'A Pub on Every Corner'

There are thirty one maps in total,

all comments are welcome.

One thing Richard forgot to mention was the date of publication,

anybody got any ideas?

Town Centre 01.pdf

West St/Division St 02.pdf

Broad Ln/ Brook Hill 03.pdf

According to Sheffield Library catalogue it was 1988.

Thanks Gramps.

Not sure as to how accurate these maps are,

I have noticed on a couple

that some of the pubs seem to be marked on the wrong part of the street/road.

Fitzwilliam St/The Moor. 04.pdf

Campo Ln/Tenter St. 05.pdf

Solly St/West Bar. 06.pdf

Meadow St/Shalesmoor. 07.pdf

Corporation St/West Bar. 08.pdf

Fargate/High St. 09.pdf

According to all the research I've done on Cross Smithfield through books ,census forms , wills and maps etc

the odd numbers like 29 was on the opposite side of the road to what is suggested.

The building at the end of Cross Smithfield which still stands today [renovated] is number 32/30 some Studio.

You can find this on Google Street Map and the very same building is on Picture Library although it had an

arch in the past.

According to all the research I've done on Cross Smithfield through books ,census forms , wills and maps etc

the odd numbers like 29 was on the opposite side of the road to what is suggested.

The building at the end of Cross Smithfield which still stands today [renovated] is number 32/30 some Studio.

You can find this on Google Street Map and the very same building is on Picture Library although it had an

arch in the past.

Thanks UKL, it shows that the maps aren't 100% accurate

here are the links you mention,

I think I've got them right .. ?

Google SV. 30 Cross Smithfield (the building on the right with the shutter down)

picturesheffield s14782

Guest Gramps

Steve, I think what you need to know is what date range is covered by the maps, ie earliest and latest dates.

For instance on the 1850 OS map on Pond street only three pubs are shown between Pond Hill and Harmer lane - the Royal Oak, the Grapes and the Barrel. These are about where they're shown on your pdf map but the OS map has no property numbers.

On Pond hill I only have the Black Swan and the Horse and Jockey. I don't believe the Queen's Head was opened as a pub until 1853/4.

I suspect the pubs on your pdf maps have been put there on the strength of their appearance in street directories, perhaps over a span of fifty years or more.

Pubs come and go - time waits for no man he he

Steve, I think what you need to know is what date range is covered by the maps, ie earliest and latest dates.

For instance on the 1850 OS map on Pond street only three pubs are shown between Pond Hill and Harmer lane - the Royal Oak, the Grapes and the Barrel. These are about where they're shown on your pdf map but the OS map has no property numbers.

On Pond hill I only have the Black Swan and the Horse and Jockey. I don't believe the Queen's Head was opened as a pub until 1853/4.

I suspect the pubs on your pdf maps have been put there on the strength of their appearance in street directories, perhaps over a span of fifty years or more.

I wouldn't know where to start Gramps .. lol

Here are some more to ponder on.

Barkers Pool/The Moor 10.pdf

The Moor 11.pdf

Pond St/Shoreham St 12.pdf

Banks (upside down) Haymarket/Wicker map,

and a side by side comparison with our 1954 OS map.

There is no date range mentioned with the maps, no start and end date at all. Posted just out of interest, to see if we've missed any, to see if any are glaringly incorrect/ to identify possible duplicates/pubs that have been re-named and we haven't noticed it so far.

Maybe to transpose the best information we have onto a (mutually agreed) old Sheffield map - see if we can do better than the originals.

Holiday going fine, may return a day early; I'm really suffering with the heat - I was promised rain, drizzle and midgies - all we've had is heat too extreme for a fat blokie like me that really doesn't do "Sun" - all this up on a level with Inverness, Scotlandshire.

Bulls Head Cross Smithfield

I believe the Bulls Head is about the right place as marked but I think the number was 24.

Take a look at these 1851 census forms, my family lived at number 22 Cross Smithfield

then came the Bulls Head with Elijah Eyre as beerhouse keeper then number 26 my family again.

London Rd/Bramall Ln. 21.pdf

Corporation St/Ball St. 22.pdf

Upper Allen St/Addy St. 23.pdf

In Lamb's book on pub the Alexander on Dover street is marked number 23 in the middle of the block

which is quite right as I use to live there but it was never a pub.

Banks's book shows it on the corner which makes it number 13 where my old play mate lived.

You will see what I mean with these pictures from Sheffield Library Pictures.

Link to picturesheffield

Link to picturesheffield02 number 13 Dover St.

Bulls Head Cross Smithfield

I believe the Bulls Head is about the right place as marked but I think the number was 24.

Take a look at these 1851 census forms, my family lived at number 22 Cross Smithfield

then came the Bulls Head with Elijah Eyre as beerhouse keeper then number 26 my family again.

Thanks UKL,

a link to the Bulls Head in the main index.

I will let Richard make the amendments.

In Lamb's book on pub the Alexander on Dover street is marked number 23 in the middle of the block

which is quite right as I use to live there but it was never a pub.

Banks's book shows it on the corner which makes it number 13 where my old play mate lived.

You will see what I mean with these pictures from Sheffield Library Pictures.

Link to picturesheffield

Link to picturesheffield02 #13 Dover St.

A little confusing as we have the Alexander down as number 31 :huh:

link here

Number 13 on the corner of Ellison St, looks to be right ukelele lady.

Map #30

shows the Waggon & Horses on Gleadless Rd.

The address is correct (236) but it's markd in the wrong location,

the Waggon stands and has always stood on the corner of Kent Rd/Gleadless Rd.

The 'Newfield Inn' also stood on a corner (Denmark Rd/Penns Rd.)

A little confusing as we have the Alexander down as number 31 :huh:

link here

Number 13 on the corner of Ellison St, looks to be right ukelele lady.

I think the 31 was a typing error. :(

Neepsend Ln/Infirmary Rd 24.pdf

Bradfield Rd/Langset Rd 25.pdf

Penistone Rd/Shalesmoor 26.pdf

W. Banks map of Mongomery Terrace road doesn't make it clear which side of the road is number16 but I can assure

you the even numbers are on the right hand side where I use to live, looking up towards the Infirmary.

Unlike D. Lambs book which suggests Montgomery hotel was number 1 in the middle of the block on that side.

There doesn't seem to be any mention of a Montgomery Hotel in the directories in the City Library but in 1876 to 1883

a Harriett Hawthorne had a beer house at number 16 also in 1917 Walter Wostenholm had beerhouse at 14/16.