viewpoint just off the peak at Fox lane, Frechville.

A panoramic view over Jaunty Park to the Hollinsend / Intake estates beyond taken from a high viewpoint just off the peak at Fox lane, Frechville.

There is also an entrance to the park on Fox lane close to the point where the previous view was taken.

If this is now an entrance it means that the park straddles over that top stream and goes up the hill all the way to Frechville.

It would include all the fields which were previously part of Frechville / Thornbridge school (and their fields were quite extensive) but the school itself has now gone and been replaced with a housing development.

Altogether this makes Jaunty Park a very sizable area in total.

On 21/06/2009 at 14:07, DaveH said:

The Brook leaves the park in the dip of the valley near Intake Bus Terminus / Birley Squash Club on Mansfield Road / Birley Moor Road.

The picture shows its approach to this point from within the park.

After leaving the park the brook flows on eastward through to the city estate which bears it name (Shirebrook, S13)

Shire Brook was so called because for many years it marked the boundary between 2 "shires", The West Riding of YorkSHIRE which contained Sheffield and North East DerbySHIRE which contained Frechville.

That is why the bus terminus was at Intake (beyond that you were in Derbyshire) and why the road name changes from Mansfield Road to Birley Moor Road (different shire names). Not that long ago road name signs on Mansfield Road were correctly marked S12, while those on Birley Moor Road didn't say S12 but something like "Rural Borough Of Chesterfield".

That has all changed now as Sheffield has long since expanded its borders southwards and the boundary is now between Mosborough and Eckington.

The Shirebrook is also the historic boundary between The KIngdom's of Mercia and Northumbria, It was confirmed by Sheffield Council staff that it is still the historic boundary between Yorkshire and Derbyshire as only the former villages became administered by Sheffield Council